1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason options: Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WestendMassive, May 6, 2014.

?

What move do you want to see at PG for the Rockets?

1. Offload Lin & Jones, sign Lowry

124 vote(s)
    33.2%
  2. Trade Lin & Jones for Rondo

155 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Sign Patty Mills with the MLE

22 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Sign Aaron Brooks for peanuts

24 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Other (please specify in thread)

49 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. WestendMassive

The Rockets' lack of composure in the first round of the playoffs unearthed a prickly problem: Houston doesn't have a starting quality point.

The team's lack of confident, assertive offensive playmaking really hurt against the Blazers, who were able to counter the Rockets' limited playbook of Harden isolation plays, Howard post-ups and a sprinkling of pick and rolls down the stretch, easily erasing multiple double-digit leads.

Upgrading at the point, however, could be a little tricky, considering the available options on the free agent market are pretty scarce.

What the Rockets have:

[​IMG]

Patrick Beverley would excel as a prototypical sparkplug off the bench; that critical change of pace player, the junkyard dog that unleashes a bucketload of bad attitude on an unsuspecting second unit, especially on the defensive end. But he just doesn't possess the offensive know-how to pick apart an opposition defense, and dropping dimes is certainly not his strength.

[​IMG]

Jeremy Lin is an enigma. One minute he is bamboozling defenses with his dazzling pace, while also showing an uncanny knack of scoring inside and outside of the paint. The next, he's airballing a three. His contract makes him the most likely trade bait, that is if Morey can find a taker for his unpalatable $15 million expiring deal, albeit with an $8.3 million cap hit.

[​IMG]

Isaiah Canaan was pretty good in the D-League but for the Rockets he's largely been an afterthought, not even suiting up in the playoffs.

Best outcome:

[​IMG]

Morey calls up a favour from his old boss Danny Ainge and offloads Lin and Terrence Jones to Boston for the $10 million exception created when the Celtics shipped Paul Pierce to Brooklyn. Morey then signs Kyle Lowry to a reasonable contract, say 4 years, $50 million, starting at around $10 million.

Despite there being a bridge or two to rebuild with Kevin McHale, Lowry would be a clear upgrade on both Beverley and Lin. Trading Jones would also force McHale to go all-in with a tantalising big man rotation of Dwight Howard, Omer Asik and Donatas Motiejuenas.

But if we're going to be completely honest here, it's never going to happen.

The Rondo option:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, if we're being honest, this one is also a reach, primarily for the fact that the Rockets would have to throw in a couple of draft picks, which we all know Morey is loathe to do, to have any chance of convincing the Celtics that this is the right deal for them.

While he can't shoot and won't really take advantage of the open looks created by Howard and Harden, Rondo has that same X-factor of competitive arrogance that we all love about Patrick Beverley, but he also combines it with a deft passing touch and a fundamental feel for the game that is difficult to measure.

But unless Kevin McHale reminds Danny Ainge that he owes him one for the Kevin Garnett gift-wrapping, Rondo's not going to be wearing Rockets red anytime soon.

MLE option:

[​IMG]

The only free agent point guard worth using a good chunk of the MLE would be Patrick Mills. Of course signing a PG gives the Rockets a logjam at that spot, tanking Lin or Beverley's value on the trade market. Mills isn't much of an upgrade over those two, if he is at all, anyway, so it's not all that likely that Morey would spend the MLE on the little wonder from down under, unless there's another trade lined up for a clear upgrade at another position.

Comedy option:

[​IMG]

Continue the proud tradition of signing Aaron Brooks for peanuts, not playing him unless someone gets hurt and then trading him at the deadline for a second round pick or a borderline rotation player. You know it's going to happen. It's destiny.

Ranking the Free Agents: Point Guards

Really good
    Kyle Lowry
    Eric Bledsoe (R)
    Isaiah Thomas (R)

Good
    Patrick Mills
    Greivis Vasquez
    Aaron Brooks
    Nate Robinson
    Mario Chalmers
    Ramon Sessions

OK
    Shaun Livingston
    Darren Collison
    E'Twaun Moore (R)
    Chauncey Billups

Bad
    Jerryd Bayless
    Luke Ridnour
    Steve Blake
    Nando de Colo
    Jordan Farmar
    Beno Udrih
    Toney Douglas
    Earl Watson
    Mo Williams

Derek Fisher
    Derek Fisher

7 people like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's a good discussion point. Hope you can do this for other positions too.
    Thanks.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You can get Rondo, Beverley, Asik and Howard on the same roster but I bet we still find a way to not play defense.

