1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who are the QBs after Mariotta and Winston

Looking around the league . . who are the GOOD young QBs?
    What are you thoughts on Tannehill in Miami? Anyone of his calibre in this draft?

I honestly say . . if Washington releases one of its QBs the Texans should at least consider it

Rocket River

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

RYAN MALLETT UNPLUGGED ABOUT HIS FUTURE
    P.D. Starr
    Owner/Editor
    Houston Texans quarterback, Ryan Mallett, addressed the media prior to the Texas Bowl at NRG Stadium about the season and future with the team.

Houston Texans quarterback Ryan Mallett addressed Arkansas media prior to the Texas Bowl at NRG stadium and the upcoming free agent talked about this future with the Texans.
    Mallett’s season was cut short after two starts when he tore his pectoral muscle on his throwing side that left the Texans with a small sample size of the quarterback for the 2014 season. The Texans have made it clear that they want to bring Mallett to back Houston, but a deal must be struck to keep the big armed quarterback in Houston.

On His Injury and Timetable
    “It just depends on the rehab. I am going in tomorrow morning, today was the last day, but I am going in ready to go,” said Mallett of his injury. “I should be, there is no question I should be ready to go for training camp.”
    On His First NFL Start
    “It was a relief and it felt good to get that win. Now I am hungry,” he continued.
    “I don’t know what I showed people, I just wanted to get a win and went out there and did that in the first game. In the second game I was hindered a little bit, but that is not an excuse I still feel like I could have helped my team win the game.”
    On His Pending Free Agency and Possibility of Returning to Houston
    “We will see,” Mallett responded when asked if he is going to return to Houston. “I play football, you know that is not what I am worried about. We will see what happens and I have not talked to anyone about it and I don’t intend to until it is that time.”
    When asked if he wanted Houston to be the first choice, “I would love to be here.”
    On the Texans Finish to the Season
    “It was awesome seeing them rally around Case (Keenum) and get those last two wins. Obviously you know we wish we could have done better during the season but we didn’t,” said Mallett. “I think now we have an understanding of where Coach (Bill) O’Brien is going with this system and organization on what he wants to do. It is exciting being part of it at this moment.”
    On His Goal with the Texans if he Returns
    “To win a Superbowl. That is my goal.”

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Why was my offseason thread closed?

4. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

You could almost look and say our biggest needs are what we draft last year.

OLB-need another pass rusher, I wouldn't have much faith in Clowney returning
    G-XSF was my favorite pick last year. Looks like i was wrong
    TE-no comment needed
    NT-I believe NT is a big need. Before Pickett got here it was a gaping hole and I wouldn't put my hopes in Nix
    QB-should be higher on the list
    Also:
    Slot WR/returner-Keshawn "fair catch" Martin has to be replaced
    S-Manning needs to be upgraded. Need to decide on Lewis.
    CB-hopefully KJ returns and JJ is resigned at a better price.
    C-I also believe Chris Myers may be cut too. He didn't have the greatest year and he'll count 8 million against the cap. Is Ben Jones ready to move to C?

5. conquistador#11

sign kareem jackson, mallet. newton and opt in on merciless. then, sign everyone else at 50% off, enter coupon code: PAYMERICK

look for a free safety in FA.

draft best available, mlb, dt, rb wr.
    we will probably find a stud wide receiver from some practice squad and nobody will mention it because we struck out in the 3rd/4th round.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Who is Merick and why do we need to pay him him?

This team has a lot of needs. Can't draft badly again.

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Sam Bradford?

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

No thanks.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Internally...

• Re-Sign Mallet
    • Restructure or trade AJ
    • Restructure or release Cushing
    • Re-Sign/franchise Jackson
    • Re-Sign Pickett

Draft or Free Agent

• ILB
    • KR/PR
    • OL Depth
    • TE
    • WR if AJ is gone

10. Raven

Raven Member

Texans are going nowhere until they get a good QB. Mallet didn't get a chance to prove anything, one way or the other, so the safe approach is to either draft a well regarded prospect or sign/trade another vet.

11. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Was Kendrick Lewis really that bad? He had his awful moments, but he definitely played better than Swearinger.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Slowly . . . . Mallet's price tag is beginning to worry me
    Sign him but .. . make it cap friendly and easily gotten out of if it goes south

Rocket River

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

The Houston Texans continued building their roster for the 2015 season by adding defensive end Tevita Finau.

14. sydmill

sydmill Member

I know opinions are like a$$holes and all but I think we re-sign Mallett to a 2 year deal for modest money (the carrot being a chance at a payday soon if he plays well) and then draft a guy for BOB to groom in the event Mallett flops or out performs what we can sign him for in a few seasons. I like the idea of Brett Hundley in the second or Sean Mannion in the 5th or 6th. Hundley is the prospect with more pizzazz but Mannion may be more O'Brien's style (big, pocket passer but maybe lacking a rocket arm?). I really want us to pick Malcolm Brown in the first to plug in at the nose and make either Pickett or Powe expendable without relying too heavily on Nix. A Crick/Brown/Watt line would be a hell of a thing to watch next year...

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Are any of those prospect better or more upside than Savage?
    If not . .. what's the point. . . Savage been in the system a year

Rocket River

16. Remii

Remii Member

Probably not and I seriously doubt the Texans will burn a early draft pick on a quarterback especially if they resign Mallet and keep Fitzpatrick.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It seems like it's popular to mock Landon Collins to the Texans at 16, does anyone think we go with a small safety in the first?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Heh, "Small Safety", I obviously meant "Strong Safety"

19. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I never thought I'd say this, but we need to hold onto Kareem Jackson

20. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Don't expect a QB to be drafted - I think Bill would rather wait until 2016 when his boy Hackenburg enters the draft. This will also give him a year to further evaluate Mallett as the starter.

Would love a more offensively polished TE ala Walford from the U. Him & CJ could present some nice targets for our QB. Think this type of player can be had in the 3rd. Time to say bye to Graham.