1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stros all alone in first place !!!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaDakota, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Timing

Timing Member

A great game from Lima tonight. Wade Miller goes tomorrow!

------------------
    The ox is slow but the Earth is patient.

2. Ali Cat

Ali Cat Member

Does anyone else think Truby is great? He had an awesome outing tonight.

------------------

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Here's to hoping the Astro's will hold on to their talent.

Seriously, I love the 'Stros. I just hate hearing how good they are at picking up "young talent" only to have the "young talent" bolt 'cause Drayton won't pay them.

Excellent outing tonight, great job Jose, and hell yeah Truby!

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

4. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

If we can get this kind of production out of our #8 hitter all season then I'll just sit back in my recliner scratching myself and smile as I see the 'Stros post W after W.

It's nice to see Lima do well. We have to have quality starts from him.

Go 'Stros!!

------------------
    "...just because a clever person can complicate the discussion about the truth doesn't necessarily mean he or she is making any progress in finding it."

5. Band Geek Mobster

Our true test will be this friday when the St. Louis series begins.

I'm not ready to believe this team is playoff bound when all they've done is beat the brewers and the pirates. They didn't even win the series against the Pirates.

As far as Lima remember he's 9-0 against the Brewers in his career so it's not that surprising that he shut them out, he owns them.

Sorry for the Reality Police sighting.

Anyway I am very happy Truby, Biggio, and Wagner are producing.

This weekend series is going to be a big sign to what we can expect from this team for the rest of the season.

------------------
    Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think we'll definitley contend. It's between us and St. Louis, imo. The Cards don't scare me as much as last year.

I didn't know Wade Miller had that kind of stuff.

Wags flat-out embarassed the Brewers. I was embarassed for them.

Lynus, I don't think Houston lost talent cuz it was cheap. There were a variety of reasons. The Stros made competitive offers to both Randy and Kile. Hampton was another issue.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

7. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

They were very competitive with Kile but I really don't remember us being that close to Arizona's offer. They offered him an extra year AND a higher yearly salary if I remember correctly.

Even if we had, though, it was pretty clear he wanted to be in Arizona.

Now Kile is just a stingy b*stard who take slightly more per year to play in a state with an income tax. So not only is he a stingy b*stard, he's a r****ded stingy b*stard.

------------------

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I believe you're right. I got the impression Randy would have stayed had we matched that offer. After all, the 'Stros were a LOT closer to contention than Arizona.

On another note: Wagner is an absolute STUD. Damn, I love his arm!

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

9. gr8-1

Kile was just being a punk. I don't think it was about the money with him.

Johnson never took a liking to Houston, imo. He said the right things,and we just started the bidding for him.

The ESPN announcers were practically laughing at the Brewers. Only Jenkins could get a foul tip. BTW, why the heck was Jenkins b!tching to the umps ? Was Wags throwing TOO hard ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

10. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Those strike calls were...uh...questionable. Not that I'm rooting for the other team or anything. IMO it was just obvious that the ump either sucked or just wanted to go home.

------------------
    "...just because a clever person can complicate the discussion about the truth doesn't necessarily mean he or she is making any progress in finding it."

11. gr8-1

They may have landed outside, but they definitely went through the strike zone. One of em may have been questionable, but I don't see it.

------------------

12. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Alright, we don't need to debate this. Or do....nah. One pitch to Jenkins was clearly a ball. My roommates and I all laughed simultaneously when the ump called it a strike.

------------------

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread is going to dominate for a long time if the Astros can do a wire to wire... here's to hoping this thread remains in near the top for months and months!

------------------
    "Any event, once it has occurred, can be made to appear inevitable by a competent historian."
    Lee Simonson

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The first true test will be this weekend against the Cardinals. They'll face Kile, Ankiel and Benes. Although they have gotten off to a good start, it is hard to get too excited when you realize they are 5-0 against the Brewers and 1-2 against the Pirates. The positives have been good pitching (for the most part) and they have scored some runs without much help from Bagwell and no help from Alou, but, again, they have played all of their games against a couple of teams with highly suspect pitching.

------------------

15. Timing

Timing Member

Damn Wade Miller was the friggin man tonight. I didn't know he could throw up in the 95-96 mph range. He sure had great stuff tonight. The Brewers looked lost out there. Let's hope for the SWEEP tomorrow!

------------------

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

To coin Gene Peterson...

How sweet it is....

Astros 4-2 over the Cards.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

17. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I have a feeling that this thread might be spending a lot of time at the top.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

18. Timing

Timing Member

Great game tonight! I love these pitching duels. Kent Bottenfield was fantastic! I kept waiting for him to falter but it never happened. I heard Moises Alou might be back tomorrow too. Great news!

------------------

19. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Long live the Stros all alone in first place !!! thread!!! With Bottenfield's performance tonight I'd hate to see him demoted to the pen. I'd much rather have Dotel as a reliever. This 5-man rotation to go along with our relief is pretty sweet.

1)Elarton
    2)Reynolds
    3)Lima
    4)Miller
    5)Bottenfield

------------------

20. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Why constrain ourselves with a 5-man rotation?

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.