1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tank or Win?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jenopogi, Oct 18, 2012.

?

Tank or Win

1. Tank

80 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. Win

113 vote(s)
    58.5%
  1. Raven

Raven Member

One team in 35 years. Awesome!

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Let's go back even further

2001- Lakers: Kobe and Shaq
    2000- Lakers: Kobe and Shaq
    1999- Spurs: Duncan
    1998-96 Bulls: Jordan
    95&94 Rockets: Olajuwon
    93-90 Bulls: Jordan

You can even go back further and see the same result.

There's just no way around it; you need superstars to win.

3. Raven

Raven Member

BTW, that 2004 team had this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauncey_Billups

Drafted 3rd overall.

An easier way, though not 100% accurate, is to look at the list of players who have won the Finals' MVP. If I felt it was really necessary, I'd go back 35 years and average out where they were drafted, but the "win now" crowd won't be swayed no matter how many times we get stuck with the 14th pick.

4. trowa

trowa Member

depend man, depend. only if jeremy lamb can grow as a legit scorer

5. Playaz

Playaz Member

pro tankers = losers cause they like losing

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Stop being so damn naive. That's clearly not the reason and you know it. No one wants to lose, but in order to be truly be successful in the nba, it needs to be done sooner than later.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Go young. If we win, we win.

8. Playaz

Playaz Member

I never understood any FAN that likes to see their team LOSING for a CHANCE to get a ROOKIE that could be a total BUST. Even the first pick could be a bust. You know why? What if that pick gets a major injury limiting his play? What if he the pick just totally suck? So what if we get a top pick? He'll probably take MORE years to fully DEVELOP.

Don't you think it's better (and FASTER) to see the current players improving their play instead of waiting for a falling star that WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ANYWAYS?

How can anyone say they're a fan of the team when they rather see their team lose than watch their players develop? All that for a top 5 pick? I can't understand that loser mentality.

Fastest way to see a championship is to see the players develop OR make major trades. Having a top 5 pick that isn't a bust will just DELAY the championship further IF you're LUCKY.

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Every team would want to instill a winning attitude but if you have the chance to possibly get a higher draft pick by losing meaningless games, you almost have to. Even players know that.

Like i said, no one would remember losing no bearing games. Not even the players themselves. In our case, we almost have to acquire high draft picks by any chance we get since no free agent star is signing with us.

10. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Easy. Win mode b4 All-Star game; Tank mode after that.

11. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

This ^. Honestly, i don't mind going 0-82 and draft top players. Tired of competing all season, picking 14th or 15th and be in nba purgatory year after year.

12. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

I agree with you completely. There are several ways to build a team with a super star. Tanking is just one of too many. We have trades and FA.

If all of you listed the championship teams with a super star or two, how many of them were drafted by the team? Kobe? Shaq? Lebron? Even Nash?

13. rocketsfan7

rocketsfan7 Member

Some problems I see doing this:

1. getting top picks != get out of purgatory free card.
    2. how many years are you willing to tank for top draft picks to pan out?
    3. hard to be loyal to players when they may/may not be here for long.
    3. joe public will not shell out hard earned dollars to watch a losing team.
    4. always leery of Management trying to sell/spin a crap product.

14. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

The Rockets is not a bad team. It's unfortunately in a tough division and a tough conference.

There are 30 teams in the NBA and each year only one team can win the championship. I'd rather watch a year of good efforts and exciting games than lousy losses. There's a #1 draft pick every year. John Wall and the Wizards are not close to winning anything anytime soon. Nor are Cleveland and Kyrie Irving. And the #1 pick doesn't become a superstar immediately. The Heats and the Lakers each have a load of talents, but only one of them can will the championship this year, and there's no guarantee that it'll be one of them either.

The Bobcats were bad enough last year and they didn't land the #1 pick.

To many things have to go right/wrong. It's probably easier to just give your best effort :)

Ask me again closer to the end of the season. I'll reconsider ;)

15. Arthurprescott2

The difference between "tank" and "win" is difference between 15 and 32. Mind-boggling how some of you think 45 is even remotely possible. 45 would be a lot to ask of this group next year (assuming we kept all or most of the team; and assuming they jelled). Shows how much some of you guys are complete homers or extremely out-of-touch with the league (or you don't know basketball at all).

16. Arthurprescott2

That's looking at a very short time span. You have to look historically in the league. Bird, Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, and Robinson were all top draft picks. The fact that teams can't keep players on their teams in this era doesn't change the fact that top draft picks are usually the league-shifting players.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

So float around in the waters of mediocrity until we see the promised lands of a championship? We've been doing that for 3 years and it hasn't worked. It's an endless sea of mediocrity. I'm tired of moral victories; do what needs to be done even if it goes against your morals. WITHOUT A SUPERSTAR, YOU WON'T WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE NBA! And since we can't get one to come via FA or trade, we to look for one in the draft and getting a high pick gives you a higher chance a find one.

And as for the rookie being a possible total bust, I trust Morey to make the correct decision. The one's he was targeting in previous drafts have turned out pretty well.

1 person likes this.
  18. Arthurprescott2

This is also a good point. Teams should utilize what they have - in this particular case, a GM who is a great talent evaluator, especially in terms of draft picks. Can't move the team to a beach to draw players.

19. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

You guys always bring up OKC because they made the finals and are considered one of the top teams. But how about those other bottom teams for the past 10 years? Washington, Bobcats, New Orleans, Sacramento, Minnesota, Portland, Golden State, Orlando, Toronto, Cleveland, Milwaukee the so called small cities. It hasn't done them any good at all. I believe they all have top 3 picks once or twice.

20. Arthurprescott2

Again why the focus on the last 10 years? That's too narrow a period to give us useful information - some would argue 30 years is too narrow.