1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Shabazz Muhammad. A Lock for the 1st Overall Pick in the 2013 NBA Draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Johnson2000, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

2. cdain3

cdain3 Member

I agree with everything he said 100%. Lebron doesn't have the killer instinct that MJ had. He proved that against the pacers today. Noway in hell would a Jordan lead team lose to the pacers by 20 in the playoffs.

3. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Kid has talent, but I wouldn't say he is an "elite" level athlete. He's a pretty good athlete and his game more or less resembles James Harden/Tyreke Evans.

4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Either him or Nerlens Noel, also think Cody Zeller is a dark horse for #1

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

With the love for bigmen I think noel gonna end up #1, Muhammad needs a strong campaign to top him. Zeller doesn't have enough hype surrounding him right now.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Like Oden over Durant, eh?

7. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate it when people make this dumb argument over and over, like Durant would be the consenses #1 choice. Not. Even. Close.

Oden would still be drafted before Durant even today, of course not counting his injury history. Oden's per 36 min stats in his SECOND season were 16.7 pts, 12.8 rebs, 3.4 blks, and shot 60.5% FGs. Before anybody says that they were inflated, he managed to play 24 minutes per game and averaged 11.1 pts, 8.5 rebs, and 2.3 blks. That is incredible.

Oden was close and would probably have exceeded Dwight Howard on defense. He was also a 77% FT shooter and already showed more offense than Howard. Remember, this was Oden's second season in the NBA. He had potential to be Bynum on offensive and Dwight on defense. There is NO WAY that you take Durant #1 even now if Oden was healthy.

Now, think about this. Who would you take? Dwight or Durant? Honestly, I'd take Dwight over Durant if we had an all NBA draft, and I'm sure most GMs would do the same. Oden was going to be better than Dwight in basically all facets of the game. Oden was the top choice no question.

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I agree. Oden was going to be a beast with if wasn't for the injuries. Almost every gm would have picked Oden first. It was unfortunate (seems to happen alot to the blazers).

But back to the point of the thread. This guy's going to be Harden with a little more athleticism.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What's "dumb" is to argue "over and over" that size always trumps when it doesn't. You have to look at the players involved. I saw KD at UT and Oden at Ohio State and I never saw a franchise player in Oden. I wanted the Blazers to take KD. I never bought the Oden Kool-Aid.

Arguing Howard vs. Durant is irrelevant because that was never the choice.

Don't bet on Noels or Muhammad just yet.

10. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What do you mean size never trumps? It always does and always will, at least in the GMs' eyes. Size will also force the other team to shooter jumpers instead scoring in the post. D. Howard is in the conversation because Oden was projected to have D. Howard's defensive abilities with a better offensive game. Oden's play during his second season certainly shows this to be the case. Kevin Durant is a great offensive player, but he is adequate (maybe above average) on defensive. He does not dominate on both sizes of the ball like the Lebrons and Kobes, or maybe a prime Dwyane Wade.

Oden was showing D. Howard like defense with progressing offense, much like Bynum's projection trend. Even if Oden does not get to this level, and simply becomes another D. Howard with better FT shooting, I doubt many people would select Durant over Oden.

As far as watching Durant vs. Oden in college....of course Durant would look like a superstar. He was 6'10, shooting over midgets; any 6'10 SG/SF with quickness and a shot will look like a superstar in college. Hell, Beasley looked even better than Durant at Kansas State. I disagree about Oden in college. He didn't look like an offensive superstar, but he did defensively. You can also see loads of potential on the offensive side as well.

11. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Im sorry but im not sold on Nerlens Noel

How many times have we seen athletic twigs with great shotblocking prowess... and no offense ability make it in the NBA. ... cough Hassan Whiteside, DeAndre Jordan

I'd take Cody Zeller or Muhammad easily over Noel

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Hasheem Thabeet

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Calm down and read. I didn't say size "never" trumps. I said the notion it "always" does is dead wrong because you have to look at the player instead of the stereotype.

I don't remember Oden's offense being projected as anything other than a work in progress. You talk about his 2nd year in Portland. I watched almost all of the Blazers games and his offense wasn't good at all. He had bad hands and shot hooks with his palms. It was painful watching him sometimes. He never showed Howard-like defense because he wasn't nearly as mobile and quick off his feet. Where you got that from escapes me. He was also WAY more clumsy than Howard.

The positives were that his rebounding and defense were steadily improving and LaMarcus Aldridge finally got used to playing next to him. I was pretty pumped for the Blazers (who were my 2nd favorite team at the time). Then his kneecap broke right before our eyes as AB ran past him.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm with you about Zeller. IU is loaded and it will be interesting to see how they pan out with very high expectations.

15. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

16. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

kwame...!!!

are you a fellow runnin rebel....?!?!?

unlv stand up...

shabazz is a beast... being from las vegas ive been able to follow him a bit.... man is a beast...

that being said i still think he goes behind nerlens noel... maybe even zeller... it all depends on how tje next season goes... he chose ucla to improve his defense... hes already solid offensivly... future all-star barring injury...

1 person likes this.
  18. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

How is his NBA comparison MKG... MKG hasn't even played a NBA game. That's more like a college basketball comparison.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

thats what im saying...

20. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

At 0:15 he's about to block some dude's shot. At 0:17 he's doing a crossover immediately followed by a spin move. 0:23-0:25 he's using a Eurostep.

As for Shabazz, he's another hyped AAU kid. Who cares. Let him prove that he's any good in college before we start talking about him.