1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fire Jeff Bzdelik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, May 18, 2019.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People forget this.

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Oh man. Now we are about to play ISO let just shoot contested 3s basketball except with ZERO defense.

Seems like a very solid plan to beat GSW or The Bucks.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

His contract was up, he was non committal and last year he quit right before the season putting us in a bad spot. No way they could count on him

RyanB, lurgar, Vivi and 6 others like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Your last sentence is what Morey thinks. Yes he's a joke

bmelo likes this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

KLove to Houston confirmed........

RyanB likes this.
  6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I agree with the cp3 take. I could of feel like with all the injures n James going nova he never got a chance to get in a groove since we couldn't Sacrifice games to get him mode involved. I think a full season with no injuries would do him good

7. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I am curious if the not paying had to do with trying to avoid the repeater tax? If Tilly is a tightwad (and considering most of his eateries use low quality product one has to think he is) then I can see him taking a FIRM stance on NO repeater tax. But, as I understand it you pay repeater if you pay the luxury tax 3 times in a 4 year span. So. If we paid last year. Didn’t this year, but then pay for the next two years won’t we be in repeater during CP3’s LAST season which most assuredly will see us in luxury tax territory. If my understanding and math is right we could very possibly be in for another cost cutting nickel and dime leave danuel house (just an example. Not saying he moved the needle) down too long season next year or the year after to make sure we stay out of repeater. I could see Tillman willing to go over the luxury tax threshold in order to take a shot. BUT, I think he flat out won’t pay repeater. Can’t really blame him. Why pay repeater if the talent doesn’t give you a realistic shot.

Tilly flapped his lips quite a bit after this loss. Is he sincere? Orrr is he just a 10 pound chihuahua behind a fence making a lot of noise who will tuck tail and run at the first sign of a big dog coming in the gate? Guess the next couple of years will tell.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

reminds of this cartoon from way back...

[​IMG]

Bzdelik never really fit in - he demanded defensive effort... smh...

RocketRed84 likes this.
  9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Get rid of MDA for WHO? Nobody out there is better

Remlap and Codman like this.
  10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

1. I didn't say 15 million, but a decent 2 year deal. I understand why Ariza took the money, especially without assurances of being resigned.

2. Harden's turnovers are frustrating, but with his usage rate, it makes sense.

3. I think you misunderstood my respect for MDA and I think some of your claims are unfounded. I never said that MDA doesn't want to upset Harden. I wrote that MDA trusts Harden to make good decisions. Sometimes, James makes costly errors, just like LBJ, Paul George, Giannis, etc. Also, MDA does hold players accountable. Look at what happened with House for instance. He kept messing up in crucial times, so MDA went with a combination of players that he felt he could trust.

4. I disagree that our style of play cannot (you said NEVER) beat the Warriors. Last year, if you recall, we just about did it. And, we're the only team who has come close to taking down a team of fearful competitors who group together as allstars in order to win (A Dream Team sort of thing). The Rockets have one of most winning records over the last 6+ years, with playoff appearances and good runs. It's not a fluke that James Harden has fueled the Rockets into a contender categorization, regardless of ISO-ball or more movement.

5. Harden is not a "ball stopper." That's Carmelo. Check James' assists over the years. Creating for your teammates is the opposite of being a ball stopper. I don't know what you're getting at.

6. McHale didn't "bench" Harden for his play. He made one of the best decisions of his career and allowed the hot hand in JOSH JSMOOVE SMITH, Corey Brewer, Jet, etc to keep their run going. Inserting James may have stopped the cohesiveness, but it wasn't because James was "benched." Please look that up.

7. James Harden is a top 5 player in the NBA. Period. To me, this year, from his streak alone, he was MVP for bringing the Rockets back into the higher ranks before the playoffs. There is no one else in the NBA who gives you a better chance to win than James Harden. No One. And, if you thought of trading him, there is absolutely no player or combination of players who would give you the results. James has made Houston a powerhouse, even without championships. His Iso-play is smart and by design because it's usually unstoppable. Golden State is the outlier because of the pansy All-Star factor.

8. The Rockets can win it all in this offense, but they need one more "Killer" to put it all together. If Morey gets the green light, I expect this to be the ssummer they finally bring in the right personnel.

