1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets struggles, the players or analytics?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFan1518, Jan 21, 2016.

1. RocketsFan1518

RocketsFan1518 New Member

I've been following this forum for about a year or so and now that the Rockets are having some real struggles it leads to a question that I haven't seen posed before.

Are the struggles really the players or a stubbornness to allow analytics to run the show?

The Rockets no doubt have talented players and a deep roster, that on paper, can contend for a title. However, where do we draw the line and realize that in a strategic and tactical sense this team can't go anywhere if they rely on just getting to the line and shooting 3's. Numerous times, especially last night against the Pistons, I saw players that could just shoot a mid range jumper but instead took a few steps back to throw up a brick of a three.

Morey to me is a good GM that has formula and his way on building a team, but when you see the best teams in the league and how they're built, well I don't think analytics is driving all of the personnel decisions. It's about culture and an ability to play team ball. Spurs and Warriors are the best examples, obviously.

Pick & Rolls and movement of the ball is what made this team successful, all they do now it jack up three's and play "Harden Ball" which is iso him and let him go to work. "Harden Ball" is eerily similar to the days to Steve Francis, iso on one side and every one else stands around. We know how "well" that went.

Anyhow, just posing the question and curious to see what you all think. While I think the players need to improve chemistry and get things going, there is a sense to me that results start at the top in this case and this team needs to be built around the players and not data.