1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] DeMarcus Cousins tears achilles

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jan 26, 2018.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Wow, I can't believe he ruptured his Achilles tendon on that play. I remember when Curry twisted his ankle and that looked so much worse. On this play, it just looked like he landed awkwardly and maybe sprained it. It just didn't look that serious.

Hopefully he can fully recover.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I feel bad for Cousins. This is pretty crazy how big of an impact this injury has.

1. The All-Star Game
    2. The Pelicans' playoff hopes... certainly their first round upset hopes.
    3. Trade Deadline
    4. Cousins' free agency

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yeah pretty big ramifications, western playoff picture too! We could’ve faced them and they were a serious threat at a first round nightmare for anyone with those 2 big guys.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is only going to show that post injured Cousins is still an absolutely valuable asset.

6. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

7. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Such a simple move can injure someone like that. Tough luck.
    I hope Cousins get well soon and hopefully in pre-injury level.

On a side note, that is the importance for the big man to make their free throws.

8. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

9. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Given it's January, he won't be back till likely Jan next year, no?

SIL

10. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I was on board with getting this guy at all costs. He's terrifically skilled, regardless of position, and he causes all kinds of players for opposing teams. It was also almost a shame watching David and his efforts being wasted so frequently, and I felt pretty good about them finally being in the playoffs. I mean, they're young, both seem like good guys (Cousins gets a bad rap for being justifiably upset), and they're fantastic talents. Not sure I'd say go in at all costs anymore after this unfortunate injury, but I can surely say that I hope he gets well soon and comes back to resume what could possibly be a hall of fame caliber career. Get well, big fella.

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It sucks to wake up to this news. Pelicans finally are getting it together and Boogie goes out on a simple landing. Damn.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not to be insensitive, but who replaces him on the All Star team?

13. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Cold blooded there fans are already trying to trade him for dwight howard lol

18 MIL expiring.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

D*MN!!! I feel so bad for him.
    this sux

Rocket River

15. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

I wonder how long he will be out for?

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

No, I think not.

Look at Wesley Mathews of the Mavericks. He tore his Achilles playing for Portland and then that off-season signed a big contract with the Mavericks. Mathews game has declined a little bit, but he's still a pretty good player.

Now, this injury certainly could cause major problems for Cousins. He may never play at the same level again. But, someone will take a chance on Cousins this summer.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mathews has yet to regain the level of play he was at before the injury and not only is he in the absolute prime of his career where his numbers should be as good as they are going to get but he's also on a scrub team where any player worth a damn should have amazing numbers since there are almost no good players on the team (being a seemingly big fish in a mud puddle).

On top of that, Boogie is a LOT heavier than Matthews and he's logged a lot more minutes in the NBA than Matthews did when he popped his Achilles.

I'm not saying there's no chance that Boogie bounces back, but so very few players are the same after that injury and it ends the career of so many that you sort of have to assume the worst while hoping for the best.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not to mention sort of the domino effect of playoff standings - New Orleans could've been the lower seed upset threat that the NBA playoffs have been missing for a while.

As much as I don't care for Cousins, this just continues paving the road in Gold for the Warriors, per usual.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

This injury takes about a year just to be able to be cleared to play. Likely a bit longer to get back to high level of playing

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This will have a ripple effect of epic proportions. Looking at NO's caproom for next season, they canNOT afford to let Cousins go as they have about $95 million committed to the roster even before factoring in Cousins. Of course there's another option...

Which is to trade AD now and rebuild. Move him to Boston for picks, Brown, and Tatum and you can start the rebuilding quicker. Move Asik and Hill's combined contracts and you remove about $20 million off the cap next season.