1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should target Christian Wood

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Highlyrated, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

And when I awoke I was alone
    This bird had flown
    So I lit a fire
    Isn't it good Norwegian (Christian) Wood?

If we get this future star, I'd be shocked. Morey tried, got close and then Cleveland ****ed us by taking on Drummond.

Deckard, Highlyrated and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If only Christian Wood was good at basketball. :oops:

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

He is. But there are limited options for teams with cap space and limited $9M MLE’s available. I have no idea what he gets in today’s market but it would have to be $6M a year if he wanted to hand pick his next team.

Rudyc281 and treyk3 like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It's going to be $15 million + for 4 + years. He has capital P potential and super versatility. He's young enough to have upside and he's successful enough to have a track record. Potential superstar at minimum very good role player.

Giannis just won MVP and most the narrative was around his PER. 31.94. All time high.

Christian Wood posted a PER in the G-League (28 Games) of 31.3. That's #1 all time in the G-League

He was 23.2 PER last season in the big leagues. That's good for 20th in the NBA

http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

only 4 guys ahead of him were also on teams bad enough to not make the bubble. It's usually held by guys on winning teams because it's a statistical gold mine. Teams that search for guys with a high PER are teams that are typically well ran and value analytics.

He just turned 24 and last year was the first year he stayed in the big leagues for a whole season. 13 points-6 rebounds in 20 MPG isn't shabby. It would translate to 22-11 Per 36.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/woodch01.html

Christian Wood post trade deadline was probably the best big in the league for a stretch. He may even get maxed based on this potential.

#25 treyk3, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. realonemo

realonemo Member

Wood is perfect for us and if I'm not mistaken we tried to acquire him in the trade deadline. We have to get younger. I would like us to find a way to get Kelley Oubre. Only 24 !

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Wow. You may be right, I’m not gonna lie and pretend I’ve been following him too closely. Are you keeping in mind that the salary cap will probably take a step back as will most of the teams’ finances? As long as front offices are smart they can probably re-sign most of their own free agents at a price lower than predicted last year.

There are only like 7 teams with cap space, and a few of them have their own free agents they’ll need to spend on, and at least one of them will be throwing money at Van Vleet. $15M seems kinda steep for a guy with less than a season of solid play. Not saying you won’t be right. Again I have no clue, but I would have assumed he’d fetch like $11-12M on a shorter contract at best.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

$15 million from the Pistons or $15 + million in a SNT. If it's less than that he's taking a one year prove it deal. If he were available for $9 Million per season for 4 years, Morey would bring out the Bosh Caravan to his doorstep at midnight.

I agree Van Vleet is a big question mark and cap space is limited.

1. Atlanta Hawks: $43.2 million

2. New York Knicks: $41.5 million

3. Detroit Pistons: $28.2 million

4. Charlotte Hornets: $22.5 million

5. Miami Heat: $20.9 million

6. Phoenix Suns: $18.9 million

Hawks have Capela and Collins. Knicks have Mitch Robinson and 100 other bigs. Pistons are the incumbent. Hornets... Maybe. Heat, no way, unless Riley just wants to stick it to us. I don't see how they have salary post Iggy extension but whatever. Suns no way with Ayton.

So that probably leaves us and Boston. Usually in a SNT the player chooses. Boston is enticing for sure so yea, it's very unlikely that Eric Gordon and a FRP gets us Wood.

So it's basically us or another team with a SNT or the Pistons with incumbency or MJ wanting Wood. Jerami Grant may be more realistic as a guy taking the MLE

saleem, fattz, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

They want FVV apparently and need to make Cap Space.

Oubre here. Gordon to Atlanta with their cap space. Our First rounder to Phoenix or maybe even a second rounder since we are helping them make space.

Russ/Harden/ Oubre/ RoCo / Jerami Grant is my absolute dream lineup next year. Fast and furious.

Probably more realistic than many other of my ideas. I don't think we have to attach a pick to dump Eric but I don't think we will get anything back. He's a great running mate next to Trae Young.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. realonemo

realonemo Member

Buddy Hield is another guy I wouldn't mind.

saleem likes this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'm not sure i want him here with the way we are built. If we decide to rebuild, I'd love to take him as a flier but he hasn't proven he can play defense at an above average level. This next season, no one gets brought in who isn't a + defender.

Russ/James/Eric/PJ/RoCo/House those are the only guys who are guaranteed contracts. All are plus defenders and honestly Eric, PJ and RoCo are top tier defenders, whether they get the respect they deserve or not. We look at box scores and see Eric struggling with his shot. He's out there every game checking the toughest permitter guys while PJ takes the big men. RoCo plays free safety as well as almost anyone. They all fit into the philosophy defensively sadly Eric doesn't fit in with the starters so the next coach needs to turn him back into a sixth man or it's time to move on.

13. realonemo

realonemo Member

Honestly, I wouldn't mind just running it back with a center and an innovative coach.

jimmyv281 likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I wouldn’t mind him either, especially if we manage to get rid of Eric Gordon in a separate deal

#34 Reeko, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    saleem likes this.
  15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

They'd be thrilled to do a straight up swap.

He's more overpaid than Eric and is a malcontent.

I think this is the most likely scenario.

Some FA picks ups and nothing more. Tinker at the deadline depending on how the team is doing.

16. Nook

Nook Member

The beat writer for the Pistons was on the radio in Chicago and said that the Pistons turned down #1 picks from two teams at the deadline last year (Houston was one) but obviously held onto him. He said everyone in Detroit assumes the Pistons held onto him with the intention of signing him long term but surprisingly the Pistons haven’t ruled out a S&T for him.

Deuce, saleem, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Christian Wood or Jerami Grant in SnT. Per Bima, SnT is very unlikely for Tilly owned team.

OR

Aaron Gordon or Kelly Oubre straight trade package for EGo/House.

Rudyc281 and HP3 like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

There are teams that would gladly give him their full MLE for the full length. I read the “6-7 million” number as well and I think that is too low. I think that D’Anthony Melton gets 6-7 over multiple years (if not more).

If TF will spend the full MLE, there will be players that can help that will be available.... JaMychal Green, Paul Millsap, Tristan Thompson, Jeff Teague, Marcus Morris, D’Anthony Melton, Jae Crowder, Kelly Olynek, Etwaun Moore, Derrick Favors, Nerlens Noel, Aaron Baynes, Serge Ibaka.

Some of the names above will get contracts for more than the MLE, some will fight to get the MLE from teams other than the Rockets; but a lot of them will be available.

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

If I had to guess, only Noel, Melton, Teague, Moore would be available for our MLE. Teague is the only one that I would slightly be pleased about.

Wouldn’t we also have to use some or all of our MLE if we wanted to re-sign Jeff Green?

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

did you miss last season where he was legitimately one of the best bigs in the league ?

D-rock likes this.