1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Lin play the final 5 minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wendzall, Mar 7, 2013.

1. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

For those who claim how they liked Lin but then turned against him because of his fans, are obviously telling a bad joke.

If you like a girl very much, but there are others guys like her, and you can't stand them. So you decide to hate that girl.

Yeah, that logic works. You will end up with a girl nobody likes, so you won't get annoyed.

Kids in Kindergarten reason better than you.

2. wendzall

wendzall Member

Here's another look at the data:

In the final 5 minutes of 20 close games of 7 points or less:

J Lin averaged: +1.5, 0.33 assists, 3.1 points
    Others PGs avg: - 1.8, 0.2 assists, 1.9 points

Let's put that into better perspective... by considering an average player plays 35 minutes in a game, 5 minutes = 1/7 of a full game, so by multiplying by 7 we can estimate what kind of game stats these represent.

So if J lin played a whole game like he played the final 5 minutes of these close games, His stats would be: 21.7 points and 2.3 assists.
    Other PGs would be: 13.3 points and 1.4 assists.

So yes, Lin can definitely score in crunch time but he hasn't been facilitating as like a PG. Also the idea that the other PGs are going to provide more scoring options is ridiculous. The idea they may provide more defense is debatable but even that is weak when you consider the obvious advantage that Lin has in +/-.

3. Postcall

Postcall Member

Your assertion included the fact that Lin does not complement harden which I dont believe is accurate. You are now asking a different question. Sorry if you feel insulted by my question.

4. recboil

recboil Member

this isn't about the issue of Harden vs Lin and whether or not they can coexist. it's moreso about Lin and Beverly and who can orchestrate better offense during crunch time. Beverly has more of that pestering D that TD had but he's not nearly as good as Lin at dictating the pace and moving the ball around. Lin can do all of that and have Harden finish the play or find an open shooter. It's pretty obvious that the Rockets stick to Iso Harden everytime we're within 1 possesion with seconds left....Lin adds another level of threat/options that Beverly doesn't. Plus, everyone talks about how great Beverly's D is and it's def added a spark to the game but it's not like Jeremy's D is non-existant like Jose Calderon.

1 person likes this.
  5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

There is reason that "perception" and "reality" are different words in dictionary.

Mavs' 9-17 in 4th quarter isn't evidence of better Rockets defense, not to mention outstanding.

A ZERO point output isn't evidence of better shooting or decision making.

But it's a free world, nobody will stop you choosing whatever you want to believe.

1 person likes this.
  6. wendzall

wendzall Member

The point of the original post was to ask should Lin play the last 5 minutes of games?

Well regardless of what you think about him or who you think has the hot hand during the game, if you look at the data, it's clear...over the course of 20 close games, Lin was the best PG!

7. wendzall

wendzall Member

in the final 5 minutes.

8. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

Considering the fact that Lin's clutch stats are comparable (if not better) to Harden, it's mind boggling how he's ranked 5th on the team in FGA in clutch situations (Douglas was 2nd in FGA before he was traded!).

1 person likes this.
  9. JMG524

JMG524 Member

x10000

These people just have hate in their blood. They don't bother with concepts such as logic or reason.

1 person likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm a girl. Lin this , Lin that. Lin caca .. Lin pipi..

Enough with the ****ing threads, insecure b****es.

11. LiveEatSleepRox

Hero ball with Harden works a lot of the time, he's already pulled off some amazing plays in his short career with the Rockets so far. However we really need another option, this second option isn't necessarily Lin. I would rather see Asik out there doing PnR with Harden, Lin or Parsons, especially in that Mavs game.

Throughout the game they couldn't stop Asik from going inside and they had to foul him on several occasions at the rim. I know he missed like 7 free throws last night but getting to the line is a lot better than Harden forcing a fading 24 footer and almost air-balling it. With Asik on the floor there's more of a balance, rather than having 4 players out on the 3 point line you've got one rolling/slipping to the basket for easy 2 points.

The only reason I would see Lin having a real shot at being on the floor in the final minutes in the Mavs game was if he was going to be as aggressive as Harden was going to the rim. BUT being able to dish it out to the shooters when the D collapses. Harden preferred to try and draw the foul, throw it up without hearing the whistle OR dribble and do a pull up or fade-away.

12. Postcall

Postcall Member

you mad brah?:p

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

9-17 is actually better than the rest of the game.

14. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Nice sig :grin:

15. RichardH

RichardH Member

At last night games during timeout around 2:20 left, even Mav TV guys were openly questioning why McFail didn't put Asik and Lin back. After McFail didn't do, they looks very shocked and happy.

McHale ego prevent him from putting Asik/Lin back in.

16. Windchime

Windchime Member

I honestly don't care who McHale trusts more or whatever the current situation is. I just want some consistency with the rotation. If playing Beverley is because he has the hot hand or good energy, then stick with that philosophy when Lin is playing well in the first. If it's because he thinks Beverley is more trustworthy or is the better fit for the team, then start Beverley. Either way, more consistency and less confusion is welcome.

Right now it seems that 4th quarter playing time is for Beverley to lose (blowouts either way, Beverley plays, close games, Beverley plays unless he is bombing things). If he thinks Beverley i the better player, then play Lin in blowouts and save Beverley's energy for close games. This current situation just doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm fine with Beverley playing crunch time, but if he is playing in crunch time, let him have a break before the final 5 minutes, even Lin had some rest time in that Spurs game that Harden sat out.

Is it too much to ask for some consistency in terms of how rotations are made?

--> Still all that said, I personally prefer playing Lin in crunch minutes because he is more proven, even if it's just because he has more playing experience. However, I understand player rotation is McHale's decision and it's his liberty to decide who is a better fit for the situation. It's within McHale's rights to play Beverley in the 4th if he thinks it'll bring better results, but give the poor kid some rest before crunch time if that's the case.

17. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

You really don't understand how statistics work, do you?

18. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

Not having Lin in for the final 5 min. against Collison ( 28 out of 33 points the past 2 games)
    is just a dumb move

Rox could have also ran the Lin/Harden PNR to get Marion off of Harden and if Marion doesn't switch, Lin can drive to the lane, If Marion switches we can ISO Harden/Collison

19. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

The difference is literally 1 game. If we won last night, then the percentages would be against Lin. Aren't you may jumping to conclusions a little? There are a lot of factors that go into who wins, and if the difference is 1 game, I'd say it's pretty inconclusive data. I mean, imagine if Delfino made that three last night and we won, would you look at the data and say it's clear that Lin shouldn't be playing in the last 5 minutes? Lin is the default choice, but sometimes Beverly will outplay him and deserves to stay in. It's a game by game decision.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can we not have a thread title in all caps? Why do that? Why? Jesus that's annoying.

And as to whether Lin "should" play in the final 5 minutes, that depends on the game. In general, though, I'd rather see him out there than Beverly.

In the final few possessions last night we could have used him on offense when Harden looked tired and we were struggling.

I kept thinking that Lin was sitting so we could ride him at the end of the 4th, but he just never got put in. I understand why McHale did it, I just don't agree with it.