1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sounds like Amare Stoudemire won't return this season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by qian, Mar 13, 2006.

1. qian

qian Contributing Member

Too bad for Sun's playoff run and future championship dream

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0313amare0313.html

Stoudemire sounds down on returning this season
    Paul Coro
    The Arizona Republic
    Mar. 13, 2006 12:00 AM
    PORTLAND, Ore. - When Amar?Stoudemire comes back, when Amar?Stoudemire comes back, when Amar?Stoudemire comes back . . .

It's been the favorite phrase in NBA hypotheses involving the Suns this season, but maybe the more appropriate thing to say, based on the outlook Stoudemire gave Sunday, is if Amar?Stoudemire comes back.

"It's still 50-50," Stoudemire said, sounding more discouraged than at any point of his rehabilitation process from an October microfracture procedure on his left knee.

"If I'm not ready, then I'm not ready. Right now, I'm not ready."

His shaken confidence comes from a problem in his right knee, where a fluid buildup behind the kneecap has stunted his comeback for the past two weeks.

He has considered not coming back at all this season more than ever in the past week, he said, "because every time I play ball one day, the next day I feel a lot of pain, a lot of discomfort" in the right knee.

"I figured I'd be ready by now," Stoudemire said. "My right knee is hurting more than my left. I think it's just from overcompensating - a little fluid buildup that's in there. I'm just trying to get that out and get back. Once I get the rest and the treatment, it goes away. Then I have three strong days and it comes back. I haven't played a five-on-five game yet so I haven't put it to the test."

After Phoenix's 111-101 loss to Portland, Suns head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson said Stoudemire's right knee had improved after two days of rest.

Stoudemire said he has had a "rough" time since playing full- and half-court games of three-on-three on Friday. On a scale from 1 to 10, he said he reaches a peak of eight only to go back down to a five.

"I had four real good days back to back to back to back, but after that, my right knee became real stiff and at times it's kind of rough to get around," he said.

Stoudemire said he underwent a magnetic resonance imaging test that showed only buildup and the normal wear and tear of an NBA player.

He was cleared to play by the Suns medical staff, leaving the onus on Stoudemire to decide when he feels he is able to play games.

"I'm medically cleared as far as the healing process and as far as everything healing up correctly, but as far as pain level and discomfort level in my mind, I'm not really cleared yet," said Stoudemire, who said his right knee feels tight and stiff and hurts when his leg is extended.

"If it was up to my left knee right now, I probably would've played last week."

Stoudemire said he still feels he has two weeks to a month to come back. He said he will not make a sudden day-of-game decision to return but will wait until he has four to six consecutive days of "feeling great."

For Stoudemire, that means more than just dunking and getting his vertical leap back to where it was. It means being able to stop on a dime, hit his jump shot and run without conditioning problems.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Without a doubt he needs to forget about playing this season.

That is a precious knee he's screwing around with.

3. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Tmac needs to do the same

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I already said from day 1 that he won't be back this season, the Suns are a smart franchise and won't screw up their future by rushing their franchise player back and jeopordizing his future and theirs.

Smart decision, he definitely won't be back this season, no way no how...

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

never will be the same player again either.

6. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

He definitely should not come back because too much is at stake. Sorry to hear about the setbacks but glad to hear he will probably stay on the shelf.

7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

McDyess part 2?! :eek:

8. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

I don't think there has been one player who has returned after microfracture surgery the same player they once were.

9. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Karma's a b****.

He shouldn't have rolled around laughing hysterically when yao got faked out, and he shouldn't have named that moment as the best of his rookie year.

Maybe this so-called 'black jesus' that his neck tattoo refers to can heal his knee.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I hope he comes back healthy so the new and improved Yao can make him his b*tch.

11. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Injuries happen guys, it's part of the game...fans of every team have to deal with that fact of life in the NBA

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Actually, even the old Yao has regularly made him his b****.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

so do you have something against jesus being depicted as dark skinned?

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

he better not?????????? :mad: :mad:

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

that was just juvenile humour on amare's part.

16. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I'm sorry, did I just laugh out loud?

Hey Amare, what "moment" was the "best" this year? :eek:

17. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

unless....

18. KeepKenny

no, my problem with him is his audacity to have a tattoo like that. Imagine dirk with a 'white jesus' tattoo on his neck. With his ego as large as it is, I wonder whether the tattoo is just a voicing of his beliefs on the matter or an affirmation that he himself is jesus.

With his self-given nicknames (Standing Tall And Talented, i guess we'll see how talented he really is without some of that athleticism), cockiness, and his propensity for style over substance, sometimes I wonder. If his commercials are any indication, he'll be watching his highlight reels all summer long.

19. KeepKenny

As it is on my part when I laugh at his knee injury. So it's all good.

20. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member