1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Generation War. 9/10. This was a 3-part HBO-type movie done in Germany. WWII from the perspective of five young Germans. Really well done with excellent production value. Maybe just a bit slow to get started, but holds your interest for 4.5 hours. Billed as sort of a "German Band of Brothers" with Spielberg/Hanks-style battle scenes.

2. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, that was good.

You reminded me of Generation Kill, HBO miniseries about Iraq War 2. Haven't seen it in a while but remember it being very good.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Palm Springs w/ Andy Samberg, Christin Milioti, and J.K. "Rowling" Simmons on Hulu

A rom-com in the vein of...
    Groundhog Day
    . I would describe it as slightly amusing and entertaining but not really funny. I fell asleep a few times but that may just be me. In the end, it didn’t bring quite enough new things to make it stand out from its predecessors. And, it felt too long at 90 minutes. Andy and Christin were pretty good playing the romantic leads. 7 out of 10

#8743 Surfguy, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  4. conquistador#11

"O" on Starz, 7.6 /10 : This is Julia Stiles' 2nd role in a Shakespeare adaptation film, the other one was 10 Things I Hate About You, an adaptation of Taming The Shrewd. "O" has a sneaky good entertaining basketball storyline. Some say (me) that it draws parallels with the early 1990s Dallas Mavericks that Toni Braxton broke up.
    Hugo is a Shane Battier type player with the ego of King James. He can play guard/ SF/ PF and is a plus cerebral defender, but unravels when his talents go unnoticed by his team, including his father the head coach. They could have won state!
    Always wanted to watch this movie back in the day but never did.
    It was originally to be released in 1999 , but was cancelled due to the Colombine Shooting, so it had to wait another 2 years. Martin sheen and Josh Hartnett were fantastic. I was a little disappointed with the talent surrounding the three stars of the team if you know what I mean. Something felt off with Mekhi Phifer's performance. He was more convincing in "Honey" and "Dawn of the Dead"

Sleepless in Seattle, on the 90s section of Netflix: 5.5/ 10, Had never seen it and I felt like an empty vessel after watching it. Baseball references 10/10, Movie title 10/10, Classic movie reference 10/10 but everything else was a big zero. I didn't think it was possible for Tom Hanks to have a movie that was not entertaining.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. body slam

body slam Member

Rambo Last Blood 5/10 not bad but not good either. They really should have stopped at #4.

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Slaughterhouse-Five. Here's a tricky movie to evaluate. Twenty years ago this was an 8 or a 9 out of 10 for me. While it stills holds up and is still worth watching, it has lost just a bit of its luster for me at least. There are better anti-war movies, and there's a dated quality to some of the humor that detracts from the movie now (primarily anti-gay jokes). I guess I'd put this now at a 7/10. Good, not great.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Any movie that causes you to fall asleep multiple times is not a 7/ 10 -- just saying.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Admittedly havent seen it yet, but I'm pretty sure the Harry Potter author isnt in it. I think you mean JK Simmons.

Surfguy likes this.
  9. Surfguy

yea but I literally fall asleep two times a day so I’m not sure I can blame the film. I’ve also got my parents’ 13 year old lab that pretty much sleeps all day so that doesn’t help. And, then there are the parents...who are in and out of consciousness all day long. I mean...it's a f*cking grand old time. Then, the f-ing pandemic. I mean...f*ck! I wanted to laugh more and this film did not do it. It was a C- in my book albeit the tomato-ians over at Rotten Tomatoes gave it an A (both critics and regulars)...so maybe my tomatometer is off? I don't understand how it got an A over there but WHATEVERs!

Did I say J.K. Rowling? LOL

#8749 Surfguy, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    KingCheetah likes this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Palm Springs 7.5/10

I recommend not watching the trailers before watching this one. Go in cold. The move is much better not knowing what is going on.

Just watched it. This is a solid 7.5/10 which rounds up to a 9/10 for a Hulu Original.

Curious if you watched a trailer before you watched this one. I didn't. Even though I agree there isn't anything new here, this movie is much better if you go in cold not knowing the Groundhog Day twist.

It's good I enjoyed it.

JW86 likes this.
  11. Surfguy

Alright. I spoilered it in my post for the 1/1000 (Trump reference) person who doesn’t read the description associated with the film they are about to watch that basically tells you the same premise as what I conveyed. I did it for you cold watchers. Sorry to the rest of you nitwits.

DreamShook and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Ford vs Ferrari - 9/10. Really well done. About as good as the movie Rush. The racing scenes had great suspense.

mikol13, Deckard and BrieflySpeaking like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

We watched this last night as well, both loved it. The cinematography of the racing was pretty amazing. Christian Bale was fantastic. Also a 9/10, maybe 9.5. great film

mikol13 likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is what it says on Hulu about the movie Palm Springs:

When carefree Nyles and reluctant maid of honor Sarah have a chance encounter at a Palm Springs wedding, things get complicated when they find themselves unable to escape the venue, themselves, or each other.

Pretty vague imo. You gave up the bag in your description.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The recommendation of Land of Mine was golden. THANK YOU!!!! Imo obe oc the best war (post war i guess) movies ive ever seen.

16. Surfguy

No comment.

#8756 Surfguy, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    KingCheetah likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dude, all I said is if you go in cold, it's a better movie. I didn't know this movie existed or what it was about until someone recommended I watch it and told me not to watch any trailers.

You don't know this is that kind of movie until 30 minutes in, and before that, there is a "wtf is going on moment". Of course if you already know the premise, the movie suffers because you have all the knowledge. I agreed with everything you said about the movie and we gave similar ratings.

it doesn't warrant that wall of sarcastic text you posted. no big deal. calm down.

JW86 likes this.
  18. Surfguy

Clearly just kidding around here.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

clearly.

20. Surfguy

Thought we were having a fun back and forth banter. I'll remove.

KingCheetah likes this.