1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcast] Former NBA Player John Wallace on the Power of Humility

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OrangeRowdy95, Jul 19, 2016.

1. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

One of the greatest full-length interviews I've heard from any professional athlete...

John Wallace had some golden nuggets on the James Altucher Show (self-help podcast), including:

- Almost ending up in jail after stealing cars while in middle school

- Rejecting President Bill Clinton's call after a game

- Frugality and personal finance tips for professional athletes

- Importance of philanthropy post-playing career

- What he learned from Charles Oakley and Patrick Ewing

- How Jeff Van Gundy recruited him while an assistant at Rutgers and why JVG is the best coach he's played for (two different stints with the Knicks)... also said he and JVG still talk frequently

http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2016/07/johnwallace/

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

I recognize his face, didn't know his name tho. He has one of those faces that would piss you off on the court. Was he any good?

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I remember that he was one of the few bottom of the bench guys I had seen who could own a guy while on offense when given the chance & the right situation. A couple of times. he was averaging like 10 MPG for the season but he'd come in and post up our guy and score on 3 straight possessions - all him.

4. BackdoorHarden

Is this the same John Wallace from Syrancuse? I remember he was going to be a lottery pick, but he went back to school and dropped way down in the draft.

Should have left early for school like everyone else!

5. BackdoorHarden

Sames James Altucher with the stupid looking hair and making stupid stock picks?

This idiot is like John Wallace, a living joke

6. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

He was projected to go in the 1st Round after his sophomore year. He was guaranteed to be a 1st Round pick after his senior year. He finished third in the Big East in scoring that year (22.2 ppg, behind Ray Allen and Allen Iverson) and first in rebounds.

7. BackdoorHarden

Yea, I remember he was projected to be a lottery pick after his sophomore year and everyone thought he was stupid to go back to college because scout discrimate against 4 years guy.

He had an incredible senior year and yet, got drafted middle/late first round.

He could have been a somebody....like Kwame Brown, Jonathan Bender, S. Swift, that dude drafted by the Blazer and traded to the Bulls for that Blazer dude that went to the Spurs.