1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets.....STILL thinking playoffs??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D.R.E.A.M, Mar 5, 2000.

1. D.R.E.A.M

D.R.E.A.M Member

Maybe winning three in a row is not that big of a deal, but what IS is the fact that the Rockets have been playing very well down the strech lately, something they werent able to do for most of the season. if they can carry the same mentality and attitude to the remaining games of the season, then i think we've gotta good shot at making the playoffs...WITH Charles Barkley!

------------------
    Dream's Team!

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This is a joke, right? If Sacramento or Minnesota blows up....like literally....then the next team in the standings would move into the 8 spot and, even then, the Rockets have to go on some real tears to move up in the standings. It's one thing to be optimistic...it's another to be completely unrealistic. I have an equal or better chance of winning the state lottery. We will not make the playoffs. We will not even finish at .500.

Surf

3. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Hey Surfguy, you are one pessimistic kook. [​IMG]

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

The Rocks still have an outside chance at the playoffs.

If we can survive our next road trip with only a couple of losses we have a good shot at getting the 8th spot.

------------------
    Sir Charles is DA MAN.

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

If the Rockets went 22 - 0 for the rest of the season, they'd have a final record of 46 - 35. Not too shabby. But, it means the following teams would have to play far worse then they have so far.

JAZZ (45 - 36) must go 8 - 16 the rest of the way.
    SUNS (45 - 36) must go 8 - 15 the rest of the way.
    SPURS (45 - 36) must go 8 - 14 the rest of the way.
    SONICS (45 - 36) must go 9 - 12 the rest of the way.
    TWOLVES (45 - 36) must go 11 - 12 the rest of the way.
    KINGS (45 - 36) must go 12 - 11 the rest of the way.

Now, some of those records don't sound too far off, but remember these only apply if the Rockets don't lose another game.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited March 05, 2000).]

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

DREAMer, there's 82 games in a season, not 81. [​IMG]

7. vince

vince Member

Freak If nothing else I hate people being technical on these sites. There are 82 not 81 games. Isn't that being tooooo technical.

Come on, don't be a smart A$$!!!!!!

Point is that Rockets aren't going to make the playoffs this year. The other teams are way too good as it stands.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

vince, believe me, I'm the same way, but considering the number of years that the playoff seedings come down to the last game of the season, don't you think that's kind of a big deal?

9. vince

vince Member

Freak ignore that last message, I didn't see you happy guy behind it. But come on lighten up the technicality. Didn't mean to come on too harsh.

10. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

TheFreak,

I'm suprised you of all people didn't know that in years that are 'leap years' the NBA only plays an 81 game schedule

-----------------------------

Okay, just kidding. The first thing I did when I read your reply was say "Doh!". The second thing I did was laugh at my mistake.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

11. D.R.E.A.M

D.R.E.A.M Member

maybe to most of you thinking playoffs is wishful thinking but when you look back at the championship years and remember all the very "unexpected" things which happend for the Rockets, you'll know why i still have hope. what's so special about the Rockets is that they always come back from behind and surprise all the non-belivers in them. i belive the Rockets DO have what it takes to make the playoffs this season although they'll need some help from the other teams. but never be pessimistic about it, it's still possible!

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You may think they have what it takes to make the playoffs but you said yourself only when their clicking. Noone denies that the talent isn't there. What isn't there is the team chemistry, the DEFENSE, and the experience...among other things! Our championship teams had DEFENSIVE intensity and consistency. Our current team worries about OFFENSE before DEFENSE. No way they will make the playoffs without defense. How many times do we have to continue to watch the opponents take wide open jump shots? The only defense I see in those situations is praying that they will miss.

What does all this add up to? A team that wins 3, loses 3, wins 3, loses 3, etc. . A team that is on one night and off the next. A team that must outscore their opponent to win. Sure, we have a bright future but it's not going to happen overnight. Even if we did make the playoffs, it would just be an early exit. I would rather wait until our guys have had a season or two under their belts, learn how to play D, and learn from their mistakes. And, if we can get someone out of the lottery, a free agent, or off-season move to help us become a better team, then so much the better. Most of the key players we need are on our team. We may be missing a player or two. But the rest of our team should be set.

If you call looking down the road pessimism, then I'll take my pessimism over your short-sighted optimism any day of the week.

Surf

"How will you live without freedom...err...I mean...DEFENSE?" BraveRocket

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS....

THANK YOU, DRIVE THRU.

14. Htown2002

Htown2002 Member

I'm with SurfGuy on this one.

It is far more beneficial to the Rockets future if they don't make the playoffs. Considering the number of first round picks they have coming over the next few years, the fact that they could have a fairly decent pick this year and the fact that this is a young team that needs more time to grow, it is to their benefit that they sit this one out. Consider also that the Nuggets and Mavericks are also improved, so not only do the Rockets have to concern themselves with Sacramento and Minny, but they'd also have to hope that neither the Nuggets or Mavericks suddenly get hot as well.

In any case, I give the team the benefit of the doubt and assume that next year is a better year for raising expectations.