1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Patriots @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 28, 2019.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Ok, I stand corrected. Thank you for the clarification.

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

No you can't. The rules literally says the kicking team can't advance an onside kick.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This was a great win for OB, the team and fans. The Pats Monkey is finally off our backs. What will always bother me is our lack of "killer instinct" and seemingly not want to finish the kill while a team's down. Pats ran out of time and luck tonight, but we made it much closer than it should have been.

Really proud of the defense adjustments we made by doubling Edelman and putty CBs on White. Smart defense. Wish we could have been tougher on NE's last drive, but we got the W, which is huge.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Last week, what seemed like 8 pages worth debating over what ended up being a meaningless timeout.

Now I expect the same debates over that meaningless last Patriots drive.

Stay consistent Texans fans! Waiting for somebody to throw out the stat that the Crenel Texans are actually undefeated in games where they use the prevent defense in the 4th quarter....

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It took us 7 years to break the losing curse against New England. Tonight I will go to bed a happy camper. Goodnight Clutch fans. We can sleep soundly after breaking the curse, and staying on top of our division with the best win of the year.

raining threes and Tfor3 like this.
  6. DVauthrin

As I posted in my reply to @STR8Thugg, I was wrong and you were right. Only the defense can advance an onside kick.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

DW4, Jackson, and Mahomes. NFL future is in great shape.

8. DVauthrin

That stat doesn’t exist. The Texans’ lost in New Orleans in their first game of the season by playing prevent defense with six seconds remaining, allowing the Saints to have a chance at a game-winning field goal as time expired.

It ended up being meaningless, but, if Brandon Bolden recovers the second onside kick instead of just getting his fingertip on it, that drive was not meaningless. Brady would have had 50 seconds to go roughly 50 yards for a game-winning touchdown.

#588 DVauthrin, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    raining threes, Gray_Jay and mick fry like this.
  9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Meaningless??? The patriots were an onside kick recovery away from having the ball with 50 seconds left needing a TD to win. How is that a meaningless drive?

mick fry likes this.
  10. AstrosRockets1818

What is this the BCS Rankings? Style points mean zero. Geez. I hate most Houston Texas fans. It makes me wanna puke after wins against the ****ing GOAT coach/player of all time. Seriously dude.... go whack off in sink or something.

Colt45 and BigShasta like this.
  11. AstrosRockets1818

We beat the 10-1 patriots bro. Seriously relax. On another note Trump is winning next November. How much do you hate your life?

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wasn't a true prevent... where you don't bring any pressure, you play soft coverage without any double-teaming/schemes, and you basically set everything up to avoid a deep ball that scores fast.

If you think every 'non-press coverage' defense or every defense that gives up underneath yards is a "prevent"... then this conversation won't be all that productive.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

?

I thought BoB did well, where's the critcism?
    I just personally detest conservative playcalling, especially if it's against a good team. BoB's playcalling at the end of the game burnt up like 50 seconds and gave the ball back to the patriots which they scored.

U don't have to dick ride the coach for every single thing he did, regardless of how well he did. The man wasn't perfect.

U and Scarface gotta stop being offended/butthurt over every little thing especially when it comes to BoB.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Texans dominated 95% of that game (especially when they had the ball)... a far cry from what everybody expected.

It was meaningless from the standpoint that the end result remained what it was. Yes, the 7% chance of them getting the on-side kick kept me watching till the end... and Houston football franchises have lost one game where they had a 99% chance of winning... so I guess "anything" is possible with this scorched fan base.

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Patriots have still have Chiefs and Bills. If we win out and Patriots lose those two games, we get the 2 seed.

BigShasta likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Debating this theoretical turn of events is exceeding the definition of "meaningless".

If the BOB Texans have a penchant for blowing big 4th quarter (or 2nd half leads), please point out specific examples. Its actually the one thing that nobody has been able to really criticize him for... his teams do protect 2nd half leads (even if its not always sexy).

I'll take teams needing 2 fourth quarter scores and 2 on-side kick recoveries to beat them... they'll end up winning a lot of games if that's the case.

17. DVauthrin

While it wasn’t a true prevent defense, considering the situation (six seconds remaining, up by one, and the Saints had to get out of bounds to have any shot of attempting a game-winning field goal), it might as well have been.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Would be surprised if the Texans win both Titans games... and the Bucs will put up points on this defense.

Win the division (ie - make the playoffs), stay relatively healthy, and take your chance with Watson in the playoffs. If Baltimore is the #1 seed, there's a good chance they're going all the way.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

????
    Again, not at all a comparable scenario. The Texans had to have a stop on that drive to win the game.. they didn't get it. They did not have to have a stop tonight on the last drive to win this game. They won it by stifling the GOAT QB for the vast majority of the game, and torching the best defense in the league for 4 passing TD's.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I think that was from 2017.

red5rocket likes this.