1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Lin play the final 5 minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wendzall, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

I find it laughable that u guys are defending a decision which lead to a lose.

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I find it ridiculous that a bunch noobs come on this board and b**** about a winning season and an exciting team! The Rockets are in the playoff picture. Some people are happy. The Rockets haven't been this exciting in a long time. Enjoy the season! Enjoy the board! You guys are Debbie Downers with PMS. I swear, wtf with all the emo people showing up on this board?

3. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

That rotation with harden and beverly combo in the 1st quarter was horrible. Just go back and watch it . Freaking obvious. Only when harden rotated off the court from that combo did they improve. Basically mchale went to that ****ty combo in reverse in the 4th.

Doez the man learn from this mistakes?

4. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

Another poster just remarked that you're not taking in account that Beverly is usually brought out to face bench players. Further, per Synergy, Beverly is giving up .98PPP on defense, 1.21ppp on isolation plays, while Lin is giving up .87ppp on defense, .91ppp on isolation plays, which are significant differences. Also, Lin is a far better at team defense than Beverly, which is not even accounted for using Synergy stats.

5. wendzall

wendzall Member

But by looking at the +/- of only the last five minutes I have essentially minimized the blurring/summary effect of a 48 minute game. But how about I show you the raw data and you can draw the same conclusions as the averages, in fact they are more compelling...

+/-, Asst, Pts
    7 1 2
    -1 0 0
    -1 0 7 ----------(WINS w/LIN)
    7 2 5
    3 0 2
    13 0 9

3 0 2
    2 0 0
    1 0 4
    -4 0 1 -----------(LOSSES w/LIN)
    -2 0 5
    4 1 4
    -1 0 0
    -3 0 2

2 0.29 3.1 ----average----(+/-, asst, pts)

----------------------------------------------------------------
    7 0 7-------(TD WIN)
    6 0 4

3 0 3-------(PB WIN)

-5 0 0
    -9 0 3--------(TD LOSS)
    1 0 2
    -4 0 0

-4 2 0
    -2 0 0--------(PB LOSS)
    -3 0 0

-1 0.2 1.9 ------average-----(+/-, Asst, Pts)

Do you notice how even in close losses Lin manages to have positive +/- for half his games with -4 being the most negative.
    In contrast, when they lose the other two PGs have had mostly negative +/- except 1 game by TD when he had a +1.
    Overall, Lin has a positive +/- in 8 of 14 games (57%).
    While TD was 3 of 6 in positive +/- (50%)
    and PB was 1 of 4 in positive +/- (25%)

So although TD had a better case for playing the last 5 minutes of close games than Beverly Lin had the best results in crunch time....

Well, at least for a 20 game sample.

6. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

It's funny you talked about 82 games, and how many did Beverly play exactly, including a blown out? Yao was a 100% 3 pointer shooter at one time.

Let's just start Beverly over Lin for all I care.

All I know was, the decision led to a ZRRO point production from PG position in 15 mins and a loss on the end.

Now you can spin all you want to.

7. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

So you going to celebrate a lost? Yeah maybe some folks are abit nuts, but they are just fans. Anyway if we should and are a better team than this teams which we lost to so far in the post break.

8. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

:grin:

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I'm not celebrating a loss. You're just blabbing.

10. kozmo

kozmo Member

If Mchale continues to make these kinds of horrible decisions the rockets wont make the playoffs and it will be entirely on him....Lin was the best Rocket on the floor in the first half.....everyone was talking his confidence and the energy he was playing with.....in the 3rd he played well scoring 5....I like Beverly but hes simply not the player that Lin is and that decision to not play Asik and Lin in the 4th is the only reason the rockets lost....congrats Mchale....Rediculous

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe my memory is getting spotty (which is very possible). But I don't remember Parsons getting benched at the last 5 minutes of a close game. I do remember Asik and Lin on the bench during crunch time, and this was not the only time.

Also, Delfino is a very inconsistent player. And yet he gets to play a lot in the 4th quarter even when he has gone 1-8 shooting the whole game.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

If the Rockets do make the playoffs is that on McHale too? How about the Rockets' current winning record?

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

If he's willing to take credit, then he should own up to his fair share of blame. I thought that's basic professionalism. So far, he hasn't admitted any mistake. Of course, he's far better than coaches like Pop.

14. wendzall

wendzall Member

I admit this is a relevant point to critique, in that I may have missed some games that were close at the 5 minute mark but that ended by more than 7 point difference. That would make the average of the 5 minute stats somewhat lacking but the raw data are still compelling for what they do include which are 20 close games that show Lin significantly better than TD and PB.

I will go back when I have more time and review the remaining 40 games to check for games that were within 7 at the 5 minute mark for a more conclusive data set.

15. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Celebrating ok questionable.... Defending a lost, definite yes. Stop this negativity. We know the Rockets are better than this.:mad:

16. Windchime

Windchime Member

I remember that Yao 100% 3pt shooting thing. If I recall correctly, the 100% lasted the whole season too. Let's not forget the behind the back dribble either, point center action lololol.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

82games is a website

18. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

How is he the one being negative lol, you guys are depressing and antagonistic. Every thread is a complaint. Takes the wind out of an exciting season.

19. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

LOL lots of LOFS:grin:

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Can you remove Tony Douglas from the equation please? He got dumped.