1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Article on Hakeem Olajuwon titled "Where Are They Now?"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phil, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Phil

Phil Contributing Member

I thought it was pretty cool to see another side of our hometown legend.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/06/25/watn.olajuwon/

Hakeem Olajuwon
    Infused with a passion for architecture and guided by his Islamic faith, the Hall of Fame center has scored big as Houston's most distinctive real estate magnate

By Alexander Wolff

This Where Are They Now feature and others like it can be found in the July 2nd issue of Sports Illustrated.

In 1994, when 7-foot Hakeem Olajuwon was leading the Houston Rockets to the first of two straight NBA titles and becoming the league's MVP, it seemed the world wanted nothing so much as his autograph. That very year the man nicknamed the Dream had his own autograph seeker's thrill. He landed the signature of someone quite different from himself -- or perhaps not so different, for the noted architect Philip Johnson dedicated a copy of his book Glass House, "From the artist to an even greater artist."

Today Olajuwon, 44, proudly shows off that book in the living room of his home in Sugar Land, Texas, outside of Houston, a house inspired by Johnson and such modernist contemporaries as Richard Meier, Hugh Newell Jacobsen and Luis Barragán, as well as the Venetian Palladian style and the traditions of Olajuwon's Islamic faith. NBA big men are a lot like architects: Their first loyalties are to the functional -- score, rebound, block shots -- but the best synthesize existing modes with an artistic flourish or two. Like the architecture of his house, Olajuwon's aesthetic in the low post blended the old and the new. "To make the center position fun -- that was my vision," he says. "To add shakes and bakes and moves. If you're a center, you're thought to be mechanical. But when I faced up on a guy, I was no longer a center. I was a small forward."

Defenders never knew which of the diverse skills, learned during his multisport upbringing in Nigeria, the Dream would call upon: light feet from soccer, power and craftiness from team handball, hand-eye coordination from table tennis, sudden levitation from high jumping and volleyball. "My game was to play the same as a little guy, a cat's game -- but with big cats," says Olajuwon, who averaged 21.8 points and 11.1 rebounds over 18 seasons, and won a gold medal with the U.S. at the 1996 Olympics. (He became a U.S. citizen in 1993.) "One or two hard dribbles in traffic. Quickness. And timing."

In Utah he was once heckled by fans who accused him of traveling; afterward he told the press he was simply deploying "advanced moves." Hey, this was Bauhaus basketball. If a few philistines couldn't appreciate it, that was their own fault.

Indeed, the vernacular of the center position is straight out of the building trade -- the blocks, the post, the paint. Olajuwon himself was part of an imposing structure: For three seasons he and 7'4" Ralph Sampson formed the Rockets' Twin Towers. In light of all that, the NBA's alltime leader with 3,830 blocked shots could hardly have more appropriate postcareer pursuits than architecture and its commercial sibling, real estate.

Upon arrival in an NBA city, Olajuwon often would appraise the airport and downtown skyline. Even the style of the arenas caught his eye, from the Japanese provenance of The Rose Garden in Portland to the Hoosiers homage of Indianapolis's Conseco Fieldhouse. "If you're not conscious of architecture, you miss a lot," he says. "Even a design you disagree with, you see the potential. When somebody inspires your imagination, it gives you great joy."

Olajuwon had first tried investing in stocks, but, he says, "stocks can give you a false sense of security. Real estate -- it's real." So during the 1990s he began to explore opportunities around the city he has known since age 17, when he came from his hometown of Lagos to play for the University of Houston. Now, with a three-member support team, Olajuwon carefully studies satellite photos, traffic data, appraisals of adjacent buildings and planned municipal improvements. If he goes ahead with a deal, he'll put down only cash, in accordance with Islamic strictures that prohibit the charging or paying of interest. "The comfort zone is my Islamic principles," he says. "No borrowing, only what I can handle. There won't be appreciation overnight. The risk is in the timing. We know the value is there."

Because Olajuwon doesn't have to line up financing, the Houston real estate community loves working with him, for contracts get consummated promptly. It's the advantage of the quick first step, the very characteristic that distinguished the Dream as a big man. "He's one of the most disciplined investors I've ever seen," says David Cook, a VP with real estate giant Cushman & Wakefield who represents Olajuwon in dealings.

Olajuwon only buys and sells; he doesn't develop. That may seem odd given his love of architecture, but to be a developer he'd need a line of credit, which again would go against the Koran. Still, his design sense gives him an advantage. When it's time to resell a property, he'll invest thousands of dollars to commission renderings of possible uses, to help a buyer see the potential. Again and again real estate insiders in Houston have shaken their heads at some property for which they believed Olajuwon had overpaid. Yet there he was a few years later, turning it over at a handsome profit. He says he's made more money in 10 years of playing the Houston real estate market than he made in 18 seasons with the Rockets and the Toronto Raptors. "Plus," Olajuwon says, "we can sleep at night, knowing that we don't owe anything." He smiles. "Except property taxes."

