1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suburban Poverty on the rise

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Aug 19, 2014.

1. da1

da1 Member

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/the-avenue/posts/2014/08/15-ferguson-suburban-poverty

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/25597-how-did-the-suburbs-become-the-zip-code-from-hell

http://time.com/3060122/poverty-america-suburbs-brookings/

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Unsurprising

Rocket River

3. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

There's lazy ppl everywhere. I can see a generation making a living in a nice suburb house and their lazy ass kids not wanting to work as hard. So since they stay live there. They just stay there.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Who wrote this, Honeybear or bigtexxxxxxx? :confused:

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

These neighborhoods are getting older and money is moving into cities. It's a natural progression.

However, it is certainly generational. This country was built by immigrants who had the sack to travel thousands of miles to start a new life and their kids.

Their great-grand-kids don't have that same vision.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Not since hipsters came about, no. :eek:

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

good lord, man.

8. yo

yo Contributing Member

Is da1 the anti-microwave guy?

9. Isabel

Isabel Member

No surprise really, with revitalization projects in most cities, some (particularly younger and/or childless) professionals wanting to live in new downtown lofts to avoid the commute, and the worst neighborhoods and housing projects gradually being torn down. Usually the poverty moves outward in a ring, to suburbs and neighborhoods that were once considered a good address. The outer suburbs are still nice, though a few people may qualify for "poverty" due to job loss and debt. Most people who want to own a home with a yard are moving to the outer areas, neighborhoods of cookie-cutter houses that are new and will hopefully not give them a lot of maintenance issues. As older houses fall into disrepair, become rented out, poorer people are able to afford them, the neighbors start cooking meth, etc., of course they're not going to be as nice as they used to be.

10. Classic

Classic Member

Microwavescientist was my favorite poster. Came into an anti-microwave thread b**** slapping folks from a google-alert then 3 posts later was gone forever. :(

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They'll get me out of the suburbs when they pry my cold, dead hands off my community swimming pool key.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's cheaper to live in the Suburbs and they have nothing but McDonald's, Freebird's, Walmart, Burger King, Joes Crab Shack, etc... poor people jobs. Makes sense to me. Take the poors and the families out to the suburbs and let me live in peace.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

The fact that "teh poors" are no longer as able to afford property in urban / inner loop / downtown areas as they once were is a large factor in these statistics... but that doesn't support da-rhetoric as readily... "Living far from me and needing a car to get around makes you poor and unhealthy!"

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7865411&postcount=91
    In response to the Da1 Classic, Microwaves are dangerous, get rid of yours NOW

1 person likes this.
  15. Classic

Classic Member

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

You can't have much vision when you're only being shown the same slideshow over and over again.

These are different times.. the best still do well but avg ppl and their jobs aren't "visionary" now like those same ppl were two generations ago

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's the greatest da1 thread of all time, and one of my favorite Hangout threads.