1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: CP3 is willing to leave money on the table but will first let Morey work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Eddie Cecco, Jun 20, 2018.

1. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Absolutely no way this happens without a trade in place.

sammy likes this.
  2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

everyone over here trying to play armchair GM/capologist when none of it matters. guaranteed that if LBJ says he wants to come to Houston Morey will find a way to make it happen. period. how is this even a question is beyond me.

whether or not LBJ wants to come here is a separate issue entirely... but if he does, stop trying to play Rain Man with your cap scenarios. they mean nothing.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

welcome to #offseason life

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, I'm just re-stating that. As many people (me included) think Ryan for no salary back is a dream scenario, even with tossing in picks.

Just ask yourself a question: Assuming CLE refuses to take Ryan, how many 3rd teams can take $20m in salary without sending some back. And out of the remainder, how many of them would, rather then asking us to take some unwanted salary back...(we have room to match Lebron with EGo+Ryan and take $5-8m back). Many trade scenarios here (include the one by @aelliott) involve us having to take some salary back.

5. heypartner

Read again....an opt-in without a trade still allows Lebron to go anywhere he wants. He can still go to LA, Bos, Philly and Hou. It's a win-win-win for Lebron, CLE and Morey to get more time to get Lebron and Cle the best offers. Lebron just has to have assurance from Gilbert and trust him, that he will get traded, if he wants.

Keeping Houston in play benefits both Lebron and CLE.

Yes, Lebron would need to trust CLE to trade him. But it might be his *only* way to get to Houston, because Morey might need more time to trade Ryno. and if Morey still fails to move Ryno, CLE can still do a trade with LA to avoid getting nothing back.

If on June 29th, Paul calls Lebron to give him the bad news that Morey needs more time, are Paul and Lebron just going to say, "Oh well, at least we tried."?

And is CLE also going to say, "damn Ryno's contract, now LA will get Lebron for nothing. But we just can't take on both EGo and Ryan's contract."

#125 heypartner, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    RyanB, hakeem94 and bulkatron like this.
  6. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Did a quick google search for Eddie Cecco.

An interview with a guy interviewing Clint Capela came up.
    I wonder if the guy doing the interview is Eddie Cecco.

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

That's such a ridiculous statement. Of course we can question all that. For christ sake Melo wanted to come here and we couldn't make it happen.
    The salaries is an issue whether you like it or not.

8. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

It’d be quite boring without that. Let people learn things or even throw out implausible scenarios.

justtxyank likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I just don't see this scenario working. If he "opts-in" he has to count on Gilbert allowing him to go to whatever team he wants to go to. What if Gilbert says "We just can't make a deal work with Houston Lebron, sorry."

I don't know. The power to opt-out and leave is really the only leverage he has. Once he's opted in it gives Gilbert a little bit of leverage.

"Sorry Lebron, I'm willing to send you to Houston but they can't do anything with Ryan Anderson and I won't take him."
    "I'd send you to the Lakers but they are trying to make me take on Luol Deng and I won't do that."

I just don't see it. If he opts-in I think he already has the team picked out and it's not the Lakers.

D-rock likes this.
  10. heypartner

Yeah, but If he opts-out, Gilbert is facing getting nothing back. Gilbert has incentive to keep Houston in play as a trading partner. He can pitch us against LA, Bos and Philly, etc. More time cannot hurt Gilbert. It can only help him.

What you're saying is if Morey and Lebron both go to Gilbert on June 29th and ask for more time or Lebron will opt-out and bolt to LA for nothing. that Gilbert will say "fine, do it." Or he will say, "OK, more time will help me get something back. If Lebron opts-in, I promise to at least trade Lebron to LA into capspace by Aug 31st." And then he completely reneges and keeps Lebron.

11. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thanks for the inside info Eddie!!!!!!!!!!!!

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  13. aroundtheblock2

This is where a 3rd team gets involved, Bulls, Suns, Kings, etc.

Yes. I agree. Philly is just an awkward fit and I don't see that team ready to beat GSW, not even close. I think Ben Simmons has a long way to go offensively.

14. farhen

farhen Member

15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Which is why I believe we only have to wait until the 29th. If he opts in, it's to be traded. If he's staying in Cleveland, why not become FA and let them try to lure players and then re-up with the same contract he's been doing? If he's not announced as traded to the Rockets on the 29th, he ain't coming.

sammy likes this.
  16. macan

macan Member

op = Morey's burner account?

brosef likes this.
  17. basketballholic

Ummmmmm

I already mentioned this.

But it works better this way.

Trade is agreed upon to be executed before the moratorium and is leaked to the media. Then Morey entices a better deal by throwing Cleveland something extra if they wait until after the moratorium.....(cash, second round pick, etc)

By the way, I already brought up this possibility several days ago.

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

No one said jack when I brought thiz up yesterday either!

19. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Don't forget Burt Steele

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

"Source" as in singular and not multiple sauces? I call BS!