1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Replacement Starting PG - Corey Brewer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Mar 25, 2015.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

http://www.awolfamongwolves.com/2014/11/bucks-103-wolves-86-corey-brewer-played-point-guard/

Last year when the T-Wolves were riddled with injuries, the replacement PG that stepped into Rubio's starting role was none other than Corey Brewer. His role was not much different than Bev's - bring the ball up and give it up to a facilitating wing. He's had experience, playing some PG in college. Imagine a starting lineup with Brewer in there... tall, athletic, better offense and transition... beast!

PG Brewer
    SG Harden
    SF Ariza
    PF Jones
    C Howard

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

We all know Harden would be the real point guard in that situation.

I like that perimeter trio in bursts, but defensively I don't think it's sustainable as a big-minutes lineup. Ariza on point guards is fun in the crunch, but I hate the idea of making him (or Brewer) chase good point guards all game and Harden won't be doing it.

3. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Would hurt our bench rotation immensely

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hope he won't have a goofy look if he is inserted at the 1 spot. I didn't know that he was forced to play as a PG by the Wolves. If he can do a decent job at it, I say go for it.

5. hakeemthagreat

Brewer's style of play is best suited off the bench. If Brew starts our bench has no energy. Terry has to start. Our defense will hurt but what's our other option? Prigs? Tony Parker would take his poor soul

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

He wasn't very good in that role, IIRC -- and he's definitely been vocal since he came here about how he's much better / more comfortable because he isn't being asked to play out of position like he was in Minny. Heard him say that in more than one interview, and in his Red Nation Roundtable thing, too.

ETA: Someone correct me if I'm wrong -- but I also think the Wolves ended up riding w/ Lavine for several games b/c Corey at point wasn't working.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Oh my god!

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I could see it more like other poster said. Harden play the PG position and then Brewer guarding the opposing PG on defense.

9. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Someone will have to play out of position. Dmo did it for a huge stretch. I don't want pablo and Jet on the floor for 48 minutes a game.

1 person likes this.
  10. Zbed

Zbed Member

Looks like Papa will have to get some minutes

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

If you're moving Corey to the starting lineup, it makes more sense to me to let Harden be the one playing "out of position" -- he's your defacto PG anyway. Probably not much difference between that & what OP is suggesting anyway. Whether you call Corey a PG or SG, you'd just be asking him to bring the ball up the floor and dump off to Harden / knock down open shots (as opposed to actually running the offense the way Minnesota expected him to). I guess the only additional responsibility would be defending the starting PG?

12. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Defending the other team's PG is what Beverley brought to the table, and Brewer probably has the best chance of replacing that. Out of all the guys I think he is most suited to play heavy minutes, so if Mchale manages the minutes correctly Brew can still get some time with the bench brigade. These are the tough decisions McHale has to make, and so far this season, he's done a great job keeping this team afloat through all the injuries. We shall see how he handles this one.

13. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Brewer has excelled at playing the passing lanes on defense and leaking out into transition. That means he's ideal for guarding a wing type player, or a catch and shoot guy. I'd rather put Ariza on PG's than Brewer. But Brewer off the bench is the right move imo, there's just too much loss of synergy we'd loss with the bench mob. Harden will always be there to carry the load with the starters regardless.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

If Bev can't come back, it's going to be a bunch of trial and error. Terry will start, but my guess is Brewer and Ariza share some time guarding PGs with Josh Smith sliding to SF.

15. Pete the Cheat

this should be the closing line-up. but I would preserve out current rotation as best I could.

16. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

JET or Pablo need to start. To finish games?

Harden
    Brewer
    Ariza
    Smith
    Dwight

17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i think corey defends the quick, PnR point guards extremely well, I've been hating begs PnR defence (although it is improving) still isn't were it was. this is what corey can do on the likes of irving which he has done or in the playoffs players such as curry, CP3, Parker etc

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I am unclear. If Bev is out for the season can we just sign any guard from the D League or anywhere else in the world who is not under contract? Leaving aside anyone eligible for the NBA Draft?

19. s.b713

s.b713 Member

I believe we can, but have no roster spot available so someone would have to be waived.

20. dje243

dje243 Member

Harden plays the point on O, Brewer guards the point on D. McDaniels should get burn with the second unit at the 2 or 3.