1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mariners @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Talk about the series here. Please no PBP in this thread. Unless otherwise noted all games are on CSN-H (for about 40% I guess).

4-22 Felix Hernandez, RHP vs. Brad Peacock, RHP 7:10

4-23 Hisashi Iwakuma, RHP vs. Bud Norris, RHP 7:10

4-24 Joe Saunders, LHP vs. Lucas Harrell, RHP 1:10

2. msn

msn Member

The turnaround starts NOW!!!! #partylikeits2007

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cisnero on his way to join Astros

The Astros are preparing to call up right-hander Jose Cisnero from Triple-A Oklahoma City, making him the second RedHawks pitcher to come to Houston in as many days. Lefty Brett Oberholtzer was called up Sunday morning and made his debut against the Indians, throwing two innings.

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow couldn’t be reached for comment, and it’s unclear what the corresponding roster move will be. Cisnero was on a flight to Houston from Albuquerque, N.M., on Monday.

Cisnero has appeared in three games, making one start, for the RedHawks, going 1-1 with a 9.35 ERA in 8 2/3 innings. He last pitched Thursday, throwing three innings Round Rock. He had a terrific year in 2012, going 14-7 with a 3.70 ERA in 20 starts at Double-A Corpus Christi and eight at Oklahoma City.

He’s expected to provide support in long relief for a bullpen that has had to eat up a lot of innings in the last week. Only one Astros starting pitcher has pitched into the sixth inning in the team’s last six games, including three starters that didn’t survive the first inning.

4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Too soon to try and jinx the perfect game? :(

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Maybe replaces Oberholtzer. Trying to keep fresh arms as injuries and starter's short outings continue to to haunt our pitching staff.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

LLW

Take 1 out of every 3 to keep the season decent..

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

???? why on earth would you want to jinx bradley peacock like that??:grin:

i'd hate to say it, but i'm going to the game, and if it's in tact after like 4 innings, i'll be rooting for it.

would be cool to witness one.

9. juicystream

That is something I never want to see.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

saw it already last year. the sting is gone for all future perfect games to me...especially with our current team. although the rangers pitching one against us would hurt.

11. juicystream

Still will hurt every time.

Kerry Wood, Carlos Zambrano, & Matt Cain. All 3 historic, all 3 suck balls. :mad:

Now, if he goes 8.2 perfect, and Marwin breaks it up again, that I could be happy about.

12. desihooper

Supporting Member

The Cain game? If so, and if King Felix does it to us tonight, I think we might need to take up a collection to keep you away from the Astros when they take on a bonafide ace :grin:

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

ha...no, saw it on tv i meant.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

only one that bothers me in hindsight is zambrano, because it was horse*****.

wood ends up being a cool memory because of how vividly i remember it. me and my college roommates in our dorm room in shock every batter.

cain sucked when it happened, but he's a stud and was pitching against subpar "talent". was rooting against it, but takes the sting off any in the near future.

hilarious that we are talking about realistic potential for something to happen tonight that has happened 30-something times in mlb history.

15. desihooper

Supporting Member

At least we got a hit off of Wood, that Hurricane Ike game against Zambrano was a load of you know what. I was in Baton Rouge watching the end of the Cain game from a hotel bar, and it was a helpless feeling. The Darvish game just had that feel about it early on, so thank you Marwin for sparing us from that ignominy!

There just aren't a lot of "professional hitters" in this line-up, so they're ripe for the picking when they run into someone with A+ stuff.

Moving onto my next lament, I was listening to the end of Sunday's Indians game and can't help but feel that Castro (didn't he ground to third to end the Cain game too?) might have been over-drafted. Between him and Jio Mier, I have to question what the heck Bobby Heck and Ed Wade were doing...

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Starting with Indians series, <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Astros">#Astros</a> play 26 games in 27 days. Opponents: Mariners, Red Sox, Yankees, Tigers, Angels, Rangers, Tigers <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23MLB">#MLB</a></p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronAstros) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronAstros/status/326511792568295425">April 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Luhnow on schedule, pitching: "That’s almost a critical situation and we have to respond by using the resources that we have available."</p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronAstros) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronAstros/status/326512051570741249">April 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jose Cisnero player of the game

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The Wood game sticks out for me as well. I lived and died with every Astros game that season. The 1997 season was really the first one I followed closely, as I was coming into my formative years as a sports fan as a kid, but 1998 was on a whole other level.

Anyhow, I remember looking in the paper the morning of the game and thinking "who is this Wood kid? The Astros are going to shell him." You have to remember that this was before the internet was what it is today. Only the nerdiest of baseball nerds followed prospects like just about everyone does today. That, combined with the fact that I was ten years old, contributed to my ignorance on just how good Kerry Wood was.

I also remember that Shane Reynolds threw a gem that day but it didn't matter. If you're some sort of masochist and want to relive some of that day, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL7Rj_Wda74

Take note of just how old Derek Bell looks. He's like a baseball version of Greg Oden.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Starting pitching ain't giving them ----. These guys are lucky to make it to the 4th or 5th inning.

20. juicystream

Castro wasn't a big overdraft. DDJ was more of an overdraft. Even looking back at the 2008 draft, it looks like it wasn't an overdraft.