1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Corey Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Progs

Progs Member

That boy Maori is persistent.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

...except on a certain fateful night in the 2013-14 season when he couldn't miss, thanks to the defense of James "I'm-tired-I-hit-Treasures-AND-Da Colorado-last-night" Harden and Chandler "defense?-PSHAW!-gonna-boost-PPG-an'get-PAID" Parsons.

I mean, what?, we're gonna have Ariza - Papa - Brewer if this does go through? Who's February 19th trade bait?

3. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would rather have Chandler Wilson.

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Brewer another hardcore defender. This team is changing its face dramatically.

From an offensively to defensively minded team.

5. daytripper

daytripper Member

Of course CW is the better all around player. It will probably cost more to get him though.

6. showa13

showa13 Member

Brewer would be perfect off the bench. Wilson Chandler would be better, yes, but Brewer prob can be had for much less

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Another solid veteran that helps on the defensive end and fastbreaks. I'll take him all day.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOL @ Chandler Wilson

9. KlutchQT

Brewer is like 3rd or 4th in the league in steals this year, though. Plenty of fastbreak opportunities.

10. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yes, and a perfect fit for our style of defense.

I'd rather have a legit backup PF, (like Bass) in case Jones does not ever come back -- but, failing that, Brewer is probably the best option out there that we don't have to give up a whole lot to get and which also fits into the trade exception.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets interest in Brewer is practically nil. Sorry. I did not mean to step in front of you all spinning out of control. Wait, maybe I did.

12. craguin

craguin Member

Brewer is the league leader in steals at 2.3/game.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which makes it even more odd that no metric really paints him as a good defender. It could be just an example of when metrics fail, or it could be that he's a one trick pony on defense. For example, his opponent's FG%'s are right about their season %'s against him, that suggests he's not really shutting people down.

Can someone make that case for me because I'd be interested in hearing it.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Brewer is like the typical NBA journeyman. There is nothing good about him and nothing bad about him. He is the perfect average NBA player. He does nothing well that matters and nothing badly. I just cannot get excited about him. Morey probably feels the same. Mediocre is not a target of trades.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

brewer could probably turn out 2nd unit into an all the time fast break unit on his own

16. KlutchQT

Wow lol. He was 4th not even a week ago, but I see he had SIXTEEN steals last week alone -- I imagine that would do it. :eek: I was prompted to look it up b/c I have him in fantasy and was amazed at how many he was racking up. Sheesh.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

No one way players. Our role players need to be able to defend AND hit the open shot. That's the recipe.

18. basketballholic

There are no good published metrics for measuring what positive impact an individual player makes on a defense. Team defensive scheme is what most published metrics measure.
    Corey Brewer is a stellar defender playing on a lottery team surrounded by rookies and youngsters who are struggling to learn to play individual defense not to mention trying to master a team defensive scheme. There's no way any metric is going to show him as a plus defender. That's why you have to watch the games and watch Brewer play instead of just looking at digits on a screen.

19. oakdogg

I cannot understand why you repeatedly champion the idea that we need a stretch 4 and then turn around and push for one of the worst shooters at the guard spot? Makes no sense.

20. oakdogg

....and I actually like the stretch 4 & most of your PF ideas. But Corey Brewer? That's where I draw the line....