1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simple Explanation: Scola In Causes Pat/Hill Regression

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Liberon, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Rewind to the latest couple of games and compare it with the games Scola was out. Start with the Celtics games. You guys notice how when it's Pat starting and Hill coming off the bench or both out there at the same time how harder it was for the opposition to score in the paint? Chuck's instincts are also more keen and we have a completely different inside game because Hill and Pat can jump + block shots + defend better than Scola and don't mention the put backs Pat and sometimes Hill had against the Celtics. You insert Scola and these dynamics crumble. I really do think Scola might have to be traded for this team to evolve further. Get er' done Morey... Start this off season.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree. They would have won by at least 50 points vs. Jersey had Scola not been in.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Let me take it a step farther and say that Hayes, Patterson & Hill are all affected when Scola is in a game. They all freaking somehow defer to this guy and never get going. Scola unintentionally becomes the veteran post player on that team that the younger guys can't play well due to his presence whether it be on the bench or on the court. If Scola were to sit out a little longer and let the Pat / Hill / Hayes rotation continue, I think they way they played would have the Rox avoid a loss to Miami and Sixers. Defensive presence in the post enables put backs and second chance opportunities. You can watch how Scola swaps his rebounds and buckets back to the other team with lack of defensive pressure night in and night out or let the young guys develop and go on a roll prior to Scola's return.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Does it matter who we get in return? Or will anyone do?

5. thesaint

thesaint Member

U serious? Scola is the centerpiece of rockets offense. His inside game is much better than Pattersons. Pat does not demand double team inside the paint. Scolas jumpshots is as good as Pattersons. Patterson will just get better in the future but he is still raw in many areas. Scola is very consistent on offense and also does decent job on the boards, 8.1 rbs. Give Scola some credit, he plays hard every night and also not injury prone. He loves the game not fame. Players like these are hard to find in the NBA.

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

A package of Scola / Hill / Miller with Clippers signing and trading D'Andre Jordan to us.. That would work.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We need to get a defensive-minded 7 footer to pair with Scola because he is just not getting it done on D. He has exhibited pathetic defense lately.

8. thesaint

thesaint Member

Affect Hayes? What games are you watchig? Hayes is playing the best season of his career. His first triple double and his stats has improved on almost every category. Pats is a rookie and still raw in many areas. Hill is just very inconsistent and to be honest he seems like a bust to me.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Go do the math and look how much our inside defense crumbles with Scola in a game. That alone, if you look at how these teams seem to be able to drive or get post buckets, makes it clear on how we manage to lose those games. Scola's game doesn't work for our deep post or championship aspirations but he's still good enough for a team with many quality bigs to spare to obtain and give us 1 such as D'Andre Jordan in return.

10. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Wow, Hill and Patterson can't play as well when Scola is sitting on the bench??? LMAO. Go start more threads about how Erick Dampier would have saved the Rockets' season.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I love Scola and would hate for him to go (much like Shane and Carl, he's one of my faves and I'd love to keep him forever) but with Adelman's offense, we don't need our post to command double teams.

That's one-on-one basketball.

This offense is predicated on moving the ball, players and the defense and finding the opening/mismatch. When the team goes back to that one-on-one crap is when they get into trouble. The beauty that is our offense when we pass and cut is getting the defense out of their rotation or causing a mismatch allowing for an easier one-on-one situation.

If we concentrate on forcing a double team that puts more pressure on our outside shooters. With the movement we still get the open shots that might occur from a double team, but its less likely that they will have someone close enough to fly at them and if they do its more likely that they can fake and drive for an easier basket.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

Hill can't regress, because regression would imply he had some skill at a previous itme.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Go luck at what Hayes has done on the box scores with Scola back in the lineup compared to when Scola was out. You're a serious Hayes jock rider if you don't see Haye's not being at his best these last 3 games. Anybody on this board sees that. And btw, Hill was doing much better when Scola was out.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think Scola for a D'Andre Jordan sign & trade is feasible. Miller's contract is a tough 1 to move... I think impossible without use losing a Martin or something to make it worthwhile which sux.

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

so true...But its not his fault he was drafted high..

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

so we lose a proven hard-nosed,consistent, player in Scola for a D.Howard knockoff ....great trade mane!!!...really... Donald Sterling would be proud

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Having Scola opens up the offense though. I think it's almost imperative you have at least one front court guy who can knock down a shot in Adelman's offense. If we replace Scola with some no-offense-guy like DeAndre Jordan in our starting lineup, then we may as well change our whole offensive scheme.

Besides, it also helps to have the option of getting 1-on-1 baskets when we're struggling. Just another way the Rockets can score on you.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I'm talking about the play he presented with Scola out. But primarily it's Patterson's game that Scola's presence has effed up and I think the Hayes in the last 3 games was affected. This wouldn't be a problem if Scola put somekind of defensive improvement... This group now assembled won't work out and the worst of our bigs is Miller no doubt..

19. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

The lineup of Scola/Hayes/Lowry/Martin is like +10 per 48 mins on the season, with a respectable 106 defensive rating. Our problem this season has been when were forced to go to our bench and watch Hill give the lead away.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I'd have to disagree. The offense actually runs better with Scola. For example, the Rocket offense averaged about 107 points per 100 possession during Scola's absence, about 4 points per 100 possession below season average.

The team actually generates good ball movement out of Scola's post-ups and other skills: He's a willing passer when facing double teams, doesn't eat shot clock too much, and hits midrange Js. When he was sitting out, I felt like the Rockets offense was not as fluid because they didn't have Scola's post-up skills to go to when the opponents shut off other avenues.