1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ronaldo, O Fenomeno to retire at the age of 34.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ClutchCity3, Feb 14, 2011.

1. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

What a sad day for football :(

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...ldo-confirms-retirement-from-football?cc=5901
    He is the best striker EVER. :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9iXOMPo7cEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. gah

gah Member

Wow, he is only 34? If you told me 38 I would have beleived it, he's been around for my entire football memory.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

AMAZING. Great career of El Fenómeno. I could have sworn he was older, too.

Good for him. He is one of the least whiny superstars out there. As evident in that video, he could get a beating and still keep the ball, while controlling himself to stay up not ever stopping to request a foul called from the referee, and finally scoring. That's what I liked about him. I will ALWAYS remember him in '02... when he won it all.

I know he's fat now. :grin:

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The greatest mix of speed/strength/skill in the modern era of soccer.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3M7R8nKMxlo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That is disgusting.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He's the king of pulling $hit out of his ass.

Spectacular.

7. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Were gonna miss you Ronaldo.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/200UXfWgMQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. PointForward

PointForward Member

Been watching the game for a long time, I've never seen anyone in any sport with a faster burst of acceleration than Ronaldo. Just amazing.

Those highlight videos kind of make me miss the old days. You simply don't see players of that caliber anymore. Brazil alone had like 6 absolute studs on the same team back in the day. It was Rivaldo Ronaldo Roberto Carlos Cafu. Ridiculous.

Today we have that f*g Cristiano flopping and acting like a b!tch and a bunch of other overrated prima donnas. Messi would be so much easier to root for if he wasn't such a little ***** as well.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That would be Gerd Müller. 68 goals in 62 national team matches (for comparison, Ronaldo: 62 in 97).

Gerhard "Gerd" Müller (German pronunciation: [ˈɡɛɐt ˈmʏlɐ]; born 3 November 1945 in Nördlingen) is a former German football player and one of the most prolific goalscorers of all time.
    With national records of 68 goals in 62 international appearances, 365 goals in 427 Bundesliga games and the international record of 66 goals in 74 European Club games, he was one of the most successful goalscorers of his era. Müller is now 8th on the list of all time international goalscorers despite playing fewer matches than every player in the top 15. His nicknames are “Bomber der Nation” (the nation's Bomber) and “kleines dickes Müller” (Small fat Müller, declension intentionally wrong).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerd_Müller

Müller also only needed two world cups (with fewer games played, too) in 1970 and 1974 to rack up his 14 goals. Ronaldo had a lot more games in three world cup to get his 15.

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Definitely one of the top 5 strikers of all time, great player and a person, we all gonna miss him.