1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Targeting a quality, young, defensive C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 30, 2010.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As usual. :rolleyes: Camby has always been injury prone.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Unfortunately, he's more than MLE $. Which is why I framed my comments on what a new CBA might do to the Celtics' payroll structure.

With no major changes to the CBA, I'm guessingf Kendrick Perkins has a market value close to Scola. In the $8M/year range. But if there's an LTax, he obvioulsy costs more to the C's.

I'd have said more than $8M but Marc Gasol, Delambert, Krstic (OKC), Tyson Chandler, Kwame Brown, Nazr Mohammad, Jeff Foster, and Joel Pryzbilla will all be in the same market place eating up some of both the interest and $.

I've not sure how the Rockets (or CFans) feels about Glen Davis. But years ago the Heat did an interesting gambit on the Clippers. The Heat knew the Clipps would only sign one of Elton Brand or Lamar Odom. They threw max money at Brand and when Sterling matched, they got a better deal on Odom.

If Perkins can't be obtained, Davis would be interesting. Although possibly not starter material. But likley affordable after Perkins. If the Rockets had to part with Luis to obtain a starting big man, Davis would be a good rotational big IMHO.

Wouldn't a crystal ball be nice to establish the next CBA? :)

3. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

I guess will defer to your reasoning but how do you even know this? Seems like something one could never prove since no player gets two chances to develop under each team. Every good big we have now came in with a proficient skillset with PatPat being solid across the board, hell the guy was shooting 3's in college well (Hayes post defense, Scola's footwork, Miller is a vet). Bring back Landry and if he gets better again here then I'll believe we develop big men well. The only guy I see developing was Yao and that could just be because the guy was a talent and we'll never know.

What I do know is Hakeem would probably love to work with Thabeet and visa-versa.

+1. I don't buy into this season saving trade business, make a good trade and explore options for the future, once we do that, free agency is a possibility with how many expiring contracts we have if we don't make that big trade.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

What about trading some of the Rockets expiring contracts or what not for Troy Murphy on the Nets. He has just asked for a trade, and the Nets (who are "done" dealing with Melo) have essentially told him that they will honor his request.

He is an expiring contract of $11 million, so he would basically be for a stretch run this year if the organization thinks the Rockets can make the playoffs.

He is more of PF, but a very good rebounder & shooter. You could say that we already have him in Brad Miller, but I think he is a better rebounder and defender than Miller is.

Of course, the Rockets only do this if there is no other moves on the table...

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Thats a real interesting chart. I have never seen that one before.

7. Roxs-Redemption

I wish we can just steal Channing Fyre or Robin Lopez off from PHX :(

Great Chart.. :eek: but it took me a while to figure the numbers...
    -I wish i can rep the guy who posted on the blog :grin: :grin:

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Just looking up some stats for centers and was surprised by Biedrins's AST%. The guy fits our needs of a 7 foot shot blocker and rebounder, with the added bonus of being young and might actually fit in to our high post with his passing.

But most importantly, he seems to be obtainable. Similar to Kevin Martin last year with the wrist injury, Biedrins had an awful down year with injuries, and reaggravating it by coming back too early. So much so that his contract is viewed as bad nowadays. This seems to me as a prime candidate for buying low. $9M a year for a 24 year old center who was averaging a solid double double before the injuries would have looked like a steal before the setbacks.

If we could sell the Warriors on a salary dump, we could maybe get him+filler for Yao?

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Doesn't our high post offense require our big guys to be able to hit the 15 footer? Biedrins is incapable of that -- I'm not sure how much we'd utilize his passing skills when opposing teams would not be forced to play tight on him. He's also a God awful free throw shooter (no, seriously.. imagine a bad FT shooter and Andris is 2x worse than him) and has been playing in the GSW his entire career (inflated stats?).

I'd rather us not tie $9M a year into a guy like that, especially since he doesn't exactly take us over the top as far as contending. I'm not even sure we make the playoffs with Andris on this current team. I know we have a huge hole in the middle, but we need to be smart about our $ and not get desperate.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I once saw this guy get 24 rebounds in a game. I haven't seen him play much, so i can't speak to how good he is, but he averages 8.6 rebounds, a block, and a steal per 26 minutes (very impressive). I can't figure out why he's not getting more minutes for Golden State.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Pass on Biedrins.

If I wanted a tall, athletic shotblocker good for the occasional throw-down that otherwise can't defend anybody one-on-one or do anything offensively I'd go after Birdman instead. He gets paid half as much money.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Interesting idea, I like it. Reduces flexibility going in to 2012 though, depending on what we send back.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

1. That's what I thought about Adelman's system before too, that the bigs need to be able to shoot to create spacing. However watching Hayes excel at it, he runs it nearly as well as Brad Miller, shows me that it can still be effective as long as the big can drive and pass.

2. His raw numbers might be inflated due to a high pace but not his defensive rating, rebounding rate, block rate, assist% etc.

3. Biedrins certainly does not make us a contender. But to get any competent center not on rookie scale means a salary of at least that. Think Noah, Marc Gasol, Bynum etc. So it is either go without a center period, or pony up the cash. If he can go back to his preinjury double double then $9M wouldn't be desperate, it would be fair value, and a steal for expirings.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Havent been thru the entire thread .... a little much 14 pages in.

A guy I dont see mentioned much / at all is the Clippers DeAndre Jordan who will be an unrestricted FA after the season , is a solid defensive player , has potential to get considerably better offensively and at first glance might be a good fit for this team on both ends of the court.

15. amaru

amaru Member

He would be nice but expect to see the Clips resign him.

A Griffin/Jordan frontline looks good

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

But we also have no idea if he can repeat that performance. The guy shot 16% from the free throw line last year and is shooting 36% from there this year. Late in games, Adelman might be hesitant to have him on the floor in case the other team resorts to fouling.

Noah, Marc Gasol and Bynum are all head and shoulders above Biedrins in the center pecking order. Adding Biedrins to this team locks us into ~$30M/year for him, Martin and Scola. IMO, that's a lot of money to be paying three guys who can't even guarantee you home court or even a playoff birth.

What do we really need out of a center? A shotblocking presence? Dalembert might be an option; I'd imagine he'd re-sign at a considerable discount to his $13M he's making this year (expiring). Of course, another team could always get desperate and offer him more. Gortat is making considerably less and would give you a lot more. DeAndre Jordan is about to be FA (though I'm not sure what to expect from him price range wise). Kendrick Perkins is in the same boat as DeAndre.

I just think, for what Biedrins would give us, we could find a cheaper version of him elsewhere; or find someone that can give us more production than him for around the same salary.

17. karthik.08

karthik.08 Member

what are the realistic chances that we can pry curry/biedrins from gsw? i'd give up yao, bud, hill, and brooks to get them + fillers

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Expect the Clippers to do something right ? ..... Its the Clippers.

If he werent unrestricted , I'd agree that he remains there. But considering that .... I can see several teams making offers in the offseason the Rockets should be one of them.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Pretty much. Plus biendrens misses alot of games. I like his rebounding,weakside shot blocking,and energy, but he misses chunks of games.

20. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

D. Jordan is a great idea. He's putting up solid numbers this year.