1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer Dreams vs Season Realities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AussieRocket, Jul 15, 2007.

1. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

Don't you guys realize that this is the third summer in a row where we have gone from disappointment on draft day to euphoria in free agent season. Let's take a walk down memory lane to see how things developed:

2005: Drafting Luther Head, massive disappointment. Signing Stro Swift, euphoria. Luther becomes solid rotation player and contributes, Stro is a huge bust, gone next year.
    2006: Trading for Shane Battier, massive disappointment. Signing V-Span, Greece upsets the USA, euphoria. Battier becomes an indespensible glue guy on a 52-win team. V-Span is a huge bust, gone next year.
    2007: Drafting AB, massive disappointmetn. Signing Scola, euphoria. Next:????

2. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

haha, good point

3. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

if you're going to compare stuff like that, then we might as well pull out all the other 30,000 coincidences..

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't expect Scola to be a star. There will be disappointment for many of us when he struggles in the NBA. I hope he can become a solid role player.

5. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

we SIGNED free agent Stro
    we DRAFTED V-Span
    we TRADED for Scolia

and MANY people weren't that upset about getting Battier or Luther (I even predicted the pick) - just a vocal minority and complains about everything

...so, what's your point?

:confused:

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

In 2005 there were three camps, those that wanted SAR, those that wanted Stro, those that wanted neither.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Scola's scouting video on the board now is not too impressive. In fairness, it is three years old. I hope he lives up to his billing. The last thing the Rockets need is another bust.

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

I think we actually traded for Vspan...the mavs drafted him for us and traded him to us right?

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Yes, Rockets traded their pick + cash for the Mavs pick.

10. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

yes, we traded for his rights - but it was actually on draft night, then we signed him a year later...

by this logic, our only draft pick in 2007 was Brooks (cause we bought or traded for the other picks)

11. seanluu

seanluu Member

2005 - JVG
    2006 - JVG
    2007 - Adelman :]

12. allforone

allforone Member

So, in that logic
    Each season , we will be disappointed at least ONCE !!!!!!!
    God xxxx it , what a ratio :eek:

13. sbyang

sbyang Member

We also traded Howard for James, convinced Bonzi not to opt out, and changed the entire coaching staff, so we made alot more moves than the last 2 offseasons. This was the bigggest offseason since the Tmac trade.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well said. :cool:

15. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Exactly this is just stupid to say just because it happend before it will happen again with completly different players. It happend twice that is hardly a trend. We will, if all goes like it should with injuries and what not, be serious contenders with the likes of Dallas and S.A.

16. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

In 2005 we signed FA Stro, true.
    In 2006 we signed V-Span (we drafted him two years ago)
    In 2007 we signed Scola (we traded for his rights)

All of these happened after the draft. The pattern is Draft night: whaaaaaa? Signings afterwards: Yeeeeeeaaaaah! Season: Why did we sign so and so? Or and by the way, good job on draft night...

17. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I disagree. He was going against marion and boozer. C'mon give me a break! He looked pretty good considering the facts. Btw - Scola had 2 blocks on boozer, marion was just 4 for 10. Scola was 5/12 against our stars 3 years ago. Here's a link to the box: Usa vs. Argentina Box

18. scola

scola Member

How can a game be an indicative for the development of a player?

that was just a mediocre game in a great tournament for Scola. The big development in Scola's came came before 2004.

His matches in the Olympics:

vs. New Zealand 25 pts (95% fg) 2 rbs
    vs. Serbia & Montenegro 10 pts (60% fg) 4 rbs
    vs. Spain 28 pts (66% fg) 9 rbs
    vs. China 15 pts (85% fg) 4rbs
    vs. Greece 9 pts (60% fg) 4 rbs
    vs. USA 10 pts (45% fg) 4 rbs
    vs. Italy 25 pts (77% fg) 11 rbs

Last year Scola faced USA again, and he played better.

19 pts (56% fg) 5 rbs in 21 min.

Box score

19. holyman2k

holyman2k Member

We got too hyped up on Scola and will just be disappointed after 3 days. Scola is a good player but not the final solution.

We know he can shoot, but can he defend against nba pf? that means not get into foul trouble, block out and rebound, is he fast enough on weak side help? that means help out yao on pick and roll.

He'll help out straight away on offense, but defense i'm not so conviced.

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yeah all the other teams really need a Bust :p :D