1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Strategies and ideas for combating hair loss

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aussie rocket, Jul 4, 2016.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I have started to seriously thin out and recede at front with developing donut on top of the scalp. Classic male pattern baldness - except for the fact that I am 33 and my father,65 and brother,43 both have no such problem.

Have ensured I am not adopted and now am looking at other ways to deal with this. It can't be understated what kind of mental effect this has on a man. Until you go through it you can't really explain it.

A Google of ways to deal with hair loss will return many findings. It's clearly a big money spinner for a lot of frauds out there. Using us as suckers.

Who has had similar problems- or having - and what did you do about it.

I attribute a lot of what I'm dealing with to stress. Unfortunately not much I can do as my life is just stressful for complex reasons.

It's early days - but I can't afford to do the transplants and I just want my own hair!! Here's what I'm trying at the moment :

Castor and coconut oil application 3-4 times a week
    Vitamin B complex tablets
    Phytofol supplements
    Caffeine shampoo
    Cycling on and off with Saw Palmetto tablets. Not using daily as was having trouble with it making me pee more often than I found convenient (saw palmetto is also used to help with prostate problems. Problems I don't have)

Don't want to commit to the hardcore drugs, ie finasteride just yet. Have tried minoxidil topical applications in past and had mild success with the crown but it does nothing for the receding hairline

So as you can see, I'm trying quite a bit. What am I missing ?

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

gatsby and IBTL like this.
  3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Just own it. Accept who you are and move on. If you can't handle that, lean into it. Shave it all off and act like you are bald by choice.

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I have about 5 pretty gnarly moles on my scalp and pale skinned.

Kinda big ears too, and just not a god head shape for baldness

Baldness is not an option for some people

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

*good head shape

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Just shave it all off dude. Take control of it, don't let it trash your self-confidence. The shaved head look is pretty casual these days. Doooooo it!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u6ALySsPXt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Own the gnarly moles and shave it off.

If not, you can't look any worse than George Costanza.

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rogaine. Everything else you listed is just placebo.

9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Have tried the rogaine (minoxidil) and as stated it only helped minimally on crown and nothing for the front

Also vastly more expensive than the other things combined!

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

why don't u just invest in a wardrobe of some nice hats

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This thread should help

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=10397590

My advice is to remember the more you stress over it, the quicker it will go. There's no need to get worked up over something so insignificant and basically uncontrollable as hair loss, lifes too short for that man.

This is mostly about your self esteem on your own image right? Which im guessing is for them women. Focus on the things you can control to make your self more attractive(taking care of your body) if thats what your worried about, get over the things you can't control.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Invest in an expensive wig? As I understand it the good ones are pretty costly. If going bald isn't an option... might as well look in to it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Newlin

Newlin Member

The combination of minoxidil and finasteride will be the most effective when it comes to drugs. I think they are the only medications that have been proven to be effective in any way. I don't know anything about hair transplant, but I think any surgical solution is going to be expensive.

I've lost much of my hair and I don't care enough to do anything about it. I do understand that hair loss bothers some people.

14. GIGO

GIGO Member

How about mole shaves (after having them checked by a dermatologist first)? The clear scalp, either with or without the hair, can sometimes make life easier.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eLiWUUvnvLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

You really only have two options. My guess is that by now you've researched enough and deep down you know this.

1) religiously use minoxidil and finasteride every day for the rest of your life and consider hair plugs when these are less effective later in life. This has the small chance of having short term, long term, and/or permanent effects on your sex drive.

2) own it. If you're concerned about what other people think, this typically means shaving your head and working out regularly. If there was a cure or home remedy, Lebron and other wealthy balding guys would have paid for it buy now.

16. AXG

AXG Member

Either shave it all off or invest in hair transplants.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

1. Religously use minoxidil (rogaine) in combination with Propecia and 2% Ketancozole shampoo. Be aware of side effects such as your dick failing you at times of need - Expensive

2. Wear your hair really short, like even do a bald fade or something like that - Cheap

3. Completely shave your head - Cheap

4. Wear hair plugs or get a hair transplant - Expensive

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're missing reality. Just accept it. I faced the same issue and it wasn't a great feeling. One thing I have learned is nobody really cares except you. Oh and your family will remind you from time to time. But thats family.

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Having too much testosterone is one of the big contributors to early male pattern baldness.

https://www.sharecare.com/health/me...erone-can-cause-hair-loss-and-baldness-in-men

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Get the Propecia - 3 mos supply at Walgreens is only $190.