1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumor]Jeff Van Gundy being pursued by Texas A&M

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PointForward, May 12, 2011.

1. PointForward

PointForward Member

Billy Liucci and several others sources have reported that Jeff Van Gundy is in the conversation for the head coaching vacancy at Texas A&M. Rockets related because JVG is awesome.

http://twitter.com/#!/billyliucci

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I can't picture Jeff Van Gundy relocating to College Station.

3. liljojo

liljojo Member

Why would he want to coach college?

4. ThaShark316_28

Aggy strikes again.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sounds like a diluted Aggie pipe dream. Like when fans wanted Cowher (lol). But if JVG goes to College Station I'm re-enrolling ASAP. Get my masters or a second bachelors, who cares. Shoot, I'd go get in my best shape and try to walk-on.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

...and you thought Buzz was going to be expensive.

7. Mattj

Mattj Member

A one sided pursuit. Move on Byrne your coach does not currently reside in West U.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I can't decide if he'd be good/capable at recruiting or not, beyond the name, but otherwise I think he'd be a great college coach.

Ultimately, though, I don't see why he would do it. He's not going to win a championship at A&M (sorry, but most likely true). It's a grind - maybe not quite as much as the NBA, but nearly. He's got a cushy job now. He can probably wait out a decent sounding NBA job, which will pay more, when the time is right.

It'd be fun to watch as a sports fan, though.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If true, I applaud him for trying at least. That's all you can ask of your AD. The Texans wont even bother pursuing certain guys, it gets frustrating. Make a phone call at least...

JVG would make a great college basketball coach. He'd be the best coach in the NCAA immediately. Charlie Ward would come along, do a little football & basketball. Work with the point guards AND quarterbacks. That's just too cool!

10. Mattj

Mattj Member

I have no doubt JVG can coach, but there is no way he is kissing AAU coach and spoiled 16 year old butts.

11. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

The thing I don't get is why Byrne even thought to contact JVG. Did JVG's friend's friend's friend say that JVG was interested or something.

This whole thing is just weird, and as an Aggie, it feels like we are the butt of yet another Aggie joke in this whole thing.

Byrne just looks dumb being rejected by JVG so why even take that risk? Who is next? I hear Phil Jackson is available.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That will be Charlie Ward's problem. Other top athletes will come to play for an NBA coach, that'll be a big enough draw to land a 5 star every 3 years at minimum.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Who cares if he looks dumb? The man is trying. He just gained major points in my book. The best part is, even if its just a 1 year "lets see what happens" type thing for Van Gundy, it'll keep our program afloat. Turgeon left this thing at the worst possible time.

14. Convictedstupid

Not that this rumor has any ounce or shred of credibility, but I don't think he would have to relocate.

He already lives in Houston, it's only an hour and a half drive.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He'll do it for 10M per year.

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

This rumor has already been confirmed according Brent Zwerneman or whatever. All the rumor is, is that JVG was contacted by A&M, and apparently JVG has confirmed he was contacted. Doesn't mean he has any interest in it whatsoever.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe JVG is trying to stir the Lakers into action, see if they come calling or not.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

JVG said on local radio he likes to walk over to Rice University and watch their games.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Football most likely.

20. tosweet68

tosweet68 Member

I believe he also said that he really didn't have any interest in coaching in college......in an interview months ago.