1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson needs to start to open the lane for Harden layups

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets1995, Apr 22, 2018.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Ryan Anderson needs to start again because the Timberwolves are really comfortable with Taj Gibson continually standing in the paint waiting for James Harden to drive and body up on James Harden, Eric Gordon, Chris Paul. It doesn't wide bodies of Karl Anthony Towns and Taj Gibson are comfortable in the Paint. A stretch Forward is needed. Taj, Kat blocks his shot or causes a turnover. P.J. Tucker has been playing terrible not shooting over the 3 point shot over the top, only Ryan Anderson can make deeper 3 point shot, he is really needed to start off the game. The Rockets can have a 30 point 1st quarter. The first 3 games the Rockets the 1st quarter we barely making it to 20. The offense is so stagnant when Tucker Starts. I know Ryan is not popular with fans, but the Rockets need to at least try it. In order to pick up the pace offensively.

#1 rockets1995, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I promise you someone has already made this same thread yesterday “ start Ryan , bench tucker” didn’t you read it ?

FTW Rockets FTW and s3ts like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Ain't gonna be no more layups if we miss open threes

RyanB and BigShasta like this.
  5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Ryan was shooting well

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It was a decent game by his standards. I meant for everyone else because we've baked in his off nights too.

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Fair enough. I agree - Tucker can’t start and be a complete zero on offense. It allows Minnesota to snuff out the pick and roll. The entire offense is predicated on defenses having to stay at home on shooters until the pick and roll action is complete and the involved defenders are scrambling due to poor position or mismatches. If you dare us to shoot and we miss, then you’ve basically solved the problem.

RyanB and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I want more pick and pop .. it's what's been missing. Ryan needs to tighten up the turnovers and be more aggressive.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Anderson only started 1 of the 4 regular season matchups against them. PJ started the other 3. I think the weakness is Ariza. In our 2 biggest blowouts over them Luc was starting for Ariza and he had a big impact.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Or start sliding Tucker over more for back screens to give Ariza/Gordon/Green a fraction of a second more to shoot.

Ryan ankle is still a little gimpy. Wolves were trying to attack his defense on the perimeter.

RyanB and saleem like this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ryan can alter shots near the basket and get some defensive rebounds. Great points about Tucker.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’m for either or.

In a thread about picking the finals teams, I did not pick Houston. The main reason being the play of PF.
    PJ Tucker is undersized and vs better teams they can take advantage of Tucker’s lack of leaping ability.
    But he can make himself useful by setting screens. In the regular season I noticed Tucker did not shoot
    3’s very much. It was only a matter of time for teams to leave him open.....daring him to shoot more than
    3 a game. It’s ok, I saw the Spurs vs Warriors game today.....at the end of the game neither Draymond nor
    iguladala wanted to shoot 3’s.

Ryan can do many things well. Or well enough. The one thing I give up on Ryan is shooting in Toyota Center.
    Some female reporter claimed she saw Ryan’s ankle before game 2; said it looked very swollen.
    Probably misdirection fake news.....maybe not. His perimeter defense is questionable even when he is
    healthy.

If Luc was healthy, I would pick Houston to win it all (despite CP3’s lack of post up defense....concern of mine as well).
    The correct homer in me answers the question of who gets to the finals this year?

Houston vs ....IT DOESN’T MATTER WHO WE FACE!!!!

13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

No he doesnt need to start but he needs more minutes at the 5.

In the regular season we looked good when we spaced them out like that

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Ryno will eat into Tucker's minutes, and I think he might take all the backup C minutes too.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

In such a stats heavy organization, I have to assume they have detailed analytics on the impact to the team based on who is starting. Sample size probably isn't that significant yet, but I'm sure they have stats.

Doesn't help that Ryan has either (i) sucked, or (ii) been in and out, so much this year.

Lawlruschang and RyanB like this.
  16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i agree with the thread title but couldn't make it through the giant block of text. try breaking it up every few sentences.

to the topic, i don't think ryno belongs in the starting lineup. the wolves have a good offense and will attack him on d. off the bench he can take nene's minutes so we can go with a 5-out lineup to open things up.

go with an 8 man rotation with ego, green, ryno as our only bench guys for game 4.

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

In the one game Anderson started, the Rockets won the 1st quarter 26-17 and Ryno had a +/- of 20, and this wasn't even one of his better shooting games either. He didn't make a single three, but his spacing was clearly valuable.

18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

The problem is Harden wont layup when the lane is open. He just passed the ball to Tucker with 5s left.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Did you watch the game or not? We lost not because we couldn't shoot, it was because we couldn't DEFEND:

Nene -7
    Capela -7
    Tucker -7
    Anderson -12

Now you want to start the worst defensive big in the lineup? SMH I know Tucker scores only 5 pts a night but at keast he can clog the paint better than Anderson. There's a reason Anderson was almost 50% worse than the other bigs and that was on a night he shot 4-6.

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

No, he's too soft and hesitant. At least Tucker lets it fly. Cannot change starting lineups now after it has worked so well. What we need is someone to elevate his game. I'm so pissed seeing plenty of players on other teams doing what they did in the regular season and amping it up, while all of our role players are shrinking on the offense side of the ball. Can we get one guy to please be aggressive and just play with that play-off intensity.

roslolian likes this.