1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Paws up, don't shoot"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROXRAN, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Dog-shooting-generates-social-media-buzz-6043505.php

Is this a case of justified use of deadly force? ... I don't have all the details but as a gun owner I'm not going to see a pet family member being attacked to death and stand by watching it or to try to get in between and risk being mauled. People need to control aggressive dogs. They don't need to be roaming the neighborhoods unattended that we often see...they don't need to go to parks that can't be restrained. As parents and pet owners, we have a responsibility... Pets often see us as "mom and dads" in the family and it is up to us to create a path for the dog to have a secure life with a future. Blame is not on those who are ultimately defending themselves and their pets, it's on those that failed their pets with poor decisions and improper training.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No comment on this but I have a question do you.

You have a CHL and this happens to you. Your're the owner of the dog that got shot in a dog park...what do you do?

3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Real easy. If I had an aggressive dog that I couldn't control and it died it's on me as a handler if it attacked another dog and the human owner felt threatened.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Guns should not be allowed in a dog park, period. I was at the newly opened (and utter disaster of a park, they ruined it) dog park off of Allen Parkway on Sunday. While some dogs do get into territorial skirmishes I've never witnessed a full on dog fight. This guy needs to be punished somehow, and from the witnesses there this was NOT dog brawl, it's something that could have been stopped but the suburban "gots to pull outs my gun and defend #MURCA!" made an idiotic decision and should pay. POS.

Also, if your dog is not properly trained and/or has aggressive behavior towards other dogs or people, the people who own the dogs should have the common sense to AVOID a dog park.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The new dog park really sucks, huh? Was going to go Friday instead of work but if it's a cluster....

6. LonghornFan

In my opinion, it was way better before. The pools are WAY too damn big and take up half of the park, barely anywhere for the dogs to run, mud everywhere from the huge pools and the fools don't pick up their dog **** at all. Plus there were at least 300-400 people between the small and big dog park but only 16 parking spots. Brilliant idea.

[​IMG]

A muddy mess.

[​IMG]

Nowhere to even run with your dogs.

[​IMG]

Even the little pavilion is covered in mud and dog ****.

[​IMG]

One place to run with your dog but it's basically where all of the dogs go to ****.

[​IMG]

The small dog park was nice but my dogs would wreck **** up there. Plus it was too close to the Hare Krishna group playing hippie tunes on their blankets. I ain't got no time for that ****.

[​IMG]

Bad picks. I couldn't even see what I was taking pics of on my phone, it was too bright.

7. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Sounds like the other witnesses disagree that this was reasonable course of action. I tend to side with them. 3 rounds seems very excessive.

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the story says that the witnesses contradict this narrative.

so if it was your dog who was unjustifiably shot then what do you do?

when you have lots of dogs in an area there will inevitably be some squabbles. you cant go around shooting pups every time it happens. plus, with all the people around you are just as likely to hit one of them as a dog.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

The answer is he doesn't own a dog.

10. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I don't have a concealed carry license, nor do I own a gun.

But if someone shot and killed my dog, and I had a gun on me, legal or not, I would shoot that person.

When emotions run hot, it's usually a bad thing for guns to be present.

Here's another hypothetical:

If the man had panicked and just kicked the dog in the head or throat hard enough to kill it, what conversation are we having then?

Two things to take from this:

1. If you're even slightly worried about your dog's ability to defend itself, don't take it to a place where it can't turn left without a possible altercation.

2. Guns have no place at a dog park.

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I would have thought he was an active shooter since he pulled a gun and fired multiple rounds at a park with children.

Im amazed how scared some grown ass men are of everything. It's 2 dogs fighting holy crap just break them up. Stop living like a coward and scared 24/7. Man up and handle things correctly like you were raised right. What's wrong with you people????

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I would say that it's good that you don't own a gun and that you don't have a CHL if that would be your reaction.

As to the case, I'm torn about it. On one hand, your dog is your property and you have the right to defend your property, but the dog he shot was a bull terrier which isn't exactly the biggest dog and not something most would think was a dire threat. If his dog was being attacked by a doberman or a rottweiler I think he'd have a much better case.

