1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should player recruiting be barred?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by kmart9419, Jul 10, 2012.

?

Should players be barred from communicating during free agency?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Player recruiting seems to be warping free agency and creating several super teams. Superstar players have enormous influence on free agents. The development is bad for the league as all the stars are concentrated in a few teams and everybody else are forgotten.

Teams are not allow to negotiate and recruit during certain periods, I think the same should go for players as well. I'm tired of hearing players will only play with this player and that player. I consider that tampering.

#1 kmart9419, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

This is incredibly hard to regulate.

3. AbrahamLincoln

Yea, this would be impossible to enforce.

4. kmart9419

Regulations can be put in place to make it difficult for the players to openly consult and meet. Any sort of barrier will be welcomed. Considering how a few players can determine if a franchise succeeds or fails, something needs to be done. Team stacking like lebron ruins the game. I still don't see him as a champion.

5. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Sounds like we are trying to restrict the rights of the players to interact with one another.

That is impossible to control and unnecessary, simply build a strong enough core unit or draft well and players will come to your squad.

6. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Players aren't chattel, even if this would make the game marginally better it would be incredibly unfair to the rights of the players. I hate super teams as much as anyone but c'mon.

7. kmart9419

Teams own the rights to these players. They are an enormous part of the business. Barring any type of discussion about free agency or playing with another player openly can easily be enforced via fines. How can anybody be happy with all the talent going to Miami and LA super teams.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Easy fix. Make the maximum offer half the salary cap.

9. Aceman2009

Aceman2009 Contributing Member

It practically is the half. Hell Kobe does make half.

10. Vnilla_Gorilla

Nothing the NBA can do about grown men talking in the privacy of their own homes.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No. Suck it up.

12. 713

713 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Max is variable based on years in league, % raise increase, and previous year's salary. I did not realize anyone had actually gotten near half the cap. I think there should be one Max for all players at half the salary cap.

14. Aceman2009

Aceman2009 Contributing Member

i agree and kobe is only getting that kind of money bcuz of the loyalty of staying with lakers. hopefully the new CBA is going to make things easier i the coming years. people just arent being patient enough to see it thru. the super teams, whatever they are now or will be this year, wont last long.

15. redsmitty03

redsmitty03 Member

Not controllable or feasible. Plus, the "Big Market" teams will fill up soon enough and then what?

16. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I think this would be nearly impossible to regulate, so I would answer no to the OP's question. A hard cap, however, could very well have gone a long way to prevent these "superteams" from forming in addition to allowing for more parity across the league, IMHO.

17. AverageAgain

AverageAgain Member

It is what it is...honestly, if you and your two or three best friends had potenial to play ball with one another, and get paid...you wouldn't? Part B, is if this is about winning championships then why wouldn't you want to play with the best possible players. This question comes off as almost jealous because of the state the organization is in...but last time I checked the Dream and Clyde were buds and "somehow" ended up here....then the Rocks aquired Barkley. So you're saying it is okay when the Rocks do it but are frustrated and angered when others have done it? Just wondering really.

18. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

It wan't help because these lame players would just take less money to stack the team. I think they should just have a hard salary cap and make it harder for players to leave the team that they are with. Something like, if the team you are with makes you an offer for the max, you can't leave. If the team you are with offers you less than the max, the only way you could leave is if another team offers you more than the original team. That way, only on superstar would end up on a team unless a team actually drafts well. That's the only way I see that this can be fixed.

19. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

You seem to forget that all those players were at the end of the road when they go together on the Rockets. They all retired 3 or 4 years later. Neither one of them were in their primes. The players today are doing this in their 20's. It's not about the state of the Rockets. I'm a basketball fan and like watching other teams too. As it stands now, their are only 5 or 6 teams worth watching and the rest suck. Back when Jordan played, their were anywhere between 15-20 teams worth watching. i honestly don't think I'll be watching ball this year.

20. AverageAgain

AverageAgain Member

You could also argue that Yaos skill enticed Tracy here...both arguably of star status. Basketball is a completely different game than it was 20 yrs ago. The league is guard and ballhandling forward heavy. The ball is now played outside in rather than inside out. That is why Yao was a rare breed in todays current state. Inside basketball is dead for the most part.