1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Broadcasters under attack

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I like how understated clydes insults are lol.

“He is a shell of his former self”

bongman and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  2. Jimmy Chitwood

"under attack" =/= a few people saying mean things

When the Belgians were being invaded by hundreds of thousands of German troops at the beginning of WWI, THAT was being under attack.

This is not.

heypartner, The Hunted and Sajan like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You don't like ex Rocket David Wesley and ex Texans preseason broadcaster Joel Meyers?

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I will say, apart from being homers(understandably), Dallas has a very good pBp guy in Followill. Imo he's one of the best.
    I have nothing nice to say about Utah.

Yung-T and joeson332 like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

organized mass communication spreaders creating a treacherous secret plot

Sajan and joeson332 like this.
  6. junk151

junk151 Member

I might be in the minority here but what's the problem with the local team broadcasters being biased? Theyre supposed to be.

7. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Yeah, the Rockets guys are usually very complimentary toward opponents, which IS NOT the case with most home announce crews in my experience. Most of the time when I hear another team's crew, they're just nonstop b****ing about the refs (which our guys do to some extent, certainly) and dismissing everything the other team does as luck or something.

As for Ackerman being so much better, I still prefer Bill actually. I know Bill's old and he fumbles here and there, but Ackerman gets switched on so easily that he gets a bit loud and shrill. Bill mostly stays easygoing and only starts blowing up when it really matters, which is an important quality for an announcer to have IMO.

Killatron 2000 and swordghost like this.
  8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I can see how annoying these guys could sound to other fans. Ackerman was saying some weird stuff after Ariza got into it with another player recently. Kept repeating that he's one you don't want to mess with.. was pretty lame and awkward.

heypartner and hakeem94 like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ahahaha to me it looked like ackerman got beaten by ariza in the past or was a witness of ariza killing someone over a trifle matter

Killatron 2000, sammy and BigMaloe like this.
  10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Jen did it two games in a row... the same drawn out repeating himself constantly.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I may be the only one who misses Van Chancellor doing games lol

Bill isnt that great but he isnt the worst. What I dislike the most about Bill is instead of saying First round draft pick he keeps saying #1 draft choice.

I do like how Bull will bring up stuff on twitter during the games though

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

i don't like any of them except for Worrell and Murphy. Bull, Ackerman, and Drexler suck.

13. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Bill Worrell can do whatever the hell he wants.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I usually watch the other teams broadcast on LP.
    That way I get to hear almost every team's announcers, and also get the Rockets because a good 10% of the time there is only that feed available (eg. last night) or I just go with them.
    Plus I get national guys.

The only solid conclusion I can make is, the Rockets guys are DEFINITELY not the best, and probably below average... but that's EXTREMELY subjective, and means absolutely nothing because almost ALL of these broadcasting crews have the same problems. I do think they are definitely biased (more so than average) and Clyde is clearly wtf out there, and Bill has gotten worse as he's gotten older. And most fans of the NBA probably see that, too, so this shouldn't be surprising.

There are a few that crews I do definitely like ... BUT ... not enough to remember which teams those are from, so they can't be that good. I just know that generally they are the neutral guys who call the game as it is. But their own fans might not like them as much. And also the guys I like probably won't foot much to any lists you'd find out there searching the internet.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I can't believe a random person on Twitter expressed an opinion which is contrary to my own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heypartner and The Hunted like this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Clyde is terrible. He even makes the obvious unbearable to listen to.
    The worst is when they have him narrate a highlight reel.

Ariza. to the basket. nice.
    here he is again. throwing it down. guys that is not a replay. those are separately plays.
    takes a 3. makes it. wow he is doing it all today.

17. mightybosstone

Worrell's voice is as much ingrained in the Rockets for me as Milo Hamilton's was for the Astros. But at some point, announcers need to realize that they've passed their primes and bow out gracefully. I think we're at that point with Bill. After this season, I'd prefer to see him just stop by occasionally for games the way Milo did at the end of his career. Craig and Bull are ready to do this thing full-time and are just much better at it right now than Bill.

Also, Clyde needs to get a different gig. Let him be a studio analyst with Calvin or something, but the guy is truly atrocious as a color analyst. He makes Reggie Miller seem good at his job.

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I can deal with Bull's corniness. I can handle Bill's senility. I can handle Ackerman's childish excitement.

I cannot deal with Clyde Drexler's stupidity any longer. He just says random things. Like he has a list of phrases and buzzwords and he just shakes up the box and pulls out a card. If he said things like "it's as easy as clubbing baby seals" more often, it would be worth it.

Sajan likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think Bill has earned the right to do this until he can't. Is Ackerman better? Yes. But Bill was great for so long that I have no problem hearing his voice during the game.

Let the legend have his last go 'round and show some respect. He'll be gone for good soon enough and you'll all be missing those lame food stories and haunting eyes.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

THROW IT DOWN BIG FELLA

Daddy Long Legs likes this.