1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously - what are they trying to do in Los Angeles right now?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by glimmertwins, Jul 3, 2018.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Aside from Lebron, I just don't get their summer. They are trying to fill out the roster around him and it just looks weak AF - significantly worse than Cleveland and not anywhere close to enough to be able to complete in the West. I guess this is all a set up for a chance to sign Kawhi next year but this just seems really dangerous to me. It seems like a lot can happen between now and then and meanwhile they are wasting Lebron's year 34.

I would be SHOCKED if SA actually trades Kawhi to the Lakers - seems like the return would be weak enough(I'm not high on Ingram or Ball) that they mind as well keep Kawhi another year and hope they can rebuild their relationship...and if they were going to trade - it seems Boston is a much more attractive trade target - any one of Rozier, Brown, or Tatum + future picks is much better return than what LA can offer and I imagine there are other teams who can also trump LA's offer to take a flyer in Kawhi. Regardless, SA has to make that decision now because the return on a partial year possible rental is only going to get smaller once the season starts.

...but let's say that the Lakers sign a bunch of one year players, piss the year away but and do get Kawhi outright as a FA next year - then what? They still got $19 mil cap space tied up in Deng so essentially it will be 35 yr old Lebron, Kawhi hopefully back to 100%(big 'if' from a guy who hasn't player in over a year now), and then whatever pieces they can acquire with what few resources they will have left WITH the looming raises of their young players like Ingram/Ball. I just don't see the plan here aside from "make splashy FA signings". It just doesn't make any sense and is made all the more frustrating by the wave of media talking about the Lakers as contenders next year - WTF? I'm not even sure the Lakers as presently constructed will make it to the playoffs without some huge strides from Ingram/Ball(like Ball coming back with a legit 3pt shot).

Someone try to explain to me what the plan is here or why all these media heads are high on the Lakers. Signing Lebron is a big win for them but it's just one step and they need like 10 strong steps to be a legit contender and they are running out of time with LBJ because father time is undefeated even against the GOAT....

2. LostTXWrangler

The Lakers should wait a year , no need to gut the team. Kuzma & Ingram are very good parts of their future. Kawhi will join them next year. The only way GSW will get challenged is by building another super duper stacked roster.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LeBron is in LA for lifestyle. He will play hard, if they win, great. If not, he's there for lifestyle anyway.

Magic is doing his best - which is pretty much the pre-analytics era jock-ocracy way of doing things. Think Jordan as GM. It might actually work if they get a 2nd star next summer. Who knows maybe a 30+ year old Harden ends up in LA or CP3 shows up as a role player when the ROckets rebuild.

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The problem with their young players is they all seem very one dimensional - I dont get the Kuzma/Ingram love. Maybe I completely misread those guys though...

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is just trying to sign guys to 1 year contracts. It isn't that hard to figure out. No fancy analytics needed for that.

6. malakas

malakas Member

You want to hear their delusional plan or what it's more likely to happen?
    Their plan is to kick their capspace down one year. If they can get Kawhi now by paying only peanuts and most importantly by getting rid of Deng to SA then fine.
    Otherwise they plan to make the playoffs with so called defensive speciallists, probably make the WCF or something (LMAOOO) and build a good reputation to attract along with Kawhi as UFA, ringchasing vets at discount. Also showcase some of their cheap kids like Hart, Ingram, Ball and trade them away when their trade value is higher in the middle of the season. Also probably fire Walton by next season and instal a puppet.

What is going to happen:
    The lockeroom will implode much more than a usual Lebron circus lockeroom. There may be fistfights even. Instead of a good reputation they will hardly qualify for the playoffs. There will be disgruntlment and Rondo will speak his mind at least once in the media and blame will be tossed around.
    Lakers fans will start critisizing everyone but Lebron.

In the summer after all that, Kawhi would be not interested to join a team with such a toxic environment and probably go join the Clippers.
    Instead they will sign players like Kemba Walker and around that caliber.

hakeem94 and JayGoogle like this.
  7. Yukyuk

Yukyuk Member

It's a stretch, but I can understand signing KCP (Klutch client) and Javale (rim runner). Both can be solid defensively as well. And maybe even Lance for defense and such. But dropping Randle to sign Rondo is just crazy. They already have Lonzo, and Randle is a beast.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, I wonder if the Rondo signing was an admission that they don't think Ball can stay healthy.

9. adoo

adoo Member

next to getting LeBron on board, this was the smartest move by the LAL

first and foremost, he is there to push Lonzo; also he is the PG insurance should Lonzo be involved in a trade to get Kawhi B4 the trade deaudline in Feb.

for Kawhi, SAS must pick up Deng's contrat (who'd fit w Pop's system), Ball, Ingram or Kuzma, and future 1st round pick

this is the best offer the SAS will get, far better what can either Bos or Philly can offer ?
    LAL and SAS are playing a game of chicken. Magic/Pelinka signing all this one yr contract for FA, the message to SAS is that

LALs are not blinking, and daring Pop to make a deal w Bos or Philly​

just the opposite. LAL can offer the best package, by far. what can Bos or Philly offer ?

easy w the meaningless rhetoric.

which member of the media, specifically, have been saying that LAL will be contender ?

Barkley said that LAL, assuming no more signings, will probably be the 5th to 7th best team in the WC; Colin Cowherd said that
    LAL will win 48 to 50 games, an improvement of 13-15 games. i m in the ball park.

they're both good defenders and scorer. Ingram was running the point when Ball was injured. Kuzma is the better 3-pt shooter and rebounder. LAL's 3rd youngster, Hart, who shot close to 40% on 3's, was the team best defender.

#9 adoo, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  10. TheRocketsFTW

TheRocketsFTW New Member

my 2 cents.. Lebron will be a billionaire by 2022 and will purchase the Cavaliers or a NBA TEAM

11. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Signing one year deals to get the next best free agent in next off season, then everyone will be on lakers nuts for the next 3 years.
    Isn't it obvious?

12. Yukyuk

Yukyuk Member

Sure, I guess when you can swap a young big/asset for an aging, non-shooting, ball dominant PG in order to strike fire in the belly of your 20yr old PG, or for a trade that may or may not happen, you gotta do it!

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

GM Lebrun and magic.... need I say more??????

14. esketit

esketit Member

lol the cav OR an ndba team? i like it. cavs are basically G league

15. adoo

adoo Member

u got that right

may be not.

he may be following Kobe, ie, after retiring from NBA, go win an Oscar Award

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thank you. The strategy really isn't hard to understand. May as well close the thread.

This is one reason why they let Randle go for Rondo.

17. omgTHEpotential