1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silas will have second interview Friday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I obviously can't answer this question, but from a 2014 article :

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/20...ornets-nba-assistant-coach-how-practices-work

After almost two decades on the sidelines, the 44-year-old Stephen has outgrown his father’s shadow. His fellow coaches find him to be thorough and meticulous. Players respond enthusiastically to his even-keeled, yet demanding, approach.

“He’s always been around the game,” says Hornets forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who has worked with Silas since his rookie season. “He knows it inside and out. He coached my cousin in Cleveland, Dajuan Wagner. It’s like damn, feel me? He’s old, but he don’t look old.”

In a league that is trending toward more and more toward specialization, Silas’ coaching profile is broader and more diverse. He’s done offense with Nelson and defense with Clifford, two of the game’s great tacticians. He’s worked individually with guards, big men, and wings. He’s coached summer league.

“There isn’t much in the NBA that I haven’t done,” Silas says.

There also isn’t anyone he doesn’t know. As we chat following a practice session at Emerson College, Silas nods toward an Emerson coach. “That’s my guy,” he says. “We met at Dave Cowens’ camp.”

2. HP3

HP3 Member

If we get Silas...i might have hope for one more season and that's it. If its Lucas....LOL, well itll be nice to see Harden get recognition on another team.

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't he the choice before D'Antoni originally? JVG? Didn't Morey want his ass gone before... or is JVG like some of Morey's players that he lets go. He lets them go, they get decent and then we try to trade or resign them for a sh*t ton more.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. You may be right. I honestly don't remember anymore. I'm looking forward... forward to a day when a man with a lot of money and doesn't meddle takes control of this team. Why couldn't Larry Ellison love Houston? :(

D-rock likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Lucas is only hired to appease Harden and Westbrook. They want him. It’s an awful idea and Harden needs to take a bit of a backseat in decision making. I think he’s going to be hired. Tilman needs the revenue from Russ and Harden. So he’s going to let them dictate everything to make them happy. They won’t be happy for long and we’ll all be punished for this as fans.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

If that was completely true, why bother even interviewing Silias? Russ and Harden may have input but I doubt that they wanted to override Morey on this, other wise why bother. Why would Daryl be upset over JVG(though Bra Bra isnt exaclty a good source)? Do we really think Tillman is just following what Russ and Harden say? Is Daryl just overriding them now and that's why he quit? I think the majority of this is Tillman overriding Morey's decision.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lucas is a huge unknown. I'm not going to discredit him because he's like a teenage citizen that has no credit so we have to wait and see what that teenage citizen is over time. It's a risk that's either going to go really bad or really good. Hopefully he's not JB Bickerstaff bad.

joshuaao, Rudyc281 and HP3 like this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

BraBra first said that the players wanted Lucas. Mark Stein also reported this and Tim MacMahon. I don’t know who is hired but it’s clear who the players prefer. Maybe they are okay with Silas too? I have no idea.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Unknown? He’s been in the NBA for almost half a century. He’s a role model and a mentor who hasn’t Been a head coach since LeBron has been in the NBA (he was literally the coach who helped the Cavs tank) and is going to get the keys to a championship aspiring team. That’s a terrible idea.

Jayzers_100 and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

But enough to make Morey quit? Like would Morey really try to go for JVG knowing his player's woulndt be okay with it? Morey has always talked about having a great relationship with his star. So I cant imagine Harden would just completely overriding Daryl like that. Like maybe he has input...but enough to make Daryl quit like this? Nah...I cant see it, this is definitely on Tillman...or at least the majority.

RudyTBag likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hiring John Lucas would be absolutely bizarre.

12. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

At this point in Rockets', and world history for that matter, it might just be worth it if Fertitta literally hired his son as coach. At least it would be honest.

#72 Der Rabbi, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    banzai and RudyTBag like this.
  13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The Cavs were trash and all that had to happen to get Lebron to Cleveland... that's more NBA agenda then anything. When he took over the Spurs as head coach with a talented team he went 39-22. All is not just horrible with this guy. The thing that really makes this look bad is that Harden/Westbrook (Two of the most undisciplined and turnover prone star players) want him as the head coach and he's the cheapest candidate with the weakest hype because there is none due to nobody seeing him as a head coaching candidate but the Rockets.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He had one good season 27 years ago! My dog could coach this team to the playoffs. I’m not concerned about anyone getting this team a top 8 seed. McHale made the WCF. John Lucas is old and was never that good of a head coach. He’s a great guy. I hope he succeeds. It’s a bad hire and there is no other way around it.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Honestly I want the Rockets to hire Silas and get this bs over with.

D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We agree completely!

Cstyle42 likes this.
  18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This man is my first choice. I like JVG, but I don't think he'll be that guy that dares to draw up that crazy winning play that every championship needs. Younger people and people with coaching in their veins will do this. JVG has it in his veins like Silas, but Silas has youth.

D-rock, treyk3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Because he loves NY more? I'll take Michael Dell though. He isn't as rich but at least richer than the douchebag in charge right now. Probably won't try to throw his kids in charge of something they have no idea what to do with.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Silas has the potential to be a 20+ year coach in this league.

John Lucas is the coolest damn guy in the whole world, but gawdamn he doesn't seem like a great fit for a last ditch effort head coach.

D-rock, Cstyle42 and HP3 like this.