1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Patriots @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly. As we were doing this in the first or second quarter, I thought ....why did this take so long?

Part of it is because we never had the personnel, but why haven't other yes done it?

And we did all of this without Conley, who will make us better.

Just amazing all around.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He will learn to slide. That guy is special.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This is true, you still need good "slot" corner types to make it work well as guys like James White can still beat DB's more times than not unless they are good at covering quick hitting routes. Glad we have stockpiled DB's to see what sticks. Seems like each player on the defense has a role and each player's strengths align with our defense.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They're now 22-12 when Watson starts, and 11 of those 12 losses were by 8 or fewer points. I'm not sure why that's significantly less meaningful than being 0-1 in the playoffs with Watson starting, but...

Also, I feel obligated to point out... sure, they beat Connor Cook - big whup, right?.... Yeah, the Texans started Brock Osweiler, who's essentially a 3rd string QB. BOB deserves a little more credit for that win than is often given.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

And the person that gets credit for that?

Yep. O'Brien. That all happened in the off-season and in season. Kudos to O'Brien the GM for overhauling this roster quickly since Gaine was fired.

Quite honestly, I think he's been better as a GM than as a coach.

Rudyc281 and csj like this.
  6. FEDEXROCKETS13

Man I can't wait to see our secondary at full health roby Conley hargraves johnson Joseph Reid addai and Gibson could be great

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

GM needs to sign Roby long term immediately. Dude was a game changer. Hes been out and we suffered.

8. SuraGotMadHops

Rollins, Ambrose, Reigns...we are the SHIELD!

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was meaning more like at risk for ACL tear or running back type injuries. Running backs have a generally short career, and quarterbacks with that kind of rushing are more vulnerable. I think of guys like RG3 and Newton, or even Watson in his earlier days. I'm glad he doesn't run as much now.

#649 deb4rockets, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    mario_v and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And we should definitely keep Hargreaves as well.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I can’t predict the future but all I know is Watson, Jackson and Mahomes are must see tv. Those brothas taking over.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Hope I don't draw the crazies out but this is interesting

macho GRANDE, Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

#653 Houstunna, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Good point. That Chiefs game is in the discussion for sure. I don't know that it's more emotionally significant (given the history with the Pats), but as a road victory it was HUGE.

macho GRANDE and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

John McClain’s takeaways from Texans 28, Patriots 22

joshuaao, macho GRANDE and pgabriel like this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

"Most significant regular season victory in franchise history" is an interesting subject.

Beat 10-win Steelers team @ Heinz Field (this was a defensive showcase for the ages)

Beat heavily favored 10-win Miami team to open the year
    Beat 11-win Superbowl Bound Carolina team

Beat 11-win Dolphins team
    Beat 13-win Titans team (4th of 4 game win streak putting playoffs in reach for first time in franchise history... where we immediately pissed that away @ Oakland)

Beat 10-win Patriots team to secure first winning season in franchise history

Beat 12-win Steelers team (infamous Foster-Polamalu play)
    Beat 9-win Bengals team on the road w/ backup QB to secure first playoff berth in team history

Beat 12-win Broncos team in Denver
    Beat 10-win Bears team in Chicago (brutal game)

Beat 12-win Bengals team in Cinci

Beat 12-win Chiefs team

Beat 8-win Chiefs team in KC
    Beat 10-win Patriots team (bonus points for primetime since we suck donkeyballs in those)

If we're judging wins on quality of opponent (record + home v away) then both have a chance to be up there depending on how the season shakes out, but I'm not better that the KC win ends up looking quite as good as it felt in the moment.

MadMax and Hey Now! like this.
  17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

This. He was sitting in the pocket, going through his progressions, and abusing the Patriots up the middle when he had to. There was much less of the running himself into a sack drama this game, though he did have a few fantastic plays he extended with his legs to great effect.

He's looking like a QB who also runs. Rather than a running QB. The former can last a long time in this league.

18. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Sure. If they have the money. They're on the hook for 140 next year, and need to sign the following (IMHO, 'important' UFA's: Hyde, Fells, Reader, Mercilus, JJo, Roby, and pretty much all of the skill ST players: Anger, Weeks, Fairbairn. There are others, but the above are key. Plus, they have to find extensions for Watson, Tunsil, and a bunch of others if they want to do that next year instead of waiting until 2021.

It's a lot of guys, and not much uncommitted money. The "Maximum Salary Cap", per spotrac, this year was 214-ish. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/yearly/cap/

How they get there from a salary cap figure of 188.2, I dunno. It was 177 the prior year, so assume another six percent bump next year, from 214 to 227.3 or so. Can they sign everyone with 227 ish minus 140, or 87 million? I'm not sure. Which is why the GM position in a salary cap league is such an important position, and why teams really, really like cheap draft picks.

All worth it if they get a ring this year though.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So I mean...we handled what was the best team in the AFC going into the night.

No small thing. Considering we beat KC too that means the only team we have to fear are the Ravens...but I hope the experience has taught us something against them.

It feels good having a decent secondary, for so long we've sucked back there. I say decent because the Pats basically have no weapons in the passing game this year, lets see how consistent they can be .

macho GRANDE and Fullcourt like this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Team with the best record, not the current best team

Gray_Jay and Nimo like this.