If it turns out that he had no real reason to kill the other dog (which IMO is likely) they should prosecute him to the furthest extent of the law and he should lose his CHL and if there is a felony available to charge him with, possibly lose his right to own firearms.

While I'm all for self-defense and gun ownership, you have to be responsible. There's no place for irresponsible gun owners.

1 person likes this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

Fun fact: the shooter was an ex Marine. No one ever accused Leathernecks of being the brightest of the bunch.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I hadn't seen the breed of the dog that was shot, but I heard that the one which was "being attacked" was a German Shepherd. That dog should be able to take care of itself against a bull terrier unless it is old or infirm.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Thought this was about police
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YD2VOTQMGSg?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dog mess at a park where they encourage people to bring dogs? You're joking.

16. LonghornFan

Yeah, normal people with etiquette, or who can read the ****ing signs that are posted will use the bags provided everywhere and pick up their own dogs ****. Kind of common sense.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure that some guy pulling out a dog park and killing a dog anywhere in the vicinity of a human being would be easier to argue as a situation where you are justified to shoot, than the original guy pulling his gun to kill a dog to break up a dog fight in a dog park. Depending on details, I think there was a chance that killing the putz would be entirely justified.

Anybody have official figures on how many people have been actually killed by dogs in dog parks in the USA? I'm guessing it's closer to 0 than "a regular occurance". IIRC, the law states that you have to be LEGITIMATELY afraid for your life. If you have a phobia of spiders, you can't pull out your gun and start blazing away when you see a daddy long legs, and "defending your dog" isn't a legitimate use situation either. Also it is a freaking dog park. Context. You can't go to a hockey game and start blazing when a mass fight breaks out on the ice, though the same giant brawl in a bar parking lot with people swinging sticks around might qualify. Dogs gonna dog. If you are too much of a pansy to keep from peeing yourself when they do, stay away.

That having been said, the prosecutor will probably be afraid of the ****storm and potential jury nullification if he does prosecute, and will let it fade away.

The CHL law should have a hard, black line, crossing over which, you will end up with serious jail time. Taking on that power should endow you with an extra layer of responsibility. In practice, it appears to be the exact opposite. It seems every CHL story I read is all about "justification creep". If this keeps up, I might change my opinion on CHL's. It 20-30 years, it seems like people will be arguing justified use when someone cuts the line in front of them at the Stop N Go.

#17 Ottomaton, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Honestly, if it was my dog. If I saw a man pull out a gun in an aggressive manor and I had my CHL, I probably would have pulled mine out too. In an act of self defense, yelling to put it away etc.

It's crazy. My dogs are essentially part of the family to me. And it angers me thinking about the situation, of that trigger happy prick.

My dogs wrestle, and generally play pretty rough. It carries over to the dog park at times. They've never fought with any other dogs, but at times like to pin each other.

As for the dog park pictures posted above, that place looks terrible.

The parks in town I've taken mine to are the Bill Archer park in bear creek on hw6, and the Sugar Land dog park on University. Both nice parks with lots of space to run around in.

I tend to take mine to a park in Meadows Place though, which is run by Texas Direct Auto...nice little place where we are normally the only folks there.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

There is a reason most decent trainers (in my experience) will tell you dog parks are a bad idea but this story isn't it.

Even if the guy's dog was attacked (sounds like that isn't the case) he should have simply stopped the fight. If by some miracle no one at the dog park wanted to assist then I guess he could have pistol whipped the dog but too shoot it...and then shoot it two more times? Sounds like the guy just woke up that day looking to shoot something.

Give this idiot the maximum punishment allowed by law and then take his ass to civil court and take him for every penny possible.

BTW, nice butchering of the spelling of "Staffordshire Bull Terrier" in the article. In case anyone is interested, they typical grow to a whopping 25-30lbs.

20. False

False Member

Just some idiot who had a CHL and was itching for an excuse to use force. If it was a black kid in that dog park, the shooter would likely get off, but thankfully America likes dogs and there were some dog enthusiasts around so the dude will probably be punished.