1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets hoping to keep Donatas Motiejunas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 23, 2016.

1. hakeemthagreat

Not good enough to be going out your way to make a video for, however I'm not the GM so who cares. We'll all be talking about this next year

2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

2nd best player on the team before his injury. They must be confident his back will hold up. Still I would say, get them paychecks Dmo. You deserve it.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Interesting to see them go this route as opposed to just raising more questions about his back to depress his value like they did with Landry.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

My guess is they have word or reason to believe that he wants to be elsewhere, and perhaps previously they weren't too concerned with losing him.

Enter D'antoni, who probably likes his game and wants to keep him.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Clutch with the cleverly disguised - nobody asked me to film **** for Dwight or y'alls boy T-Jones - thread.

They need to take the league average % of games played (health). If DMo hits that mark, Detroit sends us the 1st round pick we deserve.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

My guess is DMo is planning to accept the QO. It's makes a lot of sense for him. He doubles his salary, gets a season to restore his value around the league and then doesn't have to worry about being restricted next year.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he did want out of here. He worked his tail off, and the organization gave up on him when he was down. That may not be how Morey sees it, but that doesn't matter. Some guys take things personal, and some of them have every right to.

I did not like the DMo trade when it was announced. We would've been lucky if the player we drafted showed the same flashes as DMo has, so why hit the reset button?

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

With Plowman handing him the wildfire grenades. :grin:

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I don't think DMo accepts the QO but that would be awesome if he does.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

I"ll be SHOCKED if DMo accepts the QO. With all the money flying around the league he would be leaving money on the table.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Him taking his QO isn't that good for us. For one year he won't be elligible for trade (he has to give his consent which he never would unless he doesn't have a brain). And then he would leave for nothing. Plus it creates some friction in the lockeroom and we will make the news about our dysfunction again. (that has happened with all the previous handful players who took their QO).

I don't understand what the Rockets are thinking about trying to woo their own RFA. Teams usually don't care at all even if the relationship is not in the greatest of terms, the RFA has no choice if his team wants to match. Even for much better RFA.
    For example the relationship that Chicago had last year with RFA Butler was not that good. They still didn't make promo video. This year the Wizards aren't in the best of terms with Beal. No promo videos. Not to mention the relationship between Bledsoe and the Suns.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is it a tactic to scare off potential offers?

12. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Exactly my thinking. Basically, he sees a 7 footer who can post, PnP, and has decent range and that fits with his system.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Actually I'm not sure if this is intentional but we might be seeing a slight change in philosophy with Morey and FO, before they would add numbnuts left and right just because of the P-word, but now all of their signings look like high EQ guys. Especially our two draftees, they are hard-working prospects with heart, Chinanu is basically the center version of Harrel and basically seems to be Dorsey with a brain and some passing skills while Zhou is also a hard worker from China. I think its a good shift, we need these types of players since they influence others positively.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DD knows that DMo is a unique NBA player who gives the Rockets an advantage in an area that most teams struggle to play, as such DD values DMo more than the average fan who doesn't have the depth of knowledge that DD has.....and why is DD talking in 3rd person?

DD - knows.....

If you don't agree - you are one of those uninformed fans....

:)

Or you have a different opinion -- whatever...lol

DD

16. malakas

malakas Member

DD has lost it. :(

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This could be related to overall FA plans and what happened with Parsons.

Make him feel really good, let him know we want him, and will sign him, but to PLEASE wait before signing a competing offer so the team can use its existing cap space to go after other FAs first, then use his rights to sign him.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I would be shocked if DMO takes the QO, why? Because there's lots of money this year for a meh FA pool (outside of KD, Horford and Batum who's next?), on the other hand there's gonna be less money next year (since all the teams spent their cap this year) and LOTS of high class FAs next year. Also with his injuries DMo is kinda' playing with fire, he can end up injuring his back again next year and just tank his stock again.

Maybe the promo videos are Rox' way of showing they care about DMo. Not sure why people hate them you're not the one expending the effort LMAO people here are just too negative and toxic, FO is basically doing extra effort for free and people still complain smh. The way people b**** on CF Morey can get LBJ, Durant and KaT on the same team and I expect some posters to still b**** and moan about how we're not using the draft.

I don't see any downside to this and see a lot of upside, maybe if DMo ends up feeling loved he will be like Beverly and sign a deal immediately at a reasonable price instead of waiting till the deadline to sign a deal to ensure he gets the highest possible amount. This will allow the Rox to zero in on their target FA immediately since they know their cap amount already.

If healthy, DMO is totally worth the max, he's like Okafor but with some defense and rebounding instead of just offense. With his injury risk I hope he settles at the 10M range, if he does and he remains healthy he'll be totally worth canceling the Detroit deal for.

19. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Ummmm. What?

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He stepped up when the injury bug hit...HELPED carry that team.(tip of the iceberg) DMo was on his way...then he went down.

If that back is right, we're going to end up with a sweetheart deal.