1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets v. Jazz film study

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coyotetex, Feb 26, 2020.

1. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Really nice video breaking down how the Rockets 5 out offense is causing problems for bigs like Gobert.

As a bonus - great clip from Ryen Russilo at the 13:30 mark talking about how all the critics are constantly wrong about all the Rockets decisions. (As Ryen is a regular Rockets hater, this is particularly gratifying to see this take from him).

Roomba, bro2044, Lawlruschang and 7 others like this.
  2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

This is what happened next game while j*zz matchup suns, i begin feeling sorry for gobert that his backcourt lose respect for him in such an awkward way.
    Mitchell might think its Gobert's inability n insists they still have a way out dealing our small ball. (But actually they got no chance in regular season)

#2 DeBeards, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Reminds me of the defenses that Yao Ming faced. You pass it inside and he gets murdered by 3 small guys. Yao had to find that long two jumper in his arsenal to make it work. That should be a lesson to Rudy Gobert, but I ain't tellin' em'. I hope he sucks (unless he becomes a Rocket somehow)

Scarface, bro2044, roslolian and 3 others like this.
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I wouldn’t want Gobert in the rockets uniform. He’s elite but he wouldn’t do nothin for us that Clint couldn’t do. Matter of fact Clint outplayed him in both their series against each other

eliefor3, DrNuegebauer and D-rock like this.
  5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Yeah, our small ball always makes me think of yao fronted, dragged, swarmed by defenders below the rim. And i even try to find one gif rendering how they sandwiched him like a piece of ham, but i could only find this brilliant one:
    [​IMG]
    Maybe only hakeem, shaq, embiid n towns can do this except yao

dje243, kevtse, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yao could have played 5 Out but could not switch everything on D.

Not many of the true big men could.

roslolian and DeBeards like this.
  7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Yeah (tho yao didn't shoot much 3s, he actually is pretty good at that, jvg just did not allow him)

Besides, his lack of athletisism, miserable wingspan (stood at 7'6", w/ 7'5"wingspan) as well as fatigue problem, made him easily being confined by opps, thus less impactful than he should be. Nevertheless yao is still a great great C and genuine HOF.
    Jokic bear a great resemblance of yao…but with even less mobility, both of them can not play switch everything for sure.

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

But I guess with Yao Thibs just focused on having him add 40 pounds of muscle so that def made hin slower. If his development was a lot like Dirk's he might have been more mobile and limber ala Pao Gasol.

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  9. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

just went through the video, a really really impressive one breaking down on how awesome our small ball is on both ends of the floor.

after watching it, one thing occurred to me the so-called 'small ball n philosophy' unexpectedly learns a lot from soccer game, which extraordinarily emphasizes on spacing and creating space while attack, besides it also emphasizes on multi-player giving pressure on ball handler in a small zone to force the handler to make mistakes n creating more offense opportunities.
    since MDA stayed in Europe (euro league) for a long long time, he definitely knows the ropes as to soccer games that is more popular than in states. the more I watch this video the more I associate it with tactics of soccer game.

D-rock likes this.
  10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

lol
    dude, you absolutely spill the beans!!!
    unfortunately, while he entering nba, what he got to face up were those old school centers who night in night out played physical n post-up; what's more inside-out game were so dominate, it is to the extend that every team searching for their Kobe & Shaq.
    rockets front-office was without exception at that time, that's why they forced yao bulk up and later landing macrady to couple up. unfortunately, his asian bone type could hardly make that bearable n sustainable as we witnessed.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Lol

Posted this a week ago

Rocket River

12. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Jockitch is the closest thing to Tim Duncan as a big with similar moves.

13. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

a white Duncan with shoot more 3s, maybe
    but Duncan got much better mobility, athleticism and explosiveness.

14. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Duncan barely got off the ground.. He used leverage on defenders.. you mean he grabbed more boards? Show me a clear instance that Duncan was more athletic?

As good as Yao was in his own way, he wasn't getting to loose balls or putbacks the way Jokic is. Yao might have been able to develop a consistent 3 but was physically restricted in movement due to his leg size and height..

#14 Sanctity, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Its just my roughly comparison between dunkan n jokic, w/o involving other Players.
    Also im not fond of arguing on this kind of things…only my personal opinions.
    its like while ppl brings up who is the GOAT: MJ,LBJ,BIG DREAM…etc. I would quite this kind of discussion.

Dunkan strength
    Jokic weakness
    https://www.nbadraft.net/players/nikola-jokic/

EDIT: i hold that dunkan is kinda player dunt love to show off his athletisism. Quite low profile n practical while on court.
    But he didn't feel shy to dunk ferociously while needed

Pls take noted who he posterized in the above video…non of them is nobody.

#15 DeBeards, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Some of those drafting and scouting reports are subjective. I think Jokic played based on his available competition in Europe. He moves plenty quick and fluid enough considering the overall increase in speed and athleticism of a completely perimeter oriented era moreso then any point in Duncan's tenure.

D-rock likes this.