1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason Priorities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

1. Resign Foster
    2. Add a REAL number #2 receiver
    3. Draft a kicker
    4. Upgrade at second CB position

2. today

today Contributing Member

Ha, I tweeted Scobee last night, let's show him some social media love: https://twitter.com/#!/JoshScobee10

I wasn't able to find Reggie Wayne's twitter, any other candidates out there?

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm torn by this but I think it's time to let Mario walk. With him, I'm positive this is the #1 defense in the NFL. Without him, it's a top 5 and certainly more than enough to win the AFC South again. A WR2, re-signing Foster, CB depth, DL depth, and a new kicker are priorities. Brooks Reed is a starter in the NFL and they can draft his backup.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

sorry i disagree. casey has the best hands on the team and has much better speed then both daniels and dreesen. dreesen has him on the blocking but casey is young and can learn with more TE playing time. this is not a priority but my opinion to have an even more balanced and explosive offense.

all that said TE is not a major priority compared to the other priorities. As I said before, we saw what an experienced CB (Joseph) can do and rookie WR can have a bigger impact than rookie CB. So use draft for WR and go FA for CB.

5. Pete the Cheat

the whole point of cutting Jacoby is to clear more cap space to bring in better competition at the position. the guy is grossly overpaid and has been garbage as a KR this year.
    I advocate cutting Walter, as well, simply due to the fact you can get a lot more bang for your buck.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with the cutting of Jacoby. At this point I'd rather see Lestar Jean get time and then draft a WR.

I don't mind Walter on this team. He's just too solid to get rid of

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What was the name of that smallish return guy the Texans cut? He was like a waterbug back there?

I would prefer he be the return guy over JJ

DD

8. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Trindon Holliday. They still have hopes for him as a kick returner but he is an absolute waste of a roster spot. Cannot make the team better at WR, which says a lot since our WR core is not great

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This game exposed the receiving corp.
    Beyond A. J. Noone else showed up.

Rocket River

10. plates300

plates300 Member

How's our O-line depth? That was the one thing that was consistent all year long and they proved their worth. Any injuries on that line and we might be looking at a different team. I know that Caldwell was pretty bad when he had to fill in for Briesel.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think all those weeks without AJ exposed the receiving corp.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

1. The top priority in my opinion is locking up Foster and Myers. They are the best at their positions and I don't want the team messing with them.

2. I would also re-sign Mario. He's a difference maker. Pass rushers are not growing on trees. Imagine the Texans with a rotation of Williams, Barwin, Reed and Braman (or another speedy, pass rushing LB). I would ask Demeco to re-work his deal to clear up some space. He's a two down player at this point.

3. I could see the Texans drafting a guard in the first round. I wonder if they had a chance at getting a stud tackle, would they take him with the thought of moving Winston inside?

4. Maybe they draft a WR, but I would like to see them get a legit #2 WR in free agency since the learning curve for receivers tends to be steep.

5. Give Wade a healthy pay rise.

6. Look for another back up QB.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

True but the relationship between Pioli and the Pats had a ton to do with that.

Not saying there won't be teams wanting Mario, but not sure they'll be lining up with that price tag. I think it would be tougher to trade him than it was Cassel.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We have to get something in return for Mario. At least, franchise and trade him.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Again, per the new CBA, you cannot franchise with the intent of trading a player. I have no idea how this is going to be enforced, but I imagine offers will at least have to be exchanged. And if you DO franchise him, and can't work out a contract (even if negotiations are winkwink), you still have to find a trade partner that's willing to give up picks *and* offer him a huge contract.

My guess is he'll either be here next year, getting one-year franchise money (my best bet) or they'll let him walk.

16. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

anyone know our current cap situation to see how much money we have to pay these guys?

17. Pete the Cheat

with Rashad Butler (our best swing tackle) coming back off of IR, our depth should theoretically improve.
    Kasey Studdard was another guy we lost for the season, but I would consider him strictly positional depth...
    Shelly Smith is a guy you seem to hear a lot about during the offseason and preseason as having potential, but hasn't gotten alot of game time reps.

thats 3 guys on our OL coming off of IR next season.

18. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Wonder what JJ Moses is up to these days. He would be a better option than Jacoby for fielding punts.

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You're facing Peyton Manning/Luck, Stafford, Rodgers, Brady, Sanchez/Manning, and Cutler next year. In the draft first round, I'm looking to replace KJax. You can find a young WR in the 2nd and there are several FA options that could come cheap. KJax is not a starter.

20. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Unless you get an absolute stud in the draft, I'd prefer to acquire a new CB2 with some game experience. Starting a rookie is likely no better than starting Kareem.