1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stoudemire on Rockets: "They really, really wanted me to join their team"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 19, 2011.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's no guarantee any of the tens of millions the rockets handed out this offseason will be well-spent, I can guarantee you that none of those guys will ever be as good as Amar'e.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

There was one guarantee and that was Amare would not sign the extension as part of the deal to Houston.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

So you would have been fine with the VERY good chance of Amar'e playing half a season, leaving for New York and our starting lineup consisting of...

Lowry/Brooks
    Martin/Lee(assuming Ariza is still traded)
    Bud/?
    Hill/PPat
    Hayes/Miller

and probably our 2011 1st rd draft pick and one of our 2012 picks in Phx's possession? Hey that sounds like rebuilding and I'm all for it now but still say WAY to risky a move.

4. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Who asked the question in the video? Clutch?

I'm trying to gage Amare's thought reaction to the question. I mean, itt's good to know we pursued him but it is kind of a moot point now. It looks like he could be trying to be as polite as possible without offending any Houston media about the question. After all, he did reject us.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'd love to have him on the team, but those knees + a big money contract = trouble.

6. SamFisher

LOL - the sad part is that the rockets lineup now isn't that dissimilar to this so-called nightmare lineup, less one aging, expiring glue player and an all offense 30 year old PF. Slap some lotto protection on the 2011 pick and I'd definitely take it, at least we'd have more balls.

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

NEWSFLASH: Nothing (in life) is guaranteed!!

But Amare is posting BEAST-like numbers this season isn't he? The money the Knicks are spending on Amare this season so far is well-spent wouldn't you say? Nice return on investment, agreed?

Let's not speculate on the future with baseless assumptions. Amare hasn't shown any indication of slowing down (or reinjuring his knee) and has only gotten better. Unless new information comes to light to indicate otherwise, judging from how he's progressed so far since his surgery it's safe to assume this will continue.

8. rockets934life

LOL, good point now that I compare the two.

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

One of the guys thats earning his paycheck, not only earning his check on the floor but with his leadership as well. NY loves him and as would Houston if they signed him.

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Well sure. The problem isn't just Year 1. It's also the later years. I'd say Yao and T-Mac looked pretty damn good the first year they signed their deals with us.

11. BetterThanEver

Did everybody miss the fact that Amare refused to sign an extension to stay in Houston for several years?

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Age eventually catches up to all players. If Amare can produce this kind of numbers for years 1-4, then the Knicks got a nice return their investment.

So far, no indications that this can't continue for another 3-4 years.

13. BetterThanEver

However, Amare wasn't willing to sign an extension to get years 1-4 with the Rockets.

14. SamFisher

He refused to sign it then, but then I'm going to invoke the "Ashton Kutcher Butterfly Effect" on you and say maybe that changes if he plays here for a half-season. And honestly, if the price is right and the only consequences of the deal are some combo of Battier or Landry and Brooks & a lotto protected 2011 pick for him & Barbosa, I think it's worth the rental plus roll of hte dice

15. rockets934life

I'm just gun-shy after TMAC and Yao, both had warning signs and they were ignored. Amar'e has them too and investing that much money in a player and having him breakdown is devastating to a franchise.

Reading articles like this would scare me if I were a Knick fan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/s...orts+(NYT+>+Sports)&src=twt&twt=nytimessports

16. BetterThanEver

Amare actually would have had a 5th year, if he signed the extension, also. He gave up $13 mil and 1 extra guaranteed year to go to the Knicks.

17. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Honestly, I'm glad we didn't get him. Sure, he's having a career year this year but he really sucks at positioning himself on D and grabbing boards.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, it was the right decision.

Thats a stupid desperation gamble that sets your team back years when the likely outcome occurs.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I don't really think it matters whether what the % raises are. The bottom line is the Suns were only willing to give him a 3 year guaranteed contract. Amare wanted a full 5 years.

You don't think he would have stayed?

20. BetterThanEver

What does what the Suns offer for him to stay as a Sun have to do with Amare signing an extension to go to the Rockets? Did the Rockets only want him to sign a 3 year extension?