1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Screaming Fist

Not to defend the actions of the Astros in the past, but honestly MLB should just make it legal to use technology to steal signs given the difficulty in enforcing the rules. If they think it's such an affront to the game then there has to be some way they can allow teams to use devices to transmit signs between the pitcher/catcher that can't be feasibly intercepted/decoded by the other side.

Nook, RustyHarden and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

In terms of technology, give us the K zone on the jumbotron :D

Gray_Jay and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  3. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

It does feel like a witch hunt. Astros got good, now let's expose them! One story after another, just keep on digging, what else can we find? A 2017 story just coming out now?
    On the other hand, it's not a good look.

And Mike can return the WS ring. Wouldn't want you to have a "tainted" ring.

“That’s not playing the game the right way,” Fiers told The Athletic. “They were advanced and willing to go above and beyond to win.”

**** that guy.
    [​IMG]

“I mean you can try to pick out a lot of things through a lot of games,” Fiers told reporters Saturday, saying no one from the league had contacted him. “I don’t know what they are talking about. It could be a different lighting or camera angle or a lot of things. I don’t know.”

[​IMG]

That’s not playing the game the right way, Mike.

It's been a terrible (PR) month for them.
    Taubman incident
    Then they lose the WS.
    Ryan Family fallout
    Now this?

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The Springer story and now this.

The media all mad because 2017 the Stros ruined their post season.

That year all they talked about was the Sox vs Yankees, hyping it up. Astros ruined that, got rid of the Red Sox.

Then they talked about the Yankees vs Dodgers! Oh, how much fun that would be...Stros ruined that...too

Oh! The Dodgers would be champions! How long has it been! How much fun it....Stros ruined that too.

Ever since then we've been the heels of the MLB and we keep kicking the Jankees out of the playoffs and that they can't abide by, they won't take that laying down.

6. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Its from the Atlantic. Makes me wonder if Evan Drelich is behind this. He was quick to jump on the Astros about their culture last month. Maybe he's trying to get someone fired with the Astros

7. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

If Mike Fiers is gonna be snitching, I dont think I'd want him on my team.

8. SemisolidSnake

A few years ago, when various people were calling for it, I figured it was silly to have to add technology to deal with pitching signs. After a couple seasons of watching mound visit after mound visit from crossed-up signs and having to hear so much about "stealing signs," I'm all for it now. Just give me whatever tech we need to get people to STFU.

Not sure how it would work. I mean, dedicated encrypted wireless channels is easy peasy. Ear pieces that stay in place (or even pieces built into a pitcher's cap) shouldn't be that difficult. Talk from the manager to pitcher and catcher...easy. Talk back...not so much. Not sure what you do with the catcher in particular. He can't actually talk into a mic in his helmet. I mean, he'd probably not be heard if he did, but I doubt that's going to make anyone any less paranoid. You'd still need some sort of silent code that involved hidden visuals that could be electronically transmitted.

It's funny how a system of encryption (visual signs) that's worked forever is now being ruined by technology, and the technological solutions to the problem are much more bizarre and complicated. But they are doable, and I'll take anything at this point to shut everyone up about stealing signs.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Michael Wilbon just now says he can’t get worked up about it. He seems to have no problem whatsoever with it. He says technology is used in everything we do everyday. He said change the signs.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

It is Evan Drellich.
    With Taubman it was Footer.

Like what's next, you're gonna tell me Jose de Jesus Ortiz de Jesus de Jose de Ortiz de Jesus is gonna dig up a story? :rolleyes:
    Luhnow must've stiffed these hacks during the 100-loss years and now they're trying to dig up dirt.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

[Grant] From April 2019: Rangers are quickly earning a reputation as adept sign stealers and Chris Woodward doesn't mind
    [​IMG]
    dallasnews.com/sports...

texans1095 likes this.
  12. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Why not allow catcher and pitcher to have an electronic device in glove to decide pitches. Would solve this issue

KePoW and SemisolidSnake like this.
  13. SemisolidSnake

Fiers' ring: #TakeItBack

14. msn

msn Member

Didn't read the thread; just popping in to say thread title is complete unadulterated bullshit.

Nick_713, marks0223 and whiskeyred like this.
  15. SemisolidSnake

Alternatively, just put one of these bad boys each in the dugout, by the plate, and on the mound. It's newer than the practice of sign stealing.

[​IMG]

Protip: First, fix that part where it can't output the same letter that's input.

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Me tonight when I fall asleep remembering the pristine 2017 World Series Championship won in Dodger Stadium:

[​IMG]

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No reason for Rosenthal to make headline about Astros when it's a league wide issue. He caused this shitstorm, fack him.

lw17 likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Meh

Won a title, don't care. May win another.

Nook, BigM, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Astros legend Carlos Beltran denies Astros stole signs electronically in 2017

"I'm not aware of that camera," Beltran told The Post in a text message exchange. "We were studying the opposite team every day."

"We took a lot of pride studying pitchers [on] the computer. That is the only technology that I use and understand," he said. "It was fun seeing guys get to the ballpark to look for little details.

"The game of baseball for years, guys have given location and if the catchers get lazy and the pitcher doesn't cover the signs from second base [then] of course players are going to take advantage. I don't call that cheating. I call that using small details to take advantage. I think baseball is doing a great job adding new technology to make sure the game is even for both teams. It's easy to blame someone when they win."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.