1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleep paralysis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCorn, Jun 6, 2013.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

This has been a problem I've had occasionally during my life, but recently it's been happening weekly. While in he past it was just from something that migjt happen for a few seconds after dozing off in class, now its after a full sleep for minutes. When my schedule frees up I'm going to try and see a neurologist.

Has anyone else had frequent problems with sleep paralysis?

I imagine its stress related. Work has been getting to me lately, so I'm going to try to cope with that, but anyone else who has had similar problems it'd be cool to hear what helped you.

Only other issue I could see is I took melatonin supplements as a child, and perhaps that is messing with my sleep stages now.

1 person likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Realizing you have sleep paralysis is a good thing -- it's one of the first steps to amazing lucid dreaming.

Just start controlling the situation -- repeat in your mind that there is no reason to be afraid and embrace the state -- when you relax you will soon slip back into a deep sleep, but your conscious mind will be awake enabling you to have some control over your dreams.

3. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I can't offer any help, I get it randomly. I don't think anything causes me to get sleep paralysis; it just happens. Luckily in my case it is not a frequent occurrence so I don't really have a need to remedy the problem.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

It's weird at times. Ill be awake and remember my surroundings just as they were when I went to sleep, but I won't be able to move and i will see objects around my room that aren't really there.

Then boom I'm awake.

5. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Not everyone can go back to sleep considering they are wide awake. I prefer the MILD approach if I am trying to induce lucid dreaming.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'll tell you like my parents told me:

"Thats the witch riding you. Boy, you ain't living your life right."

Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I made a thread on this a while ago:

This first happened to me when I was just starting high school and scared the crap out of me. I "woke" up around 4 AM on a school night and couldn't move and it felt like someone was sitting on my head and I heard a little girl saying "here I come" (it sounds so cliche but it is literally what happened).

Ever since then I get it pretty often, especially if it's like a kind of sleep that doesn't follow the normal sleep pattern (after staying up very late drinking or a nap). When I was in college I would always take a nap between my early morning class and lunch and it would happen almost every time. I would think I heard my roommate come in while I was in that state, and I'd wake up for real and he never came. Weird stuff like that.

Now, it still happens to me but doesn't really scare me anymore after reading up on it. It's more of an annoyance when it does and I go "Aw not this sht again!" It scares my girlfriend more than anything because she says it sounds like I'm gasping for air.

1 person likes this.
  8. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Have you ever tried cannabis supplements?

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I've noticed that it can happen to me when I have my ears covered. I.E. I'm laying on my side and I have a pillow/blanket on top of my other ear. Try sleeping facing the ceiling.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Maybe my paralysis would turn into sleep eating?

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This wouldn't effect your sleep as an adult.

12. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Maybe your paralysis will go away. Weed does odd things to your sleep patterns..some good, some maybe not so good. A few drops of tincture and your problem might be solved.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

14. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Its the most screwed up feeling. It feels like your awake, but you can tell your still asleep. I try and wake myself up, then I'll think I'm awake, but then it starts all over again. The first time it happened to me it scared the sh!+ out of me. It tends to happen to me when I fall asleep on my back. So now, I avoid sleeping on my back as much as possible.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Had it happen to me once. Fell asleep on the floor after watching movies. Woke up later that night and all I could move were my eyes. It was pretty freaky but I thought I must have been dreaming. Posted on here about it the next day and realized this is probably what happened.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Hey Xsatyr.

Very lovely indeed. More then you'd imagine.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It seems like Clutchfans has an abnormal number of people with sleep paralysis issues. Every few months I see a thread popup. Maybe the dark theme induces it or something. I've never heard about it happening to anyone in real life before, only here.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The first time and last time it happened to me, this scary howling ghost witch came at me but the b**** didn't know I had a boner that would not go away. now when I have sleep paralysis now all I hear is the food is ready but there's no food. **** pisses me off.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Do you see Shadow People or the Hat Man?

20. MarioElie17

MarioElie17 Member

I get it from time to time whenever I do certain things. Try not to sleep on your back. That is what triggers it for me.