1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2010.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

None too surprising. I don't think it changes much of anything since Kubiak was mostly in control of the offense. Should be interesting when the Texans play the Skins next season, though.

2. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that this thread will have quite a bit more traffic than the Astros' Offseason Thread. ;)

3. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Draft a Safety. A great defense is always built from the outside first. My hope is that we can somehow move up in the draft to land my personal favorite Eric Berry who would solidify our secondary. If that's not possible then draft the next most pressing need a big physical nose tackle, Terrence Cody fits here perfectly and is projected mid to late 1st round.

Get rid of:

Dunta Robinson
    Chris Brown
    Antonio Smith

4. Egghead

Egghead Member

Draft Taylor mays

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Judging by his past hires, Kubiak usually hires someone he has worked or with somebody he really trusts like Mike Sherman, Alex Gibbs, or Ray Rhodes. As a result, I expect him to hire Rick Dennison. Dennison played with Kubiak in the 80's and were on the same staff in Denver from 1995-2005. He took over for Kubiak as Denver offensive coordinator once Kubiak left. He is currently the Bronocs Offensive Line coach. Another name is Jeff Jagodzinski who worked with Mike Sherman in Green Bay and Alex Gibbs in Atlanta. Both of them have good resumes and would be solid additions to the staff. As long as Gary Kubiak is here, I think the offense will be okay.

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Why get rid of Antonio Smith? He was the Texans best defensive lineman after Week 7. It took him a while to getting used the coaches, players, and system but he was solid versus the run and pass. He is never going be a guy who gets a lot of sacks but he will play the run at a above average level for an end.

1 person likes this.
  7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i was a critic, but i will admit my mistake.. Smith was solid, and the Texans should keep him. Need to shore up the interior wayyyy more than the ends need help

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree. Texans get really no production from Shaun Cody or Amobi Okoye. Only time they get good play from the interior is when they move Smith inside so Barwin and Mario could play on the edge. The ends on this team are real good and will continue to get better but the tackles are terrible any way you look at it.

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Offense:
    Resign OD
    Get more depth on the O-Line

Defense:
    Improve secondary (get rid of Dunta)
    Improve interior D-Line

Special Teams:
    Get new kicker
    Teach Jacoby to stop running backwards on returns

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd be content with taking Cody in the first round. Doesn't matter if we've spent previous first rounders on DT...it's still a pressing need.

Resign Pollard, Ryans, and OD.

I would also like to keep KW...if somehow we can't or don't, I have been pleased with Jacoby's progress this season. We'd just have to draft a WR in April.

Runningback will need to be addressed in the 3rd or 4th round. If not for foster's great play at the end of the season, I would have wanted a RB earlier in the draft.

11. kaleidosky

quoting Nick from the other thread

I hope these facts are the top priorities this offseason. i expect the secondary and running game to be addressed in the first 3 rounds of the draft. kicking game at the end of the draft and/or via FA.

pass rush, unknown unless they go DT early... and then choose the FA route for the secondary?

assuming the middle rounds will go towards OL depth and maybe a backup QB.

oh yeah, and please re-sign OD (and Demeco of course).. Pollard is a given.

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I also would love Terrence Cody in the first round. Pollard, Ryans, and OD should all be back next year no matter what. I don't think Kevin Walter will come back. I like Walter but I think Jacoby Jones is ready to be a starter and David Anderson is solid in the slot. Andre Davis should be cut because he makes $5 million dollars a year and is terrible both as a returner and receiver. I don't running back should be addressed in the draft until the late rounds or signing an undrafted free agent. I love the way Foster played the last two games and I am still not ready to give up on Steve Slaton. Also don't forget Jeremiah Johnson. They signed him as an undrafted free agent running back out of Oregon. He missed all of this season with surgery on a separated shoulder but he has a lot of talent. He averaged 7.1 yard per carry as a senior and at least 6.1 yards per carry all 4 years in college which is unbelievable. Between Slaton, Foster, and Johnson I think have some good young depth at the running back position.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

This I agree with. What the heck is he doing on this team? On returns, the guy catches the ball, runs up, and just goes right into a scrum instead of trying to gain some extra yardage.

Receiver - didn't even know he played that position with the amount of times Kubiak has played him.

He's trash that needs to be thrown out.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

isnt this the last year of his contract? I want to say that he got a 3yr deal after that one season where he had a good kick return year (especially with the 2 in 1 game).

I don't mind AD too much, he is a good special teamer but certainly isnt worth 5 mill a year. If his contract is up, i'd have no problem with him getting vet min.

side note; he is a super nice guy and class act.

15. Egghead

Egghead Member

If I had to choose a DT it would be Dan Williams from tennessee...IMO he's better than Cody

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Davis is scheduled to make $2.5 million, and that's more than the $2.1 he made this season. He doesn't make $5 million a year. He's signed through 2011, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut this offseason.

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Davis kind of disappeared with the emergence of David Anderson and Jacoby, and he's lost a step as a kick returner so he has no major value anymore. I think his contract expires after next year.

As far as I know, these are our significant expiring contracts:

OD
    Walter
    Dunta
    Grossman
    Chris Brown (goner)
    Ryan Moats
    Chester Pitts
    Mike Briseil (rfa)
    Nick Ferguson
    Matt Turk

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The biggest problem that has to be addressed is that the Texans could not run the ball, before and after our starting guards got hurt. The prior year, the Texans could not run the ball in the Red Zone. (I have been overly critical of the Texans OL in the Kubiak years. I will say that this year the OL did a much better job of protecting the QB.)

The defense could stand pat next year. The last half of the season, the Texans defense was above average. How low has it been since we could say that?

19. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Dunta says he wants to return, even if hes franchised.

Link

20. kaleidosky

Don't particularly want Davis back.

But I do want Walter back. He had a down year, but he's solid and consistent. I don't trust Jacoby...and probably never will. He can break some big plays, but he has brain farts. He still drops punts, and I think we'd see more of what we saw yesterday (pass through hands to other team) if he played more WR.

Walter wasn't targeted as much this year.. but he didn't drop balls. In an offense that is extremely efficient and has a stud like AJ, I'll take guys like Walter and DA who are consistent and don't make bonehead mistakes. We don't need Jacoby on the field a ton when he will too often make a bad play that negates his big ones