1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officer shot this morning in Missouri

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jsingles, Jul 8, 2016.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, there are still incidents like that one. But not very many. Those are the ones, though, that I think should be the real focus, as they seem to most clearly be cases of unnecessary actions by police, and hence ones everybody can get behind without much argument.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you think upsetting or angering a cop justifies death sentences . . . . ..
    You have no idea what FREEDOM means

That said I pray for injured and dying.

Rocket River

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

First legitimate example of a wrongful shooting I've seen in a while and the cop should do time as a result.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I said it would solve "many problems" - e.g., Eric Garner, Mike Brown, Alton Sterling, Freddie Gray, etc. The vast majority of situations involved resisting the police, which no, is not a death sentence by itself, but it certainly escalates the situation, and serves to increase the chances you'll get popped.

5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Tex... I understand what you're saying and I do agree..

Just do as you're ask and then get the things sorted out later.....

But as RR stated, that does not give the police officers the right to be judge, jury and executioner.

Sandra Brown did as she was asked and again another senseless death...

The problem with all of this is it makes it bad for the community to trust the police and it makes very HARD on the good cops out there and their the ones paying the price for the bad ones.

T_Man

6. bigtexxx

Oh gtfo with the Sandra Bland example. She killed herself! She acted like a complete confrontational idiot with the policemen and then hung herself at the jail. The police didn't kill her.

7. T_Man

No sir i want.....

She never should have been put in that situation in the first place...

See this is the big issue... You see nothing wrong with entire Sandra Brown incident and from the Black community we have seen TOO much of this type of incidents...

T_Man

8. body slam

body slam Member

There are some bad apples on both sides. You could you also say

The problem with all of this is it makes it bad for the police to trust the community and it makes very HARD on the good citizens out there and they're the ones paying the price for the bad ones.

9. T_Man

I totally agree... It makes it bad for the good people on both sides the community and the police...

T_Man

10. bigtexxx

Completely ridiculous response. Many people get put in jail. 99.9% do not hang themselves while in jail. Sandra Bland acted the fool with the cop, and got put in jail. Then she took it upon herself to commit suicide. To use her as an example is just absurd.

1 person likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The problem is the Police do not police their own. They let their own get away with murder, literally. It seems that the worse thing that happens to a policeman when they are doing bad stuff is they get fired, and that is only after a very long suspension process where they are still getting paid. There are bad seeds in every bunch, but the fact that the police do nothing to the bad seeds causes distrust. It also doesn't help that racist assholes tend to gravitate to jobs where they are put in position of power.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I love how someone who EXPLICITLY stated "Give me the damn ticket and be done with it!" was 'resisting'. Yet, the highly trained officer who ought to be professionally trained in de-escalation gets butt hurt and yanks her out because his feelings were hurt. Why couldn't he just write the ticket and be done with it?

13. body slam

body slam Member

I see your point, but the same can be said about the communities that do not want to get involved. You have bad people doing bad things and the good people are afraid to say or do anything about it. Others act as if its not their problem because the were not the victim.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I thought we placed a higher standard for LEOs? Shouldn't public servants who have the authority to use deadly force with their own discretion be placed to a higher standard?

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

So Tamir Rice wasn't a legit example or maybe John Crawford will due.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, neither of those are examples of wrongful shootings even though they are examples of tragic misunderstandings. The Minnesota shooting should result in the officer going to prison for voluntary manslaughter, in those other 2 incidents there was no police wrongdoing even though people were shot that didn't represent a real threat, only a perceived threat.

17. body slam

body slam Member

They should be held to a hire standard and be held accountable for their actions. They also deserve to be treated with a lot more respect for what they do.