1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Targeting a quality, young, defensive C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 30, 2010.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Would love to get Okafor. Depends on whether or not Less will want his contract. He could make the current team a contender.

2. anchel

anchel Member

I agree that McGee would be interesting. Physical specimen. 9' 6.5" standing reach. At his 3rd year in the league, it would be a perfect moment to go to him. He dominanted us in Washington. Those young players with potential they work by motivation. He could improve his consistency on a winning program.

3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Like McGee, Jordan, and any other young player who focuses on rebounding and blocking shots. Plus get Hakeem on the payroll to teach them how to keep block shots in play and score in the paint.

4. anchel

anchel Member

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-w...zards-trade-rumors-javale-mcgee-not-available

Contrary to the previously cited report from Alex Kennedy of Hoops World that the Wizards would be interested in trading either Andray Blatch or JaVale McGee, it appears that McGee is not actually on the market, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post.

The [Western Conference] executives said McGee is "not yet" on the market, despite reports to the contrary. McGee, a third-year center who participated in Team USA tryouts last summer, is averaging career highs of 9 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.5 blocks. But he is still playing on his rookie contract, which pays him $1.6 million this season and would limit what he could bring back in return.

"JaVale seems very not available," one of the executives said.

McGee and Blatche were both suspended for a game last week due to an altercation at a D.C. night club. The two young big men might have aggressive and somewhat clashing personalities, but let's just hope that this doesn't turn into another Brendan Haywood / Etan Thomas affair where neither player can remain on the roster with the other.

5. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Dallas has like 4 centres. Has anyone seen Ajinca or Mahimi play? Are they any good?

I really like Sanders, Jordan and Whiteside. Thabeet would be interesting too.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Throw me in the Okafor camp. He can be had because of his contract if you could somehow pull in CP3 ala my sig then life is perfect. Maybe a Yao, AB, Hill and Jeffries for CP3 and Okafor. Hornets get cheaper and similar players in AB and Hill while we get our closer and defensive big man. This is almost fair if you think of the cap relief the Hornets are getting by getting out from under Okafor's contract.

Another consideration is David West is a FA after this season maybe the Hornets feel they can't or won't resign him. So maybe West and Okafor?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

With New Orleans being owned by the league, I don't believe they will make any moves until they have a new owner.

DD

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

There was one game the Mavs were playing the Warriors and Chandler was out that Ajinca came in and was beasting. He was gassed after about 6 minutes though.

Honestly, unless the Rockets are really looking to shake up the roster that's the type of young defensive center you'd be getting...scraps. Why would anyone give up a young quality big (knowing how rare they are) without getting something significant in return?

I doubt Budinger or one of our other minor trading chips will be enough to get any young big that has shown anything. It would have to take the Rockets rolling the dice on a project or trading major rotation players or taking back a massive bad contract.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I liked Ajinca in the draft better than Jordan and McGee.

I'm about ready to take a flyer on Sean Williams if we could create a roster spot. Low risk and he is balling it up in D-League. Hopefully if he has gotten over his boneheaded ways, he could be pretty special defensively.

Le Freak Elastique

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

again, we need a damn center, not a PF.

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Verajao and Scola. Talk about flopping. :p

12. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Well yes thats what I am saying, the guy would give us a double double and 2 blocks a game and he will plug the middle. My only problem is that he gets paid to much. At least if we got CP3 along with him it makes the move a bit more positive.

And yes my trades are ambitious but the trade with the hornets I thought was more realistic.

13. gah

gah Member

Morey needs to arrive to NO with his Ipad and explain how we are the only team capable of cleaning up their house in one day, in case they or the new owner wants a clean slate (as often happens) We would take responsibility for Paul, Okafor, hell if needed even of Ariza (God forbid), even their scouts if they feel a little Grizzly.

The dream trade for Paul kills two birds in one shot, it nets us the superstar and the defensive C. Morey, do something before I lose it further please.

Back to topic, I'd like Nene and Varejao. Young guys and reasonable contracts for what both bring to the table. Imagine us needing a stop at the last play of a playoffs game and rolling with Chuck and Varejao out there.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Probably very available -- he was D-Leagued today by the Thunder.

Not sure I like him that much, though. Really a project. We need someone who's already capable of playing some minutes at the NBA level.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why would he NBA have more success selling the team than the previous owner...absent changing he roster? It's a unique situation for sure, but I think they have to make some moves and as long as those moves are as free and clear of "other" motives.

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

NeNe.

Gives us toughness, defense and scoring.

Plus, I'm good friends with his family, so it would be all good. :)

17. akiracy

akiracy Member

SERGE IBAKA!!

18. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

We need to trade in our assets for

AL HORFORD

and

JOSH SMIth

Both are athletic, defensive-minded, and extremely capable in the offensive end I wouldn't mind for just one.

Also, they're relatively young :grin:

get'r done

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I didn't see any mention of B.J. Mullens or Kyrylo Fesenko. The Thunder has a wealth of centers and Fesenko will be a FA next summer.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If they want to keep it in New Orleans then they might struggle....if they open it up to move, there are a lot of people in Seattle that would want the team, and Chris Paul along with it.

DD