11. Rox11

Rox11 Member

It’s prob all a show. He wanted to retire but they wanted the world to think they are firing someone to look like they won’t accept failure...

cheke64 likes this.
  12. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I fully 100% believe Jeff Bzdelik pulled a power move. Similar to last year with Melo.

Last year Jeff drew a proverbial line in the sand and said: 'choose me or Melo', and the org chose Melo and our sh/t defense early in the season cost us important seeding that leaves us out of the playoffs today.

I think Jeff noticed something fundamentally wrong with the system this year, it could be MDA or something else. Either way he demanded a fundamental change in the organization that the organization disagreed with and so Jeff is out again.

Even though I don't know what it was about, I'm actually on Jeff's side. So far from everything I've seen and heard him say I agree with while I continually shake my head, face palm, and disagree with things I hear others in the organization say.

bmelo likes this.
  13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It's called trades.... if a window closes, you break one open. Then you enter the house and step on their throats and then cut their throats.

juanm34 and smp like this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Haha. Manufacturing a story to create heroes and villains.

Coach Bzdelik quit on the Rockets on the even of a season with them having no means by which to replace him. They paid him a ton of money to come back and he wasn't willing to commit to another year. I think he's proven to be a great coach, but if he isn't willing to commit to multiple years at this point they need to move on. No bad guys.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Usually TF doesn’t let someone go unless he has a replacement already lined up. I’ll ask around but I suspect it will be some of the same names we have heard in the past.

FWIW The Rockets decision to switch so much in game 1 and 2 against GS was a mistake IMO. We were switching 30 feet from the basket. I had one college coach text me: “What the hell are they doing”, and someone else that knows a lot about basketball tell me it was a complete waste of energy.

Deuce, jboslett, whiskeyred and 2 others like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

No bad guys.

Having said that, this wasn’t all because Jeff wouldn’t commit long term.

whiskeyred and HP3 like this.
  17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

For what MDA brings to the table in our circumstance - he's overrated....

Lets be honest... we dont run his offense... we run a slow plodding style - cause thats how James like to run it... 3s and layups - cause thats how Morey wants it... Constant isos and attempts to draw fouls - bc those have the highest efficiency...
    what is MDA bringing to the table - other than being a cheerleader who gives everybody the green light to chuck in pursuit of 50+ attempts a game?

His defensive prowess in non existent.... he's all about putting guys on the floor that can propel his offensive numbers so he can be viewed as some offensive guru...

The guy had a good run with Phoenix - having Nash running the show in his 7 second offense was a great marriage...
    NYK was a failure...
    LAL was a failure....
    and so far he's basically given us the same post season results as McHale did - and McHale sucked...

not to mention the dude is too stubborn about who he is 'comfortable' playing...

he gets outcoached by the likes of Pops and Kerr bc of his lack of in game adjustments - "we're just gonna play our game..."

Idk who we should replace him with - I just know MDA aint the answer to beating the Warriors...

He's a Marty Schottenheimer... great regular season results - and post season futility due to his stubborn ways..

jboslett, Little Bit, bmelo and 5 others like this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

I just don't understand what is going on anymore.
    The roof of the house is leaking rainwater but we are busy changing the colour of the curtains.

At least now it is certain that MDA won't be fired.

mikol13 and Realjad like this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

They better have a freaking plan for defense because MDA is a terrible defensive coach. Damn

whiskeyred likes this.
  20. Asian Sensation

2) Perhaps MDA should think about he uses Harden.

3) There’s a big difference between benching House and having the balls to bench Harden.

4) Almost did but didn’t. Harden and this team are built for the regular season. I don’t want to admit it or like doing so but it’s been proven year in and year out for the last 7 years.

5) James Harden has the worst assist to turnover ratio by any player that qualifies in the regular season and playoffs by a long shot. In the series against the Warriors he had 33 assists to 23 turnovers. That’s not bad. That’s freaking terrible.

6) Harden was benched clear as day and night. No if and’s or but’s about this one IMO. Harden was sent to the bench and rightfully so. He was 5-20, 2 rebs, 3 assists and -20. Benched and for good reason not because Corey Brewer and Jet became Splash brothers.