1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olympic sport that is anticipated & watched most in USA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, Aug 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Was having a discussion with someone the other day about this. I believe everywhere else in the world Track & Field, specifically the main track events- 100, 200, 400 and relays are the most anticipated and watched of the Olympic events. In the USA initially I thought the same with track but I've been informed Gymnastics just might be the most popular Olympic event (over Swimming & Track). This takes into account more than just the past 3 or 4 Olympics with Phelps dominance and Bolt's dominance.

Do you all agree that Gymnastics is the most anticipated and most watched of the Olympic events in the USA? More so than Track and even Swimming?

If so, could it also be more nuanced, as in, among non-black American's, gymnastics is the most anticipated and most watched but among black American's Track is more highly anticpated and more of a must watch than gymnastics?

What do y'all think?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Depends on who is competing.

I'd say this year it was swimming (Phelps), then track and field (Bolt), then gymnastics.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I suspect many countries have affinity to certain sports and enjoy those sports the most. For me, team sports are my favorites excluding basketball. So far this olympics, I've enjoyed women's field hockey the best, but only because I turned it on during good games.

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

^ What about traditionally in the USA? Not just this year or 2012 or 2008 but in the 80s and 90s.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Probably gymnastics

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think it changes over time. Dream team was big one year. Gymnastics was crazy during the Strug year and is generally up there. Track and Field, at least in the Houston area, was bigger during the Carl Lewis days.

In my experience, the USA follows their best athletes in gymnastics, swimming, and team sports which causes it to fluctuate over time. I suspect if the US had a great sprinter, he'd get followed, too.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the track relays (4X400, 4X100) are my favorite

they really need to bring back Tug-Of-War, I bet it would get huge ratings

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Beach volleyball

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

The women love the gymnastics. So, there you go.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Gymnastics and then Track. It changes from Olympics to Olympics depending on who is competing. Swimming has only gotten popular lately due to US dominance.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Track the 100 meters in particular is the star of the Olympics -- there are way too many swimming events and gymnastics while really good don't seem nearly as exciting as they used to be.

12. Buck Turgidson

The best sport of all is volleyball, 2nd is handball, 3rd is water polo

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Pretty sure it's the Luge.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I think theres something to it with viewers by race, whites more gymnastics blacks more sprints. But I dont think the differences are TOO distant cuz once the games come on people are just gonna watch whatever is on. Something like diving and volleyball is gonna be race-neutral

I think it DOES matter if there's a black athlete in a given sport like gymnastics for blacks to tune in (which is why sprints are anticipated). Jamaican bobsled team didnt get made into movie for nothing. Seemingly regular inclusions like Dominique Dawes probably did a LOT to keep US black viewers interested and feel "united"

I think gymnastics (maybe all Olympics) in the past had more intrigue with the Mother Russia Commie intimidation and "US as Underdogs" angle. Now the US women go and systematically whoop up, so its not as much drama. I think for the men maybe they could play UP the men's almost-not-quite medaling and choking. It at least has drama even in a losing cause

16. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Overall - gymnastics for summer and figure skating for winter.

Personally, I was most looking forward to golf's return this year (and it didn't disappoint), followed by bball. Other than that, I enjoy watching greatness - Phelps/Ledecke, Biles, Walsh-Jennings/Ross, Bolt, etc.

Most surprising has been how entertaining indoor volleyball has been. Back in the day, when they had to be serving to score a point, I found it boring... but with a point awarded on every play, the pace seems to have really picked up and the matches are exciting.

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The events with guns

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

USA has a boner for swimming lately, it's on primetime every night. Traditionally it has been gymnastics though followed by Track.

19. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I like Beach Volleyball, but agree that gymnastics is probably #1 in the US

this x100

Would love to see John Cena & Mark Henry pulling the rest of the world into the mud!

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Archery duel was cool, then someone died, sport nixed, and became even cooler.

For sure it's Phelps. Swimming. That was must see TV for Americans, especially given the result was not necessarily guaranteed.