1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stop Beating Themselves] Consistency: Turnovers, Rebounding and Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Offense Lags from time to time
    but Defense and Rebounding needs to be consistent

Getting killed on the Defensive boards is inexcusible
    It was the only reason Utah was even in this game.

They should spend the next four days on BOXING OUT
    and GRABBING A REBOUND AND NOT TAPPING THE BALL

Defense: EFFORT EFFORT EFFORT

Turnovers: Too many lazy passes. Lobs to no where. 'pocket passes' being tipped.

The other teams are not beating the Rockets. . . The Rockets are beating themselves. Maybe they believed their own hype from last year

Rocket River

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The problem is not in the lack of action.

It's in the mind, in the soul. These guys have an internal problem. They know they can grab more rebounds, play harder defense, take care of the ball. They don't want to do what they were doing a year ago.

That's an ego problem. I don't think it's only about one or two guys. I think some of these guys have irreparable chemistry issues and the ones with the least asset value are going to be traded.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What I watched last nite
    was not a TALENT ISSUE
    was not even a COACHING ISSUE (to an extent)

It was a motivation issue

Rocket River

4. Nook

Nook Member

Basically.

This same exact team with better execution and discipline would have the 2nd or 3rd best record in the NBA.

It isn't a lack of talent, it is a number of small things killing the Rockets.

Box out, communicate on defense, get out in transition, make definitive cuts to the basket.......

You would think they have never played together.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I think the effort last night was actually better than a majority of the season... remember they had lost 3-4 in a row.

A lot of it IS coaching, someone like Thibs never would have let it get this far.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Solve it. If you can then you wear the 'genius' crown.

WTF is with this group this year? Only the locker room knows and all we can do is guess.

Joyless play, joyless watch.

Give me the 6th seed (or better) [and a legit chance for a run] or gimme back the pick, and let's start over in November.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I agree with you to a certain extent but isn't a coach responsible for motivating his troops? And for JBB being their defensive coach while under McHale he's got to be embarrassed for how these guys play on that end of the court at times.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Defensive rebounding has been a problem for 2-years running. It's a personnel and scheme issue.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

And that's starts with them, the players!

You can decide how much effort you're gonna to put in.
    You can decide if you're gonna run back the other way on defense.
    Are you willing to do so or not?

In the words of J.B. Bickerstaff, the Rockets have chosen not to.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Exactly! That's why I'd take the 2008, 2011 or even the 2013 Rockets over this squad. Far less talented but far more hard working. I do not see hustle in any of these players on a consistent basis. The fact that a guy like Montrezl stands out should tell you everything you need to know about this team.

11. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

It's absolutely an internal issue. Each of these players have decided internally that they were happy with last years results and have decided to not bring the same intensity and drive that they brought last year. I've watched this team through good and bad and never been as disgusted as I am this year with the Rockets.

12. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Every player has his own intrinsic motivation to be on the court. If that motivation is to win, then a good coach can shape it into something positive.

I have no idea what Harden's intrinsic motivation is. I just hope it isn't the money - because that is uncoachable.

13. Nook

Nook Member

If that is the case, then McHale was right all a long.

Coaching does play a part to an extent. A strong enough coach can motivate or bench and eventually trade those players that do not respond.

Thibs... Jeff VanGundy.... Popovich are a few off the top of my head that motivated successfully and when that didn't work got rid of the guys that would not buy in.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, the coach is responsible for motivating his troops. But these players are supposed to be professionals. They are paid to do a job. They aren't kids needing the coach to constantly say, "Great effort, great job. Clap. Clap."

I think the motivation issue is part coaching part players. Real motivation has to come from within.

15. dragician

dragician Member

for Harden, defense is just a walk in the park... literally.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Right, except this same group of guys has been motivated in the past.... hell only a months ago they were coming back from 20 point deficits against the Clippers and fighting the Warriors to a near standstill without 2 starters in Golden State.

17. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I disagree. You think Harden would even try those sorry ass pocket passes if we had Thibs or JVG as our coach?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

This. It starts with the players.

So they couldn't play for a lax "player's coach" but now they need a drill sergeant to "push them" so they can "play their best ball".

Fine, then get a drill sergeant in here but no "I'm tired! I play too many minutes! You're working me/us too hard!"

They don't want no drill sergeant.

Harden's already complaining about minutes. 38-40-42 would be the norm under Tom Thibodeau.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bickerstaff says a couple of Harden TO's were due to fatigue (he played 42 mins tonight) <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a></p>&mdash; Dr. Joshua Reese (@MrJoshua) <a href="https://twitter.com/MrJoshua/status/684236591791869953">January 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#18 J.R., Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  19. Zergling

Zergling Member

You guys are looking at terrible rebounding mechanics and disguising it as poor effort, being lazy, not caring, etc.

Being able to rebound actually takes talent and is a skill. Our players are terrible rebounders because no one is coaching them on how to do it properly. This is on coaching.

20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I feel kJ and montrezl can give us the fire papanikalou and black gave us last year. Truly underrated what youngsters can do for us especially seeing as we get lit up by one play most nights