1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Twins @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 11, 2014.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

And yet for some reason, Marisnick will be in left, and Fowler in center.

2. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Maybe it's the arm strength, more opportunities to throw out runners from a corner OF spot? Or it might just be temporary, don't want to give a form of demotion to Fowler, jerk him around until Marsinick proves he can stick in the majors?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Really doesn't make much sense... in fact, his defense is basically wasted in LF at MMP. Rather have him at least play RF if CF is off-limits due to an "ego" thing, or whatever.

It still should be about putting the best possible team/lineup... and clearly this team is better defensively with Marisnick in CF.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Marisinick can even maintain an OPS over .700, he is a better player than Fowler. If Fowler insists on staying in center I would look to move him, but only if Marisnick finishes well.

This is clearly an ego thing and not a baseball decision, because defensively it's a no contest.

5. juicystream

I'm nearly positive that they are making the move because Fowler is an established vet, and they are giving him special treatment because of it. It isn't uncommon in baseball for that to happen. Fowler has started every game of his career in center, how would he feel if the team moved him off of a glory position, particularly going into his final year of arbitration.

My only other thought is that they plan on trading Fowler in the offseason, and he has more "value" as a CF.

Personally, I'd have Marisnick in Center, and have Bo talk to Fowler. Tell him the team still views him as a CF (as they also do Springer), but that Marisnick is just a special defensive player and they also think it might keep Fowler healthier.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He'll also make more money in arbitration as an everyday CF who can bat leadoff (vs. a corner OF), so its more than just ego.

As I said in an earlier thread, if Marisnick can show a semblance of looking competent at the plate, I'd re-appropriate Fowler's future $10 million+/year salary elsewhere.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Shoddy research. He started one game as a DH. :)

8. juicystream

DH doesn't count as a start in my book. :)

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dexter Fowler's back, batting cleanup. Grossman in left, Marisnick in right. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> <a href="http://t.co/wbtjENcNai">pic.twitter.com/wbtjENcNai</a></p>&mdash; Howard Chen (@ho_chenCSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/ho_chenCSN/statuses/499578035767873536">August 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. juicystream

Why on earth would Fowler hit behind the guy hitting HRs like crazy?

11. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Fowler hitting behind Carter is DUMB. The best OBP guy in our lineup and he is hitting behind the best homerun hitter on the planet the last 2 weeks.

Does Bo draw names from a hat?

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, I fully planned on skipping out of work early to go to the game. The wife's department is having a day out at the game, so thought I would join. Then remembered I work with a bunch of bungling fools, so there goes that plan unless they miraculously remove their heads from their rectum in the next 120 minutes or so.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Well, Fowler is hitting .400 from the #4 spot in his career. :)

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Altuve, Fowler, Grossman, and Carter would be so much better.

15. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Porter's lineups... he just doesn't get it.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If more than 7 people actually cared about his lineup, and this team, he'd be forced to do things better.

I doubt the front office dictated this move. This is all Porter. Id like to see his explanation of his reasoning.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll save you some time:

Q: Mr. Porter - why isn't Marisnick in CF and Fowler in RF?

A: Menacing Glare - 30 second pause - Next question

18. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Hate to ask this but does anyone have a link for those of us stuck at work?

19. juicystream

Does Porter think he is invisible?

1 person likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member