Nearly every other block of downtown Houston features some property in which Olajuwon has had a role. Near the Convention Center and Minute Maid Park he has flipped two adjacent plots to high-rise developers, one for offices, another for apartments. He bought the land five years ago, when commercial builders didn't foresee another inner-loop high-rise for 10 years. Now expansion of a light-rail system has touched off a boom downtown, and the city is installing a park next to the new towers. "Plans for the park weren't known when I bought," Olajuwon says. "And that's why I can't say I'm so smart."

He picked up a 1,200-space downtown parking garage in a sealed-bid auction and collected a windfall when construction later wiped out three blocks of on-street parking, goosing the number of garage spaces under contract from 150 to nearly 1,000. The result of that construction -- an indoor shopping mall -- will further enhance the value. Says Cook, "People went from 'How could he pay that much?' to 'We should have been more aggressive.'"

Last November, Olajuwon bought an unoccupied Italianate mansion on 41 acres, strategically wedged between the Johnson Space Center and Clear Lake. He plans to sell off parcels to developers. "Islam is not about giving up anything," Olajuwon says. "It's about balance, doing things in moderation. You still do business, but you don't do greed. The concept is simplicity. But it's deceptive" -- here he laughs -- "because to simplify is complicated!"

Toward the end of his NBA career Olajuwon would spend off-seasons in Jordan, studying Arabic so he could read the Koran in the original. Now he inverts that schedule. He spends three or four months in Houston, checking up on his investments and tutoring NBA big men. The rest of the year he's in a farmhouse outside Amman, with his wife, Dalia, and their five children, ages 10 to two. Abisola, his daughter with his college sweetheart, Lita Richardson, will be a 6'3" sophomore center at Oklahoma next season.

No deal has meant more to Olajuwon than his very first real estate play, in the early 1990s. John Ballis, a member of his real estate team, took him by a historic bank building on Main Street, built in 1928 by future Texas governor Ross Sterling. "It was boarded up and awful looking, and could be had for a song," Ballis recalls. "I'm saying, 'Oh, it could be a hotel with a nice restaurant.' Hakeem quit listening. I went home that night and said to my wife, 'I don't understand -- Hakeem doesn't seem interested.' My wife said, 'Maybe it's because it looks like a mosque.'"

The two returned a short time later, and Ballis assured Olajuwon that the old bank could become anything he wanted. After three years' renovation the Islamic Da'Wah Center opened in 1995. Today the old bank vault houses a library of sacred texts, and prayer services take place twice daily beneath a gilded dome. Da'Wah means invitation but also has connotations of information and welcome. "That's Arabic," Olajuwon says. "To explain one word, you need many words."

Or, as any Koran-reading, post-play revolutionizing, architecture-loving real estate baron will tell you, to simplify is complicated.

2. DreamRoxCoogFan

the Dawah center is beautiful. I really like what he has done. and to do it all in accordane with Islam is amazing. Even now, Hakeem never stops amazing me.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I read the story a few days ago. Loved that whole section.

BTW-

That made me laugh. I serisously miss the big guy.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

can anyone just walk in and take a look around?

5. cson

cson Contributing Member

great article thanks

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I really respect this guy, but I've heard that the ONLY problem is that he ONLY speculates to flip the property. Since he never develops he often has pretty good real estate sit dormant and ugly for years until he's ready to sell.

In fact, I believe I read an article several years ago that some folks were a little frustrated with some property around the ballpark that he owned was ready to re-develop to improve the area, but he wanted to sit on it (it was basically slum area) and it added to the cruddiness of the area until he did sell it.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yes, I believe the city sold it to him, not sure.

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Great article. Given that Dream can't work with financing I'm wondering though if he has put together enough funds to develop without financing? If he likes architecture that much maybe he can try developing a few small projects that he already has the funds for.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

What the article didn’t mention was his foolish investment in 15 or so local Denny’s establishments. If you recall, he hired his brother Afis to run the Denny’s. There was the one in First Colony off HWY6 that was terribly mismanaged and offered bad service.

It got so bad that customers would often slam down their fork, and say “I demand to speak to Afis!” Afis would then emerge from the kitchen wearing an apron with spatula in hand only to say “Eees evertheeing alright heeear?”

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Didn't the Rockets draft Afis or sign him to some player contract?

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Stockton and Malone didn't elbow people in the jaw, they were using agressive defensive tactics...

12. ooze

ooze Member

yeah.. best time to visit is probably friday afternoon (1-2) when the main congregation is there.

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

What was the name of Hakeems agent when he was playing?

Does anyone know who is 3 memeber support team consist of?

14. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I recall he bought 26 Denny's restaurants-he sold them before the Adkins diet and health craze really hit- at a nice profit