4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Greivis Vasquez

I like this cat. I don't think Houston can afford him though.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL @ your Derek Fisher category. I can't believe he is still getting playoff minutes.

Kudos to a nice summary of what we can do. I really agree with you about Beverly, as much as we love him. Playoffs need great execution (assuming you have, ahem, plays of some sort), and don't have a floor general right now.

Lowry seems very remote to me. I have to admit I kind of have high hopes for Rondo, who probably doesn't want to sit and rot in Boston's rebuilding program. I think we have enough shooters that we could really exploit his ball distributing along with a nasty defensive attitude for the team. Would definitely keep Bev as a back-up and injury insurance.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lowry is clearly the best player among these.

Also creates synergy with the Lowry-Harden Big Backside Backcourt.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I just think Toronto is going to keep Lowry. And I really do think Lowry wants no part of a McHale reunion.

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I think starting PF & backup wing are much bigger needs. I actually like Beverley. I think he fits our starting unit perfectly - basically a 3&D point guard.

I am all for offloading Lin, because he is overpaid. I don't know how feasible that is. If we do, don't sleep on Ramon Sessions. IMO, he can fill the role of 6th Man better than Lin even and at half the price. I think he is one of the most undervalued players in the league. Dude can get in the paint and make things happen. Just look at his FTA per game per 36 minutes. He's up close to 7 FTA's!!!! Very, very few players are at that level. I don't think he fits in well with the starters, because he's not a great shooter, but he would be a better, much cheaper (only made $5M this year) 6th Man than Lin.

I'm also curious to know how Canaan is on D. His shooting is something we can always use.

IMO though, we do not need a starter just for playmaking - Harden & Howard create enough offense & draw enough double teams.

9. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I wonder if Toronto will be forced to choose between Grevis & Lowry? They play them together frequently, so perhaps they wish to continue with this rotation in the future, but combined I anticipate they will cost ~$16 M. That may be steep for 2 PGs.

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I think Lowry would be the best fit. His personality is great for what you're looking for in a point guard. He would be great at initiating the offense, and keeping Harden and Howard happy, and he can move without the ball to the open spot, where he's become adept at shooting the three from all around the arc, particularly in the corner.

11. jamphus

jamphus Member

This thread is really meaningless if harden keeps the ball and acts as point guard next year.

12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

God, I'd do some disgusting things to get Lowry back. But the McHale situation likely thwarts that, even with growth from both sides.

I think if we found a way to keep Jones, shed Lin's salary, sign Lowry, acquire a veteran PF who can defend (a Brandon Bass/Nick Collison type), and maybe flip Asik for a legitimate defensive wing and a serviceable backup C...that'd be an ideal offseason.

Example trade:
    BOS out: Bass, 2nd; BOS in: Motiejunas, D.Arthur
    DEN out: W.Chandler, D.Arthur; DEN in: Asik, Two 2nds
    HOU out: Asik, D-Mo, 2nd; HOU in: W.Chandler, Bass

Then shed Lin's salary and sign Lowry. Maybe get a defensive C like Emeka Okafor at a bargain with some of our MLE.

C Howard
    PF Jones
    SF Parsons
    SG Harden
    PG Lowry
    -
    SF W.Chandler
    PG Beverley
    PF Bass
    C Okafor
    SG Daniels

13. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Out of this options, give me Rondo.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Why not consider Avery Bradley? Seems like he'd be an ideal fit.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I want Lowry, no question. But I didn't vote, because I don't want to have to lose TJ to get him & I'm stubborn. :p

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I don't think this team need a PG for a couple reasons. They're not WEAK at the PG position okay people!! They have Beverley and his defense is sorely needed in this league to defend the some of these great PGs in the league. And he can shoot. Lowry fit but he's need the ball in his hand all the time and that take away from Harden. Rondo can't shoot so forget it. Lowry fits this team better but like i said, unless you can get rid of Lin which i am sure it's hard to do without giving up draft picks. But since if we can get Lowry, why not get someone like Kevin Love instead to fill out need at the PF position because that is our weakness. So i wouldn't even look to upgrade the PG position. I rather upgrade our PF position.

17. jamphus

jamphus Member

agreed.
    PG is not our weak spot.
    PF is.

18. King901

King901 Member

Not sure why Steve Blake is bad...

19. Raven

Raven Member

Morey won't commit big bucks until he gets his third star, so we better be prepared for another season of table scraps.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ot-learning-more-from-kevin-mchale-in-houston