1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisiting the Thomas Robinson Trade - Robinson or Papanikolaou?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ottomaton, Oct 10, 2014.

?

I'll take...

1. Kostas Papanikolaou

67.8%
  2. Thomas Robinson

4.8%
  3. Patrick Patterson, dammit! (Carl Herrera option)

27.3%
  1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kneejerk Preseason Thread -

Just thinking about how, even though it was supposed to be a straight salary dump and at the time, there was supposed to be a "very limited" trade market for Robinson, it looks like Morey really got over to me.

Ignoring Marko Todorović (who I understand is probably irrelevant) and the two second round picks, and ignoring the fact that it was required to sign Dwight - would you rather have Robinson or Papanikolaou right now? If the Blazers offered a 1-to-1 swap, would you keep Big Papa, or trade him for Robinson?

Obviously, Robinson plays a position of need, so there's that, but it looks like he's still pretty much buried on the Portland bench (in preaseason, no less), though granted, Portland has a lot of depth at PF/C.

Also, it's a big salary for Papa, but Robinson isn't making spare change, either.

Finally, of course, this is a knee-jerk-two-preseason-games-in thread, so things can change, but now that you've gotten a taste, what do you think?

1 person likes this.
  2. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

It isn't feasible to ignore the necessity of dumping Robinson to sign DH...but since you asked, I'd take Papanikolaou straight up right now based on what I've seen thus far.

Very high basketball IQ.....very good at the little things that make a team.

3. jk103

jk103 Member

Papa's contract is unguaranteed next season so it's not even close, I'd take Papa every time. Even if he never plays a game his contract has a ton of value.

4. NotChandlerParsons

It's only his third year but man Robinson is really bad for someone who was so heavily touted as a safe NBA ready draft pick. I'll take my chances with Pap.

5. bongman

bongman Member

To me Kostas doesn't have the look of a rookie and seems to have quickly picked up what the coaches wants him to do. Besides all the skills that he has shown, what I love about most is his attitude and it is it's all about the team. I never got that from TRob.

6. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I'd take Papa too. His Euro stats (I know…I know) combined with the poise and Defense he's shown in two pre-season games ( I know..I know) make for a really promising player. I think there are a lot of Parsons rookie comparisons to be made, and in fact, Papa might be slightly more polished in comparison due to his experience in professional (Euro) leagues (again…I know!).

I would be surprised if he became the 6th or 7th man, averaging 11 pts, 6.5 rebounds per contest. If the dude can knock down the 3 at a decent clip, he's a hustle player, really good defender, and penetrate the lane. Pleasantly surprised here…yet its early…...

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The trade was actually Robinson for Paps, Todorovic and two future 2nd rounders.

Robinson is a bust. As much as I loved Patterson ... (I was actually the bigger fan than Carl Herrera (and he knows it)) ... PPatt for those four assets probably doesn't happen, nor would Jones or DMo for those four. So, Morey used PPatt to sucker Portland into taking Robinson after we got to see him live and wasn't impressed.

That said, I still keep PPatt to spar against TJones/DMo. We made a mistake leaving no "veterans" at PF to help with the newbies. (btw: LOLs at PPatt as Vet, he's 24 yrs old. Same age as DMo)

#7 heypartner, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Robinson still can't shoot the three. And we need a back up SF....so, Papa.

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Also Papa blocks shots like a mother! Or at least like a really really good Greek player.

10. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Papa already looks like he understands the NBA. High IQ, nice pass, 3 point shooter, and a good slasher.

11. alethios

alethios Member

At this point, I'd take Tarik Black over Robinson. Definitely better contract.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Easy call, Papa >> TRob

I'm glad we finally got something over the Blazers heads for that Batum trade

13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

PatPat>Paps=TRob

I'm sorry, I am always going to dislike giving up a guy that had what we needed at the 4, especially now.

PatPat had the jumper. The jumper we haven't had since a guy named Luis Scola was kicked out of here.

Unless MoTaylor can be his 24 year old, isolation/scorer, we've missed a pick and pop shooter since PatPat. Same can be said for good ol' Carl Landry, who I still consider incredibly underrated.

My favorite pick and pop player in the league is David West. IMO, he is by far the most clutch, dangerous shooter at the 4.

Check out his game-winners over the years and he is up there with some of the guys you wouldn't expect.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^
    I would absolutely love David West. Considering the circumstances, I'm inclined to believe that he can be had for the right price.

Forget about a star PG, if we go to war with Bev/Harden/Ariza/West/Howard, WCF at least.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously KPap. He actually has some potential and isn't a bust.

16. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

This is exactly right. Ppat also = good fundamental defence. He would represent a large upgrade over t-jones right now.

17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

we dont need another question mark power forward. i'd rather go with the ones we have and see who secures the starting spot.
    kostas is perfect. plenty of experience overseas makesu p for his lack of nba experience. 3/d player, good size. a bit pricey but not a big deal. cano nly get bette

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd prefer Patterson over all of them.

19. ling ling

ling ling Member

PPAT=noDH

20. photojoe

photojoe Member

So we are supposed to ignore the draft picks and ignore the fact that we needed to do that to get Howard? The main reason why we made the trade in the first place?

We don't know enough about Papa yet. And that trade was obviously very far from a 1 for 1 trade.

But even if it was 1 for 1, it would probably still be a good deal.