1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy T on the importance of guard play for big men…

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ty_Webb, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

I remember the year after we drafted Kenny Thomas, Rudy was on the radio defending the pick…

KT was very highly rated coming out of HS, then at New Mexico he had a good 1st year but never really lieved up to the hype. Solid player, just not the all-american that many expected he would be.

Rudy addressed this by saying it all had to do with GUARD PLAY. He stated that he and CD watched tons of film on him and that UNM guard play was awful and this greatly hindered KTs development. The UNM guards did a terrible job of getting the ball to KT in a position to be successful. They recognized this in scouting him and thought he was way under evaluated due to this fact.

I wonder how much Rudy would contribute guard play to our lack of production from the front court and LOW FG% from such players as EG?

2. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

I would say A LOT. That's why we need to get rid of one of our guards. They are both selfish. Taking one away will hopefully change the other. Or the remaining one will cry to death. Heh...Rudy T saying their guards were terrible and couldn't get the ball to Kenny Thomas. Look at ours! I guess the guards are in control. It doesn't matter. Do you want to run plays for Eddie Griffin? He can't do much down low...Mo Taylor can sometimes be very good...but not always. Kenny Thomas wasn't that consistent, either. He was a good player, but James Posey has been great! Someone needs to tell Rudy that his guards are pretty much like New Mexico, maybe worse!

Beat Minnesota!

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The Rockets miss Kenny.

4. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

I don't think Kenny would have helped. Then Terence Morris would be our starting Small Forward? Or Kenny Thomas and Eddie Griffin could be playing at the same time. Kenny Thomas never really passed the ball. Usually, he went crazy spinning around and missing. Sometimes, he made really nice moves and scored. But that didn't happen very often. I like James Posey. It is disappointing that we got whooped by the Mavericks. Do we miss Walt Williams?