1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(RealGM) Rockets Mid-Offseason Report

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 15, 2005.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

http://rockets.realgm.com/articles/68/20050815/mid-offseason_report/

When July 1st came rolling around, a frenzy had begun. Even though the Rockets were over the salary cap, they had a plan in mind and were set to accomplish a goal.

First on the list was bring in a young PF. Atop their list was former Grizzlies forward Stromile Swift. Swift had spent his previous five years in Memphis and Vancouver and was looking for a big payday.

After recruiting by New Jersey, Seattle, and New York, Houston decided to step it up a notch. Rockets forward Tracy McGrady and Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson each met with Swift personally in hopes of bringing him to Houston.

Well it worked.

On July 19, Swift agreed to sign with the Rockets for their Mid-Level Exception. Once the moratorium was lifted, it became official.

“It was an easy decision for me,” Swift said when asked about his choice of Houston as a destination. “To be apart of this organization, I’m excited. I’m really happy and my family’s happy.”

The second overall pick of the 2000 NBA Draft by the then-Vancouver Grizzlies, Swift has mostly been a bench player throughout his professional career, starting only seventy out of a total of 352 games. However, it was his energy, youth, and athleticism that made the Rockets pursue the 6’9”, 230-pound power forward.

Next on the agenda was to resign keys free agents from last season. First to sign was forward Ryan Bowen. Bowen, a 6’9” forward from Iowa, had spent his entire career in Denver before signing with Houston prior to last season.

"It’s great to have Ryan back with the Rockets," said Carroll Dawson. "Ryan is one of those high-energy players that all coaches like to have on their roster."

Following his tracks was Jon Barry. The 6’5” guard had originally planned to retire after the 2004-2005 season. But this was before he was traded to Houston.

"It's nice to be signed this early," Barry said. "If you would've asked me if I was retiring when I was in Atlanta last year, I was retiring. But when I came here, I was rejuvenated by this group of guys, by Coach Van Gundy, and I had one of the most fulfilling years I've ever had, playing-wise."

Barry, who’s spent time in Milwaukee, Golden State, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Detroit, and Denver, is known for his outstanding passing and shooting skills. He’s one of the smartest players in the league and plays with energy and desire.

Center Dikembe Mutombo has not officially signed yet, but has agreed to a two-year contract which he’s expected to sign by the end of this week.

Mutombo, 39, received offers from several teams, including the Dallas Mavericks, but said he decided he wanted to be in Houston to complete his career and his work on building a hospital in the Congo.

Looking ahead, there are 2 more objectives to complete Houston’s offseason. The first to be addressed is who to waive, if anyone, using the league’s amnesty clause. With Houston’s payroll expected to be near $67 million with the signings of Bowen, Mutombo, Barry and Swift, the Rockets must decide who to waive to save on luxury tax.

Options include forward Clarence Weatherspoon, guards Moochie Norris and Charlie Ward, and big men Juwan Howard and Vin Baker. Waiving Weatherspoon would save the most, since he is guaranteed $6.35 million this season.

Lastly, when/if the Rockets waive a player, expect them to continue pursuing a veteran guard. Players the Rockets have targeted include journeyman Nick Van Exel and veteran Gary Payton. The Rockets became wary of Van Exel’s knee, so expect them to look into Payton as their number one option.

Darkhorses to join the team could include Dan Dickau, former Blue Devil Jason “Jay” Williams, and Houston native Damon Jones.

No matter what happens between now and the beginning of training camp, the Rockets offseason can still be considered a success. Adding a key piece in Swift and bringing back Bowen, Barry, and Mutombo could be enough to put the Rockets up to the next level. Expect a battle between the Texas Triangle teams for the top spot in the Southwest division.

2. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Theoretically, we should pick up this season where we started mid-season last year. Last year's record does not reflect how good this team was. If Juwanna Mann, Sura and the rest stay healthy, we should be able to do much better this